CLUNKING SOUND FROM PASS WHEEL SIDE?????

E4 FENN

mr fenn
Reaction score
HELLO ALL,I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY AUDI A3 1.8 T,SINCE I HIT A KERB IN THE ICE WITH MY PASS WHEEL,ITS MAKING,A CLUNKING NOISE ( SOUNDS LIKE METAL HITING METAL) IT GETS FASTER AS I DO,CAN FEEL IT IN THE STEARING WHEEL,ALSO IVE NOTICED IT GETS LOUDER WHEN THE CAR IS IN GEAR AND BRAKEIN,CANT HEAR IT AS MUCH WITH CLUTH IN....AM GUESSING CV JOINT?BEARING?.....THANKS FOR ANY HELP GUYS N GIRLS....FENN =)

My friend had this, was his driveshaft bent.

Check it out...

Theres plently of 2nd hand ones on ebay if it does turn otu to be this.

He did his the same way to.

hope you sort it mate.

Theres plently of 2nd hand ones on ebay if it does turn otu to be this.

Have a look, if it is a bent drive shaft don't buy a second hand one straight away because it might not be very cost effective in the long run.

You can buy a fully built shaft with two new joints direct from Audi for a little more than a quality CV joint from GSF. We found out the hard way...

The best way to check the shaft is to put it on a ramp or jack the front end up, visibility is pretty good so just pop the wheel off and turn the shaft with your hand and have a good look. The near side drive shaft is thinner than the off-side so it will be slightly easier to damage. Give it a hard twist clock wise and then anti clockwise as well as pulling it in and out of the gearbox, then try turning the wheel lock to lock and inspecting the outer CV joint for splits in the gaiter and feeling for harshness or any biting in it as you turn. You will be able to tell if the driveshaft has been knocking anything by looking for any marks and digs on it too.

Good luck ! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
CHEERS GUYS I HOPE ITS NOT TO MUCH OF A "HIT" TO THE POCKET,LOL I HIT THE KERB FAIR HARD!!, FULL ON FRONT WHEEL HIT,WHILE I WAS TURNING.....ANYWAY AM RUNNING SILLY 20" WHEELS SO EVERYTHING WILL BE UNDER STRESS...ALSO THAT SIDE SEEMS TO RUB MORE TOO EVEN ON JUST SLITE TURNS,HOW MUCH YOU TALKING FOR A NEW DRIVESHAFT AND CV JOINTS FROM AUDI??......IS IT POSSABLE IVE BROKE A DISC/HUB/DROP LINK/BUSHS???

Shaft with joints was about a hundred odd quid from Audi IIRC, can't remember exactly how much but I remember it was cheap!

You might have bent the lower arm, which is a bit more likely than bending a drive shaft and will explain the rub on that one side. When the car is jacked up have a look at that and see if it's bent too. Drop links are plastic but you wouldn't be able to put the right stresses on them in a side on impact I shouldn't think but again worth a good look especially if there is damage to the lower arm. Wouldn't worry about the disc, thats held on by the wheel and there isn't really anything to break.

It serves you right for putting 20" wheels on an A3 though, what were you thinking !

:icon_thumright:

okay thanks,20" =each to there own....its a show car really...but i use it..

I had noise on my front wheels recently, it was the disc gaurds rubbing on the disc so bent them back. Prob not related to you prob but thought i would share