Want to chip new S3 but need help....

I

imported_ashs3

I know I have not picked my car up yet but want to know what chip/remap people would suggest I have done?

I want to do the straight jump from 210bhp to 260/265bhp, now AMD do it for £550 fitted
Jabbasport for £525 fitted, now I am thinking of AMD as they are well known and are leading in the chip poll thread. Any help on this front is very welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

About to pick up an S3 as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I'm gonna go for the AMD one as never heard any bad feedback about them (should be a good run home after it's done too)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

If you search the board there are hundreds of opinions as to which chip to go for. No one is correct, most produce similar power figures, rolling road plots can be deceiving.

I would be happy with MTM, APR, AmD or Jabba (as the main UK options)

I am a customer of APR and AmD, and they are both excellent products.

Thnaks all, gonna go for the AMD chip I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ashs3 said:
Thnaks all, gonna go for the AMD chip I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice... you wont be disappointed...

[ QUOTE ]
gek said:
Why has nobody mentioned Revo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, im going this route i think. Its more convienient as there is a local agent and he takes pound notes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the only thing which puts me off slightly is the lack of a b4 and after rolling road results, but hey you should feel the differnce anyway and from what everyone keeps saying about RR results - well lets just say i have plenty of toilet paper already!

Oh, and the free 5 hour trial before you buy, is a good deal. Try it first to see if its worth the cash!

Ash
I too am in the same situation and have spent sooo much time looking at the pro's and con's of each provider. You can only take in so much information before it becomes infomation overload and you start to question your first thoughts.

At the end of the day you have to go with who you feel the most comfortable with, as it's you who'll be driving the car and having to deal with any 'issues' that might arise.

That said however, don't make a decision until you've also spoken to the UK distributor for Oettinger - www.oettinger.com

They are more expensive than most at about 1k for a re-map and the 'published' Bhp gains only about 250bhp, from a standard 225 S3, but the thing that sells me on Oettinger is the torque gain, after all this is what counts when driving day to day.

Standard S3 = 280Nm; Oettinger S3 = 370Nm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The UK distributor also said that Oettingers claim of 250Bhp is only the minimum you will get and could well exceed that.

Good luck with your search.

£1K for a re-map, their having a laugh? I could get a 205 Gti for that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where are Oettingers uk agent based???

There is also Sportec if you are interested.... www.sportec.ch

I've done all my mods from sportec and I'm pretty satisfied!

G

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
£1K for a re-map, their having a laugh? I could get a 205 Gti for that much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Where are Oettingers uk agent based???

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is expensive, but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Now I am not saying that this makes it the best, but, for example, if you buy Louis Vuitton suitcases you are going to pay a premium as you know it ouzes quality, and I haven't spent 25K+ on a car to fit the cheapest re-map I can find.

The UK dealer is:
Road and Sport Developments
Unit 15 Baird Close, Drayton Fields, Daventry
NN11 5RY Northants
UK
Phone: 01327 706444
Fax: 01327 706445
E-M@il: info@roadandsport.co.uk
www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk

Can't remember the chap's name I spoke to, but they seem to know what they are talking about and also include a warranty for work carried out, just incase Audi refuse any work as a result of the re-map.

I've used Jabba in the past but dont like the way they solder in a new chip, its just a pain in the *** when you trade your car in at the dealers!

REVO for me im affraid and if it fcuks up something or fails i know where the guy lives so i wont have to drive for 4 hours to knock his teeth out!

Ash...

I have an Oettinger remap and...

Yes - 1K is a lot
Yes - You get what you pay for...
Yes - The torque will give you a hard-on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yes - Noodle is bang on, if you're lucky enough to own an S3 in the first place why go cheap on it? Would you fit remoulds when the tyres wear out? No!
The guys name is Danny... He's a star!
Yes - They cover any warranty refusal. Not that I have had it refused... All warranty work has still been honoured without question so far, my Audi dealer acknowledges that Oettinger are the respected professional tuners amd don't have a problem...
Yes - They are the real german deal...

Wizard

Hey guys

I'm also looking for a remap soon and wonder why no-one has mentioned the One-Click that is currently available for S3's ? I know a while back there was much interest in a group buy from AmD which I don't think materialised (I'm happy to be corrected on this). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My reasons for wanting it are that it removes the original program and reflashes the new program into the original chip via the diagnostic port. You can also reverse it back to the standard program if required and vice versa. Unlike the others there is only one program in the chip at any given time - serial port tuning normally adds a second program to the original chip.
This is important because VW Group delears CAN now detect if a car has been rechiped or if there is another map installed. If they hook the car up to their full diagnostic system then it connects back to Germany and reads everything from you ECU. It will 'see' if the car has been remapped because there will either be a different chip in the ecu, or a different size of program (the two programs, standard and modified, use more space than just standard). With the One-Click being able to install just one program at a time into the chip then it 'should' not be detectable. (never say never)
I'm not saying that this will invalidate a warranty should your car be in for something like the airbag light coming on but if it was due to the engine management light coming on then that may be a different matter. Also if you get your warranty invalidated it would show to all VW/Audi/Seat & Skoda dealers systems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
This has only recently came to light and all dealers may not yet hooked up to the central system but I believe my source to be reliable. This new system is to be used by dealers to help them diagnose and fix problems more accurately - a bit like a central reference database and it can tell the tech how to fix the faults found (so even less chance of them using their brain and common sense then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif )
I'm not trying to scare anyone but for me it's important as my car is still under warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lastly I would recommend the same as Dave R and also feel that REVO is a big no go. Without being libelous and it's only my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif, I just couldn't trust that my engine and turbo would be reliable running their software as I really don't feel that they fully develop it and I have seen other evidence that totally discounts many of their claims.

Right I gotta get out for a drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kev

Oh I'd just also like to say that you often do get what you pay for but the tyre example isn't a good one I'm afraid - Michelins and Dunlops tend to be very expensive but are rarely included in what you would put on your S3 when others offer better performance and value for money !
£1000 or there abouts for a remap - where can the extra cost be justified ! I just don't see it as any other tuner worth it's salt will ensure you are cared for if there is a problem due to the remap. I never look for the cheapest option but simply buy the best quality that I can afford. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

right drink here I come !!!

Kev.

Slo Jo - please dont start posting comments with innuendos about REVO (hasnt this been done before?). Perhaps you also didnt realise that AMD One Click has never been and is not at this time available for the S3? Perhaps you meant Dual System by DMS Automotive in Andover?

I would also like to point out to David R that just as Star is an APR dealer, so are Stealth Racing a REVO dealer (ie before and after RR). Have you read the thread recently on UKMKIVs about the R32 getting APR'd in a car park and VW Assistance having to come out and flat bed the car home as it wouldnt start again?

In terms of the REVO method being dated (its not imo), although I am a big fan of the APR switchable cruise method (having had it myself), it doesnt offer the amount of switching that the REVO SPS device does. IMO the best stage 1 chip for someone should be based on selecting one from the group of reputable tuners of AMD, APR, REVO, MTM, Jabba or Ottenger etc, then work out who is nearest to you and then base it also on the one that offers the capabilities you want (ie serial map or solder, switchable or not)

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
No_Slo_Jo said:
Lastly I would recommend the same as Dave R and also feel that REVO is a big no go. Without being libelous and it's only my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif, I just couldn't trust that my engine and turbo would be reliable running their software as I really don't feel that they fully develop it and I have seen other evidence that totally discounts many of their claims.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify - REVO software is good, as I stated above. I suggested caution due to the potential lack of dealer backup in the even of problems, but didn't say (as has been pointed out above) that the software itself is suspect. It's known to be one of the best.

[ QUOTE ]
No_Slo_Jo said:
This is important because VW Group delears CAN now detect if a car has been rechiped or if there is another map installed. If they hook the car up to their full diagnostic system then it connects back to Germany and reads everything from you ECU. It will 'see' if the car has been remapped because there will either be a different chip in the ecu,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please back up your comments with facts

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Slo Jo - please dont start posting comments with innuendos about REVO (hasnt this been done before?).

[/ QUOTE ]

No innuendos mate just (as stated) my opinion which I understand is allowed here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and was based on facts I know about but thought may be libelous to spread details of.
What I wrote did imply that DaveR had said similar and for this I apoligise - it was not meant to read that way (I'll blame my craving for a drink at the time). It was meant to show that overall I agreed with DaveRs comments but with one or two differences.

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Perhaps you also didnt realise that AMD One Click has never been and is not at this time available for the S3? Perhaps you meant Dual System by DMS Automotive in Andover?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again my fault /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif and apologies as I was getting my names wrong (NOTE to self: don't rush when posting!!!), it was the Dual System from DMS but aren't the programs for them developed by Geoff, previously of AmD fame ?
No-one metioned the Dual System either though so anyone got any thoughts on this ??? It does look like a rather cheap and tacky unit I'll give it that but Geoff is a bit of a legend.

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
Have you read the thread recently on UKMKIVs about the R32 getting APR'd in a car park and VW Assistance having to come out and flat bed the car home as it wouldnt start again?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've also heard of a few instances where a car wouldn't start after being APR'd but all the ones I know of have been due to connections problems with their server when downloading the new prog to the chip. BTW Dunc sounds like one of those innuendos comments mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
IMO the best stage 1 chip for someone should be based on selecting one from the group of reputable tuners of AMD, APR, REVO, MTM, Jabba or Ottenger etc, then work out who is nearest to you and then base it also on the one that offers the capabilities you want (ie serial map or solder, switchable or not)

[/ QUOTE ]

makes sense and is exactly what I'm doing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
No_Slo_Jo said:
This is important because VW Group delears CAN now detect if a car has been rechiped or if there is another map installed. If they hook the car up to their full diagnostic system then it connects back to Germany and reads everything from you ECU. It will 'see' if the car has been remapped because there will either be a different chip in the ecu,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please back up your comments with facts

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fact as much as I can verify as my source is very reliable (I did say as much in the post). That doesn't mean if you go in and ask the dealership that they will admit to it. Sorry but don't really know what you expect otherwise and if I thought it was not legitimate then I wouldn't have mentioned it as I don't spread unsubstantiated rumours.

i took my s3 to jabba sport and they DON`T solder a new chip in its is done via your serial port and then rolling roaded to perfection

My MKIV Golf Turbo was chipped at jabbasport and they removed my ECU and soldered a new chip to the board but this was 3 years ago, maybe they have changed!

a lot of tuners upload the code via the OBD port these days.

ive heard it depends on what year your car is whether they can to port tuning or not???