Service due which oil ?

ex_scoobydoo

Reaction score
hi
ok my car is due a service its done just over 120000
its had all long life services in the past but i plan to service around every 6 to 7 now i own the car, i will get a genuine oil filter, but what oil is best to use and what grade, also i plan to change the spark plugs, any sugestions on which are the best to use, should i consider anything else apart from what i have said above?

here is a dumb question aswell
how does the car know the service has been done, to enable the service light to go off on the dash.
thanks.

you can use the buttons on the cluster to reset service counter, it is in the user manual.

i am about to service too, using standard ngk pfr6q plugs and was planning on using castrol edge 5w-30 oil.

did fuel filter today, couldn't believe the colour of the sh.. that came out the old one!

fuel filter thats an idea i will replace that also, i have just bought the car so im not sure tbh when that was last changed.

I use Quantam Silver fully synthetic which I get from my local VW dealer (used to work there)

Also fuel filter isnt a usual service requirement as far as Im aware on petrols, on diesels they are as the water content can mess them up quite quickly

Thats fair enough, but if youve got crap and water in your fuel system, youll know about it!

Buy the Quantinum stuff....I used a 5 Litre bottle on the S3 and had a little left over so im guessing you should get 5 Liters to be on the safe side.
Hope this helps.

would comma 5W 30 SEMI SYNTHETIC be ok for services around every 7k
i dont see the point in buying expensive longlife fully synthetic oils when i dont plan to do longlife services.
if someone could advise please as the service is due tomorow.
thanks

After advice from Opie some time ago I've been using the below, it's the correct spec and just about the best oil you can get. It's not that expensive if you buy when there's a special on like there is now either:

Motul 8100 X- lite 0W-30 Gasoline and Diesel engine oil 100% Synthetic – Ester Based

i use millers fully synthetic its good stuff, made my car a lot quieter

After advice from Opie some time ago I've been using the below, it's the correct spec and just about the best oil you can get. It's not that expensive if you buy when there's a special on like there is now either:

Motul 8100 X- lite 0W-30 Gasoline and Diesel engine oil 100% Synthetic – Ester Based

Its what i use and it is supposed to be the best oil you can get. However whether the difference would be noticed to halfords special is another matter. Its nice to you you've done the most you can to prolong the life of the engine though.

It is very good oil indeed, but you would not notice the difference between it and cheapo stuff. Well not until a few thousand miles down the line when things start going wrong if you've been using basic stuff

What oil is the better option for a rebuilt up rated engine?
I am using the quantom stuff at the moment... but not sure its the best i should use

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]I would use a good 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Out of those, the best ones are the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. With the mods done, it's not worth using a lesser oil. Quantum is pretty basic stuff, more about meeting specs than performance use.[/FONT]
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-si...nthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx

Hello,
What type of motor oil is recommended for audi s3 1999?
I can not find any label in motor space.
Thank you