AMD remap??

I

imported_velcrobix

I'm thinking of getting my 210bhp S3 remapped by AMD to take it up to about 265bhp. What sort of performance improvement should i expect to see?? eg 0 - 60, 0 - 100 mph

I would like to know the answer too, mine is 225 at the moment.

I would also like to know:

-- does this wear the engine out quicker, and if so which parts are at risk?

-- does it invalidate the Audi warranty? Mine still has 18 months to run

-- what is the typical insurance increase?

-- how does it affect the resale value of the car?

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1) Define quicker.. of course its going to have an effect on the parts of the engine as they're working harder. But from reading a lot on this site most people have chipped their cars with no ill effects.

2) If Audi can attribute the faulty part as a direct result of you chipping the car then yes it'll invalidate your warranty.

3) how longs a piece of string.. whats your current insurance like etc etc. My current insurance for a t-sport is 500 quid for a chip it was an extra 100 quid.

4) Again depends on who you ask and who you sell to. I think the forum is split on this one.. half think it increases, half think it decreases.. I personally am in the decreasing camp as I wouldn't buy a car which had been chipped.

btw I'm getting mine chipped in a couple of months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not sure about this "working the engine harder" business. I'm not particularly technical, but my understanding is the remap actually makes the engine more efficient.

Therefore the engine actually has to work less to achieve the same performance as stock, this is why some owners experience improved fuel economy e.g. if at standard the engine sits at 3,000rpm at motorway speeds, after a remap it may sit at 2,900rpm - therefore less stress on the engine and less fuel used.

The above of course is my opinion, based on what i've read here, I would like the opinions of chipped A3/S3 owners. Btw i've not read any reports on here of dissatisfaction with the reliability of chipped Audi's, certainly nothing that can be attributed to the remap.

I don't have a chipped car as I am waiting for a solution that can be switched between stock and remapped without c/control and is COMPLETELY undetectable (that could be a bit much to ask). AMD OneClick would have been ideal as it also could have been posted to me.

One final note is that the issue of warranty seems to be particular to the dealer. Although they theoretically should act as Cebrey said and only reject claims attributed directly to the chip, some can be awkward around this and really put you through the ringer.

You may be lucky most dealers won't even check or notice a remap, at the end of the day they get paid by Audi for warranty work, and few really care.

Unfortunately my dealer told a colleague of mine if he puts his Miltek on his V8 S4, he'll invalidate his warranty. What a bunch of nobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

My guess is an extra 55 bhp should knock about a second of 0-60 but does anyone know any definate figures??????

Its difficult to say because if you tried a 0-60 sprint in the same car 5 times in a row, chances are your gonna get 5 different times (albeit within 0.5 - 1 second of each other)

You'll see 0-60 in a 265 bhp S3 in about 5.5 seconds (obviously depending on whether conditions and air temperature)

[ QUOTE ]
Leddy said:
I'm not sure about this "working the engine harder" business. I'm not particularly technical, but my understanding is the remap actually makes the engine more efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]
The way I thought they chipped cars was to mess with things like boost, air and fuel mixture etc... If you increase the boost your making the turbo work harder. If you change the air / fuel mixture your invariably going to be doing it to create a bigger bang.. I don't know how its done.. and someone is almost certainly going to correct me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I'd be very suprised if you could magic 50bhp from a car and not make it work any harder.

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:
[ QUOTE ]
Leddy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
The way I thought they chipped cars was to mess with things like boost, air and fuel mixture etc... If you increase the boost your making the turbo work harder. If you change the air / fuel mixture your invariably going to be doing it to create a bigger bang.. I don't know how its done.. and someone is almost certainly going to correct me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I'd be very suprised if you could magic 50bhp from a car and not make it work any harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Primarily, its the boost that is changed. S3 is normally 0.9-1.0 bar and chipepd they are usually around the 1.4bar mark. This is the main thing that is changed. fuelling is then changed to suite the new boost levels.

Rich

Cheers paul. Definatly going to get it remapped, just a matter of getting the cash together.

What are peoples views on declaring remaps to your insurence company?

[ QUOTE ]
velcro said:
What are peoples views on declaring remaps to your insurence company?

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been discussed soooo many times.. The vast majority of people share the same view as above. If you have a serious accident and kill someone, you could be looking at millions in compensation.

From leicestershire. Only just bought the S3 a couple of monthes ago. May need a new clutch before i get it remapped though.

Get a swichable map, like the REVO port switch and you dont need to tell your insurance company as long as you only use the high performance map on the track.

You can always make sure the stock map is programmed before making any claims, if your in such a state that you cant your car will be undrivable anyway so they couldn't proove its chipped anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Get a swichable map, like the REVO port switch and you dont need to tell your insurance company as long as you only use the high performance map on the track.

You can always make sure the stock map is programmed before making any claims, if your in such a state that you cant your car will be undrivable anyway so they couldn't proove its chipped anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]Risky buissiness though insurance companys are sly fcukers you know.

Yeah i know but if a dealer cant detect it until on the move i dont see how an insurance assessor can. It probably can be detected but its your own insurance who inspect your vehicle and its more bother than its worth.

If its plastered in tuners badges however it might give the game away.

Erm, they would probably be dead and your insurance would be void!

Seriously, i see your point but its just another exuse to ramp your premium when its already rediculous. I have never claimed in 12 yrs but still pay £800 because my car goes faster than average yet it also stops handles and faster and is harder to nick so - go figure!

I agree with Nervus. I work in the trade and I know for a fact that insurence inspecters do not go into that kinda detail, and the Police do not have the time to road test vehicles that are still in a drivable condition (this may just be the situation in my region admittidly). Its a risk, I admit, but a low one.

[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:
if you dont want to pay the premium dont do the mods!!

simple really.

[/ QUOTE ]True theres always that 1 in a million chance,if people start thinking it wont happen to them its more likely it will and you'll get your ar$e sued off yet alone lose your car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Yes it was my mates fault.. hence the reason he went to prison. Unfortunatly it was going to take something like this to stop him .. and sadly it cost the life of another person as well.

I don't know what the legal stand point would be from an insurane POV about a switchable map for road / track use. I think prosecutor in case like this would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the map was switched on at the time of impact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.. could be tricky .. personally I don't think its not worth the bother of not insuring it as a mapped car. My premium will jump 100 quid when I get it mapped next year.

Insurance is the only reason that I have not had mine chipped yet, it will go up £600 if I do. Unless, it only gives me 10% more power, (only £100 increase) an Oettinger chip will give me an 11.1% power increase. Close enough?

[ QUOTE ]
cybrey said:

My mate won't get involved with the insurance claim.. he'll have to live with what hes done for the rest of his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

And im sure that is punishment enough is it not?

Im going to be paying £13-1400 next month when i renew with 300bhp + other mods. Regardless of if it costs more, i will definately be paying it because with mods like mine, its WAY too obvious its been played with and not worth even considering not declaring it!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
If it has been chipped but the standard map is used for the road and only switched at the track i dont see what that has to do with my insurance as i take out track insurance when on the track.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but I'd like to see anyone on this forum who has a switchable map and drive it on the road in standard mode. Why chip the car and not make use of it on the road and just on the racetrack? You've just spent in the region of 500 notes on your car to drive quickly on the race track and want to go home with standard power, knowing that you have access to more... it's just not happening. What if you accidently forgot to switch to standard mode on the way home?, you won't be insured in the event of an accident right?? Just pay the extra premium and enjoy your car both on and off the track!, you know it makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah i think ill ring my insurance and see what it would cost if i had my car chipped. Does it go on power or do you just say its gonna be chipped?

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
Yeah i think ill ring my insurance and see what it would cost if i had my car chipped. Does it go on power or do you just say its gonna be chipped?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres different bands of increase. >10%, 11%-24%, 25%> if i recall correctly.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres different bands of increase. >10%, 11%-24%, 25%> if i recall correctly.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

And there must be a seperate band for yours Rich, like 110%> lol

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
And im sure that is punishment enough is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tbh imho I don't think any punishment is enough for behaving like a **** and taking someones life... but hey some just call me harsh ..

[ QUOTE ]
Murdoch said:
Cybrey, please re-read my thread, and that will give you all the information you need.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I don't quite follow which post yours follows on from ?

Sorry, guess it was a while back, only log on at work (shhh) and I haven't been in for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

You questioned where I got my information from (not particukary politely mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and I have said all I can in my previous post. i.e where I get my information, I work in the trade (that is all i'm prepared to say for obvious reasons). I did say though that'maybe it differs from region to region'.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the incident with your mate, that storey unfortunatly isn't uncommon. If only the 'boy racers' could appreciate the dangers of hooning around at 40, 50+mph around town /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Lord knows what happened to the spelling checker, I must apologise for the spelling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Just got back after a heavy four days.........

Sorry was having a bad day when I posted that.. I'd just finished reading the press coverage ( 1, 2, and 3 ) of the trial and I came on here and read that someone was considering not telling their insurance company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cybrey,
No-one has actually gone and had their car "chipped" and not told their insurance company so you can sleep soundly at night. I was just exploring the legal stance on the subject.

I dont see what business it is of yours however. Your typical of the zealous attituded pleb, President Blunkett is trying to overrun the country with. Got an opinion on everybody else's buisiness. You must be very proud of yourself keeping everybody on here in check.

Actually if you look back at the thread you'll see that velcro asked for an opinion on whether it was worth telling your insurance company or not. All I simply pointed ( or tried to) was that there other things to consider beside saving yourself a couplf of hundred quid.