Youtube link for My S3 @ the Drag Strip.

flamed, grilled and smoked!!! lovin it.. get ready for the launch!

the "rev limiter and dump the clutch" technique is interesting. genius

erm, if you know anything about launching an S3 you will realise that 5k is the minimum you need to be aiming for to reduce the bogging down....

ha ha you roasted people from the get go lol

Yep loads of revs and dump the clutch if your car is awd and your clutch is up to it.

Looks good but you wont see me on a 1/4 in the s3.

ill take your word for it that you need 5krpm at a minimum. downward slope of the torque FTW :idea:

erm, if you know anything about launching an S3 you will realise that 5k is the minimum you need to be aiming for to reduce the bogging down....

Don't just take my word for it Matt, if you dont dump high you simply won't get the times, the rest of the forum will back me up because thats who i got my info from.... dump any lower in a mapped S3 and your heading for high 14's....dump 5k your heading low 14's and in some instances very high 13's....

Ive also been able to test the theory and guess what, it works.....

unless you wana buy an S3 and prove all these people that have actually done it wrong? that would make you sound less daft preaching about sumat you don't clearly know anything about (regards this car anyways)

a couple years back a group of us bought some super fandango gtech timing gear. one night we went out to put some times on an a3 20vt which had been remapped etc. i consistently got 6.3s-6.4s and i wasnt launching anywhere near 5krpm, the reason being... to take advantage of the 20vt diesel power delivery

and for the sake of a few tenths... is it really worth having to change a clutch etc thats daft

thats what your not understanding, launching an A3 is in no way the same as launching an S3 quattro...plus you were driving a 20vt diesel???

you really need to think before posting here cos you have just commited forum suicide

a couple years back a group of us bought some super fandango gtech timing gear. one night we went out to put some times on an a3 20vt which had been remapped etc. i consistently got 6.3s-6.4s and i wasnt launching anywhere near 5krpm, the reason being... to take advantage of the 20vt diesel power delivery

and for the sake of a few tenths... is it really worth having to change a clutch etc thats daft

I think if you are really that worried about your car parts then you should not be doing this anyway,just leave it at home and watch everyone else do it.

definately. the rev limiter launch had no mechanical sympathy at all. youve got to be a nutter to be driving an everyday car like that, like thrashing a labrador trying to make it run like a grey hound

exactly Matt :) as Jase said it isn't for the best regards the cars mechanics but to get the times from the quattro you HAVE to do it if thats whats important to you.....

for the record I didnt launch mine from 5K....most i felt comfortable with was 4k which i slowly increased to throughout the day and saw results improve as a direct consequence of.

Im interested in this 20vt diesel you had? can you tell us more :)

Tim's dead right on this one. 5K and step off the clutch. It's a bit mad because it still bogs down a bit. Funniest thing is that unless you have a big turbo, the S3 doesn't make any power much after 5K so it's a bit of a mind f**k as to changing gear.

One thing I can reconmend is not looking downwards towards your handbrake if using the previously mentioned technique as it causes major motion sickness when all 4 wheels grip and shoots you forwards. I nearly threw up all over my dash!

I was due to do a 1/4 mile last weekend at Modified Madness at Thorney Island, Hampshire but due to not being able to find my driving license, they wouldn't let me run :(

I don't deny that its the best way to successfully launch an S3, but i won't be doing it. Clutches cost too much!!

I tried it at 4k off the lights in order to get ahead of some slower traffic and it definately works...But the clutch smelt after!!

hmmm i think it matters how you do it as my clutch has never smelt after doing anything like that....is it possible you lingered or released it too slowly? not having a go would just like to understand why matey :)

I find the best way to launch my car is not actually holding it on 5k revs but bleeping the throttle Up to 5k , as you keep bleeping the throttle time it with comming off the clutch, but you have to have the revs up when you come off, when I look for a serious launch like this I don't get a hint of the car bogging down, the car just lauches sticking me in the back of the seat as I then go to grab 2nd...If your clutch smells you haven't come off quickly enough and rode the clutch, not very nice...

I used to drive an A3 1.8T and that was a completely different car to launch...

Not sure I understand the confusion here, if you watch & listen to my car in the video you can here that I'm blipping the revs @ around 5k then coming off the clutch, not side stepping it just bringing it up quick. Theres NO bog down on my launches just the suspension compression then off up the strip.

As for the wear & tear on the car, I ran aprox 20 times that day & the car still feels fine, fare enough the clutch might not last as long as it would if I had not been on the 1/4 but I'm not bothered as I can replace the clutch myself without any difficulty.

Ewan.

where do you find out about the drag races. i was going to go to thorney island/ hayling island to, is 10 minutes away from me