Clutch

RobS

Reaction score
Hi Guys

First post on the site and I need some help please.
Having had 2 new clutches, 2 flywheel's a slave cylinder and master cylinder over the last 13 months, the problem has now just reared it's ugly head again!! After leaving the car for 10-15 minutes (e.g go to the shops and come back) the clutch pedal when depressed has no free play, is solid and the biting point is at the top of the pedal, when accelerating hard 2500 rpm onwards clutch slip is evident. The stealers, 3 in total have all tried to deny a problem exists, hence new clutches and flywheels being fitted for fun!! The last guys fitted a new master cylinder and all seemed to be well for 5000 miles but here we go again.
Any help will be gratefully received.

Rob

ps car is S3 2002 - totally standard

the only way to adjust the pedal height is by changing the clutch which you have done twice before, the master cylinder and the slave cylinder would not generaly cause the clutch to slip, and please ignore the comment about techs not caring, remember they drive these cars all day and they know what is right and wrong with your car, just ask for a master tech to look at it!!! are you sure that you are not riding the clutch even slightly as you have said you the pedal is right at the top of its travel, the most likely cause is the clutch, didi they relace the pressure plate as well as the clutch or not?

Not sure if the pressure plate was changed. The problem really is with the pedal having no free travel at all, but this is only after the car is driven for a distance, left and then driven again. If the car is left for 20 mins and then driven the problem occurs. If left overnight then all is fine in the morning. I agree then the Techs are good but on the last occasion they could not find a fault with the car that is until the service manager drove it home for the weekend and he experienced the problem at first hand and apologised for having doubted my driving.
I have owned many cars and drive 20-40,000 miles a year. This is the first car that has needed a new 2 clutches and flywheel's after 12000 miles.

this is a very unusuall fault and one i have never come across before so i can be quite sure that is one they may never have come across before, my recomendation to you is ask for the master tech to take your car home and try it he will be the best qualified person to do it or one of the senior technicians, dont let the service manager take it as many i know have no technician qualifications, they should be able to understand what is going wrong first hand rather than being told secondhand!!!