another oil thread!!

big-3

Reaction score
hey all i kinda new tho the audi scene and would like some advice on my a3 1.8 turbo on a 2001 (180)

well they other day when i started it it kind of struggles to start and then blew some smoke out the back and i was pretty shocked,

i have done a full service about 2 weeks ago, plugs, fuel/oil filters, oil and air filters,

the turbo is good no noises no lag or lack of power winds ok u can here it boostin on acceleration, was just wondering what the cause or fault could be,

uses a bit of oil but a assumed that it was due to that smoke cloud it gave out, car was cold when warm no probs and also it starts up everyday perfect apart from that one day

using 10- 40 fs oil on an 87000 miler is their any better more recomended oil not sure what was in it but its only realy started since the oil change

wrong oil me thinks? or a blocked turbo seal?

be grateful for any oppinions and help

thanks in advance foaks :thumbsup:

also for got to say had it to the garage who had all the air/turbo pipes of it looking for excise oil and it was all ok inter cooler was ok also no leaks or anything ?????

what colour was the smoke?

I would say it was probably black which is unburnt fuel as the engine struggled to start the fuel would have been pushed out the exhaust. Did you gap the spark plugs correctly? are they the right plug?

As you've disturbed the system recheck that the coil packs are correctly seated and connected properly, spark plugs correctly gapped and tightned at the correct torque setting. Make sure the fuel filter was fitted the right way round (arrow pointing towards the engine)

will re check them tonight when i get 5, as for the sparks the were platinum ngk ones and the gap would be as they came? should they have bin changed?

thanks

you should always check just in case some numb nuts has dropped the box in the shop or something silly like that. I open a box up once to find there was no gap at all!

The normal gap for these engines is between 0.8 and 0.9 mm but not sure about the platinum ones.

maybe i missed the point slightly with this thread... how much oil does it use?