Speaker wattage and positions?

Brad89

Reaction score
Hi all,

As previously mentioned im looking to by an 8L somepoint next week,

Just wandered what the 6cd symphony stereo is like?
Does it have the same speakers, positions and wattage to the one in the 8P? And also does it have the sub incorporated into the boot?
Is the quality the same as the 8p?
And how rare are the bose systems because i havent spotted one so far in my autotrader mission!
Sorry for all the Q's!!
Any help much appreciated as i plan on keeping this one for a number of years!
Thanks

Brad

I have the Symphony with Bose and really it is not a wonderful system...highly overrated (by Audi and Bose)...many other peole don't rate it that highly...and I agree. But don't get me wrong, it's not terrible either.

Personally, I think the best option for you is to get a car with a standard audio system and refit it with an aftermarket head unit and speakers. You'll get a better a quality sound.

Don't know what the 8P has, but the 8L Symphony+Bose has a tweeter and mid range speaker on both front doors, a mid range speaker on both rear doors (for 5 door model) and a sub woofer in the boot.

They are quite rare, and I think that is because they were a £700 cost option...and for £700 you could buy and fit a far better aftermarket sound system.

Yeah, thats the same as the positions of the speakers in my 8p.
Its not bose though...
I wonder if the symphony system in the 8l has the same layout with the sub?
Can anyone clarify?:salute:

The speaker layout of the non Bose is the same as Bose. In fact the speakers are the same except for the sub woofer unit...Bose system has a better sub woofer. Even then the system does not have great control of Bass, its a bit loud and woolly...as opposed to tight and punchy.

I have symphony (non bose) in my S3, and locations are the same complete with sub in the boot behind left hand panel. Head unit is fine but the standard sub isnt the best and the bose setup isnt much better imo after listening to both. I have it replaced the standard sub with the Andy Mac stealth setup, which transforms the system. If i were you i wouldnt bother waiting for a bose equiped car and instead just budget to install on of Andy Macs setups instead mate.

Thanks lads, Just what i wanted to know.
I'll stick with the symphony then, makes life much easier! :rock:

The standard setup has two 4" components in the front made by Isophon, with 1" tweeters made by Nokia. The rears are 6.5" coxials. All rated at 20w each. The sub is a 1 x 50w 6.5" driver. The Bose setup has an uprated sub (100w with 2 x 4" drivers), all the cabin speakers are 4", the fronts use the same rubbish as the sub, with the rears being even worse. The tweeters are the same Nokia crap as the non Bose setup, showing you how much development Bose bothered to put into the design. They don't seem to realise that the tweeter is a rather vital element to the overall sound quality, and I guess that's what earnt them the tag "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose".
The tweeters are incorporated into the door card rather than in the A pillar on the 8P, so much easier to upgrade.

I have symphony (non bose) in my S3, and locations are the same complete with sub in the boot behind left hand panel. Head unit is fine but the standard sub isnt the best and the bose setup isnt much better imo after listening to both. I have it replaced the standard sub with the Andy Mac stealth setup, which transforms the system. If i were you i wouldnt bother waiting for a bose equiped car and instead just budget to install on of Andy Macs setups instead mate.

I agree with Steve. Just replace the sub with Andy's. Tranforms it completely.

You can replace the cabin speakers, but will need to make up adaptor rings, and as they bolt directly onto the door cards, will never sound top notch.

Cheers,