lumpy idle

SDO

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just drove to work this morning got about 10 mins away my 1.8t decides it'll only run on 3 cyclinders and is very lumpy when on idle. could this be the coilpack issue if not what else could it be. also how much does it normally cost to fix

cheers

Got to get it VAG-COMed first to see the state of play as well as which one it is. The Coilpack costs @ £30 from a stealer and takes a couple of mins to fit if Coilpack 1 and 2, if Coilpack 3 and 4 it will take a bit longer as you have to remove the N249 valve and gubings to get at it. Check out wak-tt.com as there is a good guide on there.

Don't be tempted by cheaper clone parts, buy cheap, buy twice. The OE parts are only a few quid more anyway and last much longer

right just checked it and its not kicking up a fault,

defo OE parts will be used

Would using dodgy petrol make it lumpy as it happen 10 mins after i filled up and its smelling like its running quite rich

Hi everyone

Just drove to work this morning got about 10 mins away my 1.8t decides it'll only run on 3 cyclinders and is very lumpy when on idle. could this be the coilpack issue if not what else could it be. also how much does it normally cost to fix

cheers

Hi, just wondering how you figured out that you were only running on 3 cylinders?

My S3 is feeling lumpy since my last refill (at a different garage than normal - but same company!). I'm gonna get the tank as low as possible and then fill up at my normal garage and hope it will go back to normal.

I scanned the car with VAGCOM and no fault codes showed up (apart from the secondary airflow one, which is apparently very common, I just clear it every now and again).

when on idle mines lumpy and when you go slowly through the revs you'll hear the engine sounding like a impreza's, plus also had the bonnet up and the engine is shaking to hell. don't suppose you got your petrol from Sansburys as thats where i got mine from.

don't think mines a coilpack as tested them plus no fault comes up. i've put some redex through mine to clean it though but waiting for petrol to go through.

i've also been told to check the MAF, throttle intake and fuel filter incase there dirty