CV Boot Split, help needed

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Evening all, noticed earlier my o/s front cv boot is split.
In the morning im off to audi to get a new one and then i'm going to fit it myself. Having never done this sort of repair before can anyone give me any advice before i start, like if suspension needs to be removed, torque settings etc etc.

Any advice much appreciated, Dave.

i did mine last year no problem!iirc its very straight forward.remember to mark the three 13mm ball joint bolts so you wont need a 4 wheel alignment.

i did mine last year no problem!iirc its very straight forward.remember to mark the three 13mm ball joint bolts so you wont need a 4 wheel alignment.

If you have a balljoint splitter then undo the nut fixing the balljoint to the hub and remove the lower arm from the hub that way then you wont have to worry about alignment issues.

<tuffty/>

You'll need a 30mm socket for the hub nut which will need to be replaced. If buying a kit you'll get one in the pack. Loosen the hub nut a couple of flats with the car on the ground as it's very tight. Then jack the car up. Don't loosen it off more than 90° with the wheel on the ground or you could damage the wheel bearings. As mentioned, either undo the three small ball joint nuts or the single nut to the hub. Then remove the steering arm connection. You should have enough space to pull the suspension strut outwards whilst turning it and then push the driveshaft out. Replacing the boot is pretty straight forward. There is a special tool to undo and re-use the clips, but it's do-able without.
The CV joint is a push fit. To remove it, just hit it with a soft faced mallet on it's inner edge. Should pop off. A few sharp blows to the end of the splines will have it refitted.
Don't allow the cars weight to rest on the wheel with the driveshaft removed. It will damage the bearings. Not that you would, but just so you know.

Hub nut tightening sequence:
&#8210; Replace twelve-point nut.
&#8210; Remove any paint remnants and/or corrosion at thread and splines of outer joint.
&#8210; Before fitting drive shaft, lubricate the following locations with polycarbamide grease, part no. G 052 142 A2: (or use CV grease)
&#8210; Splines of outer joint
&#8210; Thread of outer joint
&#8210; Contact surface of twelve-point nut
&#8210; Insert outer joint as far as possible into wheel hub splines.
&#8210; Pull outer joint with twelve-point nut into wheel hub until it makes contact with wheel bearing.
&#8210; Lower vehicle, making sure that wheels do not as yet come into contact with ground.
Note:

Wheels must not be in contact with ground when tightening drive shaft as otherwise wheel bearing could be damaged.

&#8210; Have second mechanic press brake.
&#8210; Tighten twelve-point nut to 190 Nm.
&#8210; Set vehicle down on its wheels.
&#8210; Give twelve-point nut further 90° turn

Torque wrench settings:
Steering joint to hub - 45Nm
Balljoint to hub - 45Nm
Balljoint to wishbone nuts - 75Nm

S3 is a !7 mm allen key iirc not a 30 mm nut you may also like to purchase the correct tool for tightening the audi clips up, Sealy do one quite cheaply

Well thanks for the all advice but after an afternoon of bruised knuckles i still couldnt split the cv from the driveshaft, its had lots of copper hammer bashing and still wont budge, so ive got it booked in at the local independant vag place in the morning.

It just needs a good sharpe knock, its easyer with two people one holding the hub outwards while the other taps the canter. Sometime they can be a ****** to split tbh