can you donut an s3???

nath-w

Reaction score
just wondering if you can donut an s3 due to the traction control. i know you can turn it off by pressing the button, but it doesn't seem to really turn it off completely. just wondering if anyone can donut their s3???

In the snow a bit back i went onto an empty car park and was doing this for a while, real good fun, until i came here and read a post about it f**king up ball joints..

sacre bleu.....donut in an S3!

Yea, I had some awesome fun in the snow in my S3! 4 wheel drive makes drifting so so easy! Don't see why you couldn't do a few donuts in normal weather conditions?

why would you want to dognut it and try fuc***g the diff up, get a 200sx if u wanna drift or an e36 m3, i seen a bloke dognuting his subaru once and his diff blew up on him

donut.jpg

Yum Yum....

Glazed man, cant beat dunkin donuts

i didn't say i wanted to donut my s3, i just wondered if you could??? i would never try and donut it, its caused me enough problems already and ive only owned it a month!!!!! like someone said if i wanted to do donuts i would go and buy myself a cheap 200sx or something. it was just a case of wondering what s3's are capable of without traction control????

why on earth would you want to???

ive done it on the grass as well, drifts a good un on grass, lol, would never try it on tarmac though!! you would be asking for trouble, at least if u do try to do dognuts, go and buy a new s3, so when the diff does go bang you can get it fixed under warranty, lol

Arturo has some vids somewhere im sure of him drifting and donuting in the snow!!

Shocking thread tbh fellas, an S3 isnt exactly a drift car and doesnt have half enough power or the type of build to be drifted/dounut'ed around the place.

:wtf:
lol... this car is all about stopping that from happening

i know u are wondering, so no harm done. but not something worth pursuing.

:o.k:

Wow, the guy is only asking if its possible!

I've drifted mine but never doughnut'd. I miss the M3 for tailsliding but its no good for progress!!!

just wondering if you can donut an s3 due to the traction control. i know you can turn it off by pressing the button, but it doesn't seem to really turn it off completely. just wondering if anyone can donut their s3???

answer to your question, this yellow ''s3'' with no spolier... which i believe to be an s3 seems to manage quite well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWibca9kpk

to add to this you can poweslide impretza and evo (as seen on top gear) so why does it do so much damage to the s3 to doughnut?

i understand the car is ment for handling and thats is why i got it but its always fun to show off every now and then with a bit of 4 wheel smoke:racer:

You cant chuck an impreza or evo into a doughnut and expect it to be ok. Ive seen a few gearbox's go boom.

what about power sliding tho it looks so cool on top gear lol

i believe booming gearboxes vs is a bit of luck. I have some friends who has about 450bhp evo 6 and we are really getting to limits and in 2 years nothing happened. I am sure a well treated s3 will survive as long as they can.

Also I have sen 2 Audi TTS quattros in track day on sunday they were power sliding huge without even haldex upgrade with the help of a little scandinavian flick.

You cant chuck an impreza or evo into a doughnut and expect it to be ok. Ive seen a few gearbox's go boom.

Hmmm, done alot of doughnuts in my Evo which maybe contributed to a ****** gearbox, doing them in my A3 1.8TQ as well on damp tarmac,it's fine, it is chipped up to 210bhp don't know if a standard one would do them but an S3 definately will. ESP button turns off traction control totally and mine is a '52 plate.

Sorry I don;t understand why any kind of powerslide would screw a gearbox?
or for that matter a diff.
Is this a haldex problem because it isn't an issue with Torsen?

if it did cause a problem i guess it would be a rotation issue requiring the over use of the clutch system (think thats what they call it).... i remember with old gear diffs that if you limit one wheel the other will spin faster naturally.... surely the current diffs will be slipping more on a donut than normal because of the one sided bias turn in that you would be doing....

another answer is that i could be talkin ***** and clutching at straws..... i know the above scenario applies in certain circumstances, just not 100% whether it would in this... the haldex is made up of several clutches from my undersatnding so cant see it being much different, surely the car would be requesting rear wheel drive which means the haldex would then be charged with distributing power (albeit a smaller percentage than a torsion system)...nevertheless both types of diff would HAVE to distribute the power or risk having to distribute within itself which would cause it to explode id guess

The gearbox would understandebly be under more strain because its carrying what is essentially a dead weight (the car!!)..... yes it has to deal with this under normal conditions but once you have launched your car it carries the weight more efficiently with less strain....donut wouldnt do that, it would be like a continuous launch....

can't honestly beleive im answering a thread on donut'ing an S3...whoever tries this - you need your head testing

not a big fan of donuting but have been known to slide a 4wd car round corners.

haldex is a viscous coupling arrangement controlled electronically.
if you are spinning all four wheel and have the clutch fully engaged and stay in gear at reasonable (sub 8k!) revs I just don't see how that is any different to pulling 150 mph on an autobahn.
where is the stress that breaks boxes or diffs?

not a big fan of donuting but have been known to slide a 4wd car round corners.

haldex is a viscous coupling arrangement controlled electronically.
if you are spinning all four wheel and have the clutch fully engaged and stay in gear at reasonable (sub 8k!) revs I just don't see how that is any different to pulling 150 mph on an autobahn.
where is the stress that breaks boxes or diffs?

This is exactly my point, s3 a sports car with turbo and quattro the factory will be very well informed that users will not just drive it slowly so i guess if something breaks its due to the high milage or not changing diff oils more than usual. I am sure if you service the car in cation it will serve you back.

in addition to what i have said....i have heard rumours of haldex diffs winding up....

all of the above makes sense where stress's are concerned, donuts HAVE to cause more stress than doing 150mph.... once a car is in motion the stress on the gearbox would reduce because firstly it is engaged and so it will be taught.... and secondly because it will have momentum

whilstdonut'ing your not gonna have the same scenario.... in my mind its bound to me more hazardess on the working parts

my thinking comes from what i know about this car already, generic knowledge of diffs and knowledge of forces through engineering - however basic (i havent touched engineering for almost a decade now)

ok so yea doughnuts are not good for the car and tbh i wouldnt do 1 but power sliding is normly at speed so the stress's that you just mensioned wouldnt happen as the car would be in mosting so i guess if you want to do a doughnut make it a wide 1 so its more like a continous power slide

i my self want to learn how to powerslide but have no intrest in doghnuts and its got no application on the road rally or track