Silicone TIP worth it? Scratch

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Ok, I was sceptical about this and had intial 'placebo' effect thoughts...but!!!!

Yesterday I fitted a 4ply TIP which i bought from Warley (wouldnt fit his car as wrong engine code), the item isnt a named brand yet appears and feels like i would expect a similar forge/samco (5ply) item to. I never intended to change my TIP at all as was sceptical what £110 worth of silicone could achieve given Ess's testing etcetc

Anyways, driving the car for some daft reason feels loads more responsive...even let the misus drive it and even she noticed a difference!!.... the turbo makes more of a subtle woosh noise and less screams at peak PSI (which it did intermitently), almost like ive had another map done - still concious of placebo effect so will keep testing it out over the next few days..... initial impressions though are excellant

Initial thoughts, well worth £110 nevermind what i paid - the old TIP didnt appear to have any restriction and appeared far too stiff to collapse under high load on the lower bend - i guess the difference is the slickness of the material inside...one thing i did notice was that one of the branch's was starting to erode due to contact with oil on the inside - no splits found though

hope this helps anyone considering..... be good to find out what others think after fitting theirs

Tim

thanks for this Tim i too have read abit about this and wasn aware of when you fitted jimmys to his. keep me posted on this ill be watching carefuly. thanks

no probs fella, just thought it may be useful as you will probably notice.... i dont like modding without payback 'generally' and take a dim view in wasting money on my ever depreciating lump if it has no advantages

OEM TIPs are fairly rigid when the rubber is cold but when it gets warm it will give a lot more which is when most people have the infamous 'collapsing TIP' I believe... I have an Autobann 88 TIP myself which works fine as far as I know. I didn't really notice much more than a noise increase (induction/turbo spin/DV) but then I was having probs with maps and such like at the time so it was difficult to tell. I also have an OEM TIP from a Leon Cupra R which has more strengthening on the bend where they are known to collapse than my S3 one but I suspect the heat would be a factor on this one too...

I am no expert but would imagine the silicone TIPs are more resilient to heat and therefore less prone to collapse...

<tuffty/>

its weird Tufty....the silicone feels less rigid cold than the OEM item....obviously rubber and silicone will behave a little differently when heated.... the OEm i replaced also had a metal sleeve inside it.... really cant imagine it being much more collapsable when hot after feeling it

not sure the metal sleeve is OEM mate, there was an aftermarket mod available IIRC that consisted of a 'sleeve' that dropped into the OEM TIP to prevent it from collapsing... not sure who made it though...

definately is tufty, i replaced Jimmeh's tip and his had it too, plus mine had all the original fixings to suggest it was OEM..... jimmeh's wasslightly different to mine (earlier engine) and was easier to see

Humm, maybe it is then... :)

I know I didn't have one in mine (AMK, 2001) nor the Cupra R one a friend gave me from his Leon (dunno the year)...

Silicone hoses look cool anyways ;P

yup definately looks better mate..... just trying to stop myself from buying the liquid gauge now!! looks furkin awesome!! swore i wouldnt modify this car after the map:D

I know the feeling... doing the brakes and suspension this weekend... I bought the ****** thing thinking I wouldn't have to touch it... damn those after market parts!!!!

:eyebrows:

what exactly are you going to be doing? im considering getting the black diamonds and DS2500's.... theory being that they are tried and tested, although brembos would be a lurvely bit of bling:scared2:

what exactly are you going to be doing? im considering getting the black diamonds and DS2500's.... theory being that they are tried and tested, although brembos would be a lurvely bit of bling:scared2:

Why get brembos Tim, When you can get these!! :yes:

You know it makes seance... :lmfao:

DS2500's, braided hoses, Motul 600 fluid, Bilstein B8's, Eibach Pro springs and KW tie bars...

Brembos would be nice but for what I use the car for its not really worth it at the mo....

...and to bring it (slightly) back on topic, I am looking to go FMIC shortly so silicone hoses :)

S£;694770 said:
Why get brembos Tim, When you can get these!! :yes:

You know it makes seance... :lmfao:

darn!! cant view as im at work lol cheers buddy

DS2500's, braided hoses, Motul 600 fluid, Bilstein B8's, Eibach Pro springs and KW tie bars...

Brembos would be nice but for what I use the car for its not really worth it at the mo....

...and to bring it (slightly) back on topic, I am looking to go FMIC shortly so silicone hoses :)

ooooh im unsure about suspension, £1000 is minimum it will cost for the decent set up and im really not going to use it to great effect to get my moneys worth.... im going FMIC too, although im only using silicone for the extra pipes as opposed to all of them

tim what fmic are you going for then. hows the car feeling with the tip then, still "feel" abit more special?

it does mate, not any extra power really, just seems to spool up slightly (noticeably) quicker and boosts smoother than before..... I had a slight judder on boost for ages, once i corrected it I still got over critical and felt the tinyiest of boost judder (nobody including JBS could feel it)...this seems to have curred it - still testing obviously but im almost certain its gone now

cheers mate. i think your doing a good job of convincing me to get a tip!!

haha, id still probably look out for a cheapy if i were looking again.... but then im not a notorious modder :salute:

Rav you cant go asking questions like that on here mate:DD

ill take a pic at weekend if you remind me fella

lol sorry mate....are we not alone...:shutup2:
how about a pic of your turbo inlet pipe instead!

oh crap forgot all about those..... will do mate once ive censored them a little, you know remove the bits you dont want the world to see:salute:

another member Tom..... Warley, he didnt have a BAM engine and so wouldnt fit his... poor lads gutted:photo:

Hmm, sounds interesting stuff. Only recently learned what a TIP is and haven't got a clue what my std one looks like! Gonna go hunt to see how much they are...

ian...approx £110 for a forge/samco item....although there are fleabay bargains to be had as long as you check the thickness of them before you buy....ie id wouldnt go below 4 ply

as promised

P1000453.jpg

P1000454.jpg

P1000455.jpg

P1000456.jpg

P1000457.jpg

P1000458.jpg

cheers for that tim. you going to do the rest oif the engine to match now?

na mate, thats me now, most likely going to go FMIC next and maybe liquid boost gauge at some point.... after the bodyworks done..... you planning on doing all yours?

not really. i would be looking to get the TIP soon but maybe just black i think. would love to get a FMIC it's just alot of money and time for research that i dont have really. luquid boost gauge looks a nice bit of kit though. whats happening with that?

thats whats stopped me from doing the FMIC so far, time..... really wana pull the bumper off to see what im faced with...see it in the flesh so to speak

the liquid, I wasnt a great fan as full vagcom can do more and your able to save results etc, once i saw Warley's on sunday....it completely sold me, although logic is kicking in and asking how much id really use it.... gotta consider the appeal over the long term gains as it would effectively be dead money, well not dead as id be able to chart performance and pick up fault codes - :D

did the liquid look good then did it? would be good to see some pics, from the pics before it looked abit small to me.

it is small but very useable..... cant really describe any better than whats on the pics on the website.... a lot better than i originally thought put it that way

strange one mate, im glad i did it although maintain that i would not want to pay Samco/Forge prices.... not really noticed anything since the initial change altho that was expected...you know what its like, a map 2 months later isnt as much of a shock etc etc....

Tim