CTR vs my Chipped S3 - nothing in it

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Just had a proper burn with a Civic Type R and a Clio 172 Sport, could not the believe the CTR it was keeping with me all the way. The Clio was left for dead.

Iv'e raced this bloke in the past in the CTR and have wandered if he had done anything to it. I did manage to ask him when we slowed down and he said NO.

I have raced CTR's in the past before i had mine chipped and could not tell the differnece, but i really thought i would have done him clearly. Afterall the Clios are ****** quick too and he was miles behind us. I would have put the CLio and CTR on equal par but the CTR was as quick as my Chipped S3.

The CTR looked totaly Standard does anyone think it could have had some hidden mods??

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:

The CTR looked totaly Standard does anyone think it could have had some hidden mods??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I doubt it.

A chipped S3 really isn't 'that' quick in a straight line...and a well driven CTR is quick in a straight line.
Although I'd say that a CTR should be able to surprise a chipped S3, there are times when the S3 has the advantage...
You just have to pick your battles carefully!

What speeds are we talking about ?

My S3 is standard I've kept with them though at silly speads they do creep ahead.
They are probably 250KG lighter.

In a chipped S3 yes not really going to be much in it until into 3 figures where you should start to edge away. Takes a lot of horse power to leave a CTR.

In a cross country sprint (chipped) on a damp B road you should be able to put distance on the CTR due to the massive torque advantage but don't expect to leave it for dead.

Standard would be a struggle.

I had a CTR for a month & they are very good though the noise is tiresome on long drives & you really have to drive it into the zone to get the best out of it

Did not manage to get out of 4th gear up to 100mph or so, did the same run a couple of times and each time it was the same nothing in it.

My mate has a modded ctr. There is a clear stretch of road about 3miles long b4 joining the motorway, we often have little battles on there, I pull away from him. Esp over 100. He keeps throwing money at his car to try n beat me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

His is a new civic they are a bit quicker than the old shape. The oldshape 1's dont stand a chance. See my post when some1 posted on ctr.net about me having a lil go with them on the same stretch of road my mate and I use.

have the V6 3.2 and left a very nice black CTR for dead in a straight line last week end (should not even mention the girl in the golf GTI who looked like she stopped after about 50 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I would think that a chipped S3 would be much quicker than a CTR since most chipped S3 should be same as the V6 and some of them even quicker

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
have the V6 3.2 and left a very nice black CTR for dead in a straight line last week end (should not even mention the girl in the golf GTI who looked like she stopped after about 50 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I would think that a chipped S3 would be much quicker than a CTR since most chipped S3 should be same as the V6 and some of them even quicker

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard S3 would be the same as a V6... The thing with the V6 is although it has more power, its also alot heavier!

Rich

From a rolling start to 100mph you'll need a large power advantage in an S3 to really pull out a good lead on a CTR...

In straight line acceleration once you're above 30mph you've lost most of the advantage of 4wd, and the higher tranmission losses and extra weight are starting to count against you.

Once you get into the higher speeds though the higher power should give you back the advantage.

I know it is a lot heavier and even though it is mostly down to power/torque to weight ratio, what time (I mean what rpm) the torque kicks in is very important and from experience it kicks in early in the V6
However it is obvious it depends mainly on the the kind of chip we are talking about. If the chipped S3 has 280bhp and similar torque figure then obviously the standard V6 don't stand a chance but then again a not-modified CTR would not neither

i had a run against a R32 on the back straight of a track. I think its the capacity thing, they are slightly quicker going pass 200kph +

sorry but never went over 200kph with the V6 as i never went on a track so cant comment really

[ QUOTE ]
leespears1 said:
dont start turning thios forum into a discusion about drivin safe at safe speeds.

Like u never push your cash past 30 in a 30!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine running about 257bhp and 272lb ft the day i got these results it was running 95 ron fuel, hopefully now it's run on Optimax it would be slightly higher. Also my car was red hot when i arrived at AMD after a long journey and they gave this as an excuse too.

Sometimes i wonder if it's been chipped, but then it has a good day. I'm sure his was getting a gain on me between gear changes.

When i looked at the Dyno results, between gear changes my S3 dropped quite a bit and i acutally mentioned this to AMD. More than usual anyway.

Can anyone explain this?

Evidence...
My Chipped S3 at Elvington drag strip... all the CTR's are slower /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right, it seems it's mostly down to weight. I've just gone outside and cleaned out some stuff.

4 Jumpers 2 pairs of shoes and 3 safeway bags full or paperwork and receipts, and i've also removed my luggage nets. Might remove the spare wheel and headrests next. lol

The S3's are heavy enough without extra weight that i don't need.

Had a few run ins with them my self, typical racers out to prove them selves. Personally there's not much in it. So why bother. They drive their CTR's but WE DRIVE S3's, there's no arguement.

we have class /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif!!!
in nz, we shake our heads when we see one. Ricers ahaha (good cars though)

i had a blast with a 225 TT, against my chipped S3, basically even 1,2 gear (rolling start), 3rd gear his bonnet was ... near my rear quarter, 4th S3 run away after that, it seems our higher gears got a bit more oomph.

honestly, i still feel i m short of 80-100hp with the current setup to really blast ppl out of my way and about 100nm short too!

I've done some tests against a REVO chipped car (which pulled 258 bhp and 300 lb/ft on AMDs RR), with mine (which has REVO) in standard mode. On rolling starts, I could keep alongside the chipped S3 in 3rd gear, but when switching to 4th gear the chipped S3 just started to leave me.

Fits with your TT example.

Dunc

I've come up against the same S3 three times now, all on the M27 and through Hedge End near Southampton!! (see link http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,10,15,105,200,900,1000&Board=audispot&Number=66539&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.

Latest encounter was earlier this evening, around 9:30. There was absolutely nothing in it. All the way deep into 3 figure speeds, I never lost an inch to him. From the sound of his motor, he definately aint standard. I'm a 100% out the factory Mk1 EP3 CTR with 31k on the clock. He had a private plate so I can't tell if it's the later 225bhp model.

Is this guy on here??

dude you need to put a message on your "windscreen" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif of course, saying "goto audi-sport.net we are talking about you!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif