Newbie - Hi!! Oh and a few tips please?

croig

Reaction score
First of all, Hello all!:salute:

Im new to the Audi world, but since going to last years Le Mans i think its safe to say im now a convert! After owning Jap for a few years i have now had inspriation to go German with the hope of reliablilty! Owned my RX7 for two years, and the last 6 months have been an absolute nightmare!

Anyway, been looking at S3's for the last few months and have learned a thing or two about what to look for.
I have now had one that has caught my eye, its a '52 plate with 49k on the clock, recently had the cam and timing belts done and appears to be very good condition. The only thing that is niggling at me a bit is that it has been remapped.
The guy says it was remapped by audi, and now runs at 270ish bhp. My concern is can the S3 engines handle this comfortably without any other modifications or will i have to start looking at uprating components?

After owning the RX i know that some engines need a lot of work to keep up with a remap.

So any thoughts / advice would be much appriciated!

Thanks
Craig

Not a problem what so ever with the remap! those engines can cope with up to and over 300bhp no problem!!

Hi there,
There is no problems with a low mileage S3 lump or turbo...
How ever, I might be wrong but Audi dont remap their cars . Tuning companys will have done that.

Wow, thats pretty cool!! Obviously just check wear and tear on the discs pads etc then.
I have also just had a quick read of the thread about how much it changes mpg. Quite suprised that it doesnt actually effect it too much, is this right?! I know its all down to how you drive it, but that seems uber!
Im used to getting a 10-15 mpg from the RX... haha!

Revo works closely with Audi so it might be one of their maps

Revo works closely with Audi so it might be one of their maps

Humm that's interesting, i was told mine was done at Audi too, and mine does seem quite punchy and die out quick, Think it might have an old Revo map or something then.

I wish now i had bought one what already had been mapped.

At the time it had to be standard, but now i so wish sometimes it was mapped.

Welcome BTW :salute:

I wish now i had bought one what already had been mapped.

At the time it had to be standard, but now i so wish sometimes it was mapped.

Intersting, I wanted one that hadn't been mapped which I found eventually. Reason being a re-map does make the turbo work that little bit harder so so I wanted one that hadn't been so the turbo hadn't been pusjed to hard for its first 90k (what I bought it on) until little old me remapped it LOL!

But then again there's some S3 with well over 100k which are happily remapped and going strong so it's not really an issue as long as it's been serviced regularly.

Welcome by the way, your gonna have lots of fun in it! :blackrs4:

my audi dealership used to recommend ABT years ago...not sure if they do now, they sold it and maintained the warranty on purchase

Intersting, I wanted one that hadn't been mapped which I found eventually. Reason being a re-map does make the turbo work that little bit harder so so I wanted one that hadn't been so the turbo hadn't been pusjed to hard for its first 90k (what I bought it on) until little old me remapped it LOL!

But then again there's some S3 with well over 100k which are happily remapped and going strong so it's not really an issue as long as it's been serviced regularly.

Thats partly the reason i wanted a standard one in the hope that it hadnt had the s**t ragged out of it, but like you say about the servicing if i knew then what i know now i think i would have looked for a nice mapped one.

not so sure, depends on how you rag it I think..... my old 1.8T took some right stick, not the type where im on boost all the time though, the kind where i give it stick and then drive normally not letting the turbo get mega hot.... that lasted me from 30kish to over 120000miles and was still going strong - or i may have been lucky?

my audi dealership used to recommend ABT years ago...not sure if they do now, they sold it and maintained the warranty on purchase

You're bang on, ABT used to be Audi's recommended tuner. They did body kits, brake upgrades and remaps that didn't effect the warranty. The ABT UK headquaters used to be a 1 minute drive from me, but then they mysteriously disappeared. Still going strong in Germany and a main sponsor for the DTM racing me thinks (well worth going to, if only to laugh at Ralph Schumacher's inept driving!! :haha:):

http://www.abt-sportsline.de/en/

Thankyou all for your helpfull advice and friendly welcome!

Just to officially say hello as the newest Audi owner! Put a deposit down on her and pick her up next sat! What an awesome car, but the test drive completely blew me away! I think its safe to say that this thing will be more than capable of eating my RX7 and spitting it back out!

Will get pics up next weekend :jump:

Good to hear. Only unfortunate thing is that you wont get to experience standard to remapped.

I was looking for a completely standard one, but after reading a few threads and reading the comments here, i think i may have either ended up shelling out for one in the future or gone and found one that had already been done.
I now have a mate thats looking at an S3 so i may yet get to compare!

5 days and counting...:sly:

nice one craig... get some pics up as soon as it lands fella

got to say without any doubt what so ever, owning the S3 was something i wanted to do for ages prior to buying this one, the experiance would have been terrible if i hadnt found this forum..... ive lost count of the amount of times its saved my neck and given me info to subtley upgrade my car

all hail Audi-sport.net!!!