Regearing?

Reaction score
Has anyone investigated having their car re-geared for better acceleration? I can't seem to find much about it on the net.
I'm just wondering what would be involved and how much would it cost to have done. :think:

It'd be worth sacrificing top speed for acceleration because I never drive crazy speeds anyway :icon_thumright:

im not ssure on the details but i know u can fit a 5 speed gearbox for better accelaration

toxik your spending a fortune on that diesel...why not just buy an S3 and map it, you wont have any trouble with traction or upgrading the engine..... you will have comfort and loads of other extras thrown in........

We currently have a 1.6 petrol gearbox on my mums tdi 110, and it's ****** awful.

It pulls like a train in every gear, but tops out totally at 4500rpm and 90mph....

Doesn't sound so bad, until you consider that just 60mph is over 3000rpm on top gear, which is fairly high for cruising in an oil burner....

I wouldn't mess to be honest.

toxik your spending a fortune on that diesel...why not just buy an S3 and map it, you wont have any trouble with traction or upgrading the engine..... you will have comfort and loads of other extras thrown in........

Yeah I've considered that, the thing is I like flexibility in MPG [good mpg for most the time but also good performance when I want it].

Buying an S3 would give me the performance but would cost me more in fuel bills and insurance.

Plus... and don't flame me here, but if I were to buy a petrol it would be something Japanese ;]

We currently have a 1.6 petrol gearbox on my mums tdi 110, and it's ****** awful.

It pulls like a train in every gear, but tops out totally at 4500rpm and 90mph....

Doesn't sound so bad, until you consider that just 60mph is over 3000rpm on top gear, which is fairly high for cruising in an oil burner....

I wouldn't mess to be honest.

Ok, thanks for the heads up mate.
If I were to want to regear, I'd want something that pulled really hard through from gears 1 to 4 and then gave me a nice low rev range for 70mph :]

[Dunno if that's possible?] :D

I wouldn't bother, and I doubt you have a wide enough torque band to provide enough benefit (although I could be wrong).