s3 dont like to rev over 6k rpm

Haglos

jabba mapped
Reaction score
hi all this is my first post on this site but have been a member since owning my s3 which has been for 7 months now. I am recently having this problem when i give it some as soon as i hit 3rd it does not want to go over 6krpm its bugging me now please any suggestions would be much appreciated and its standard 210 bhp cheers:(

correct me if i am wrong, but your prob better off changing up earlier anyway,gettin back on boost, at 6k your car prob has nothing left to give you mate.

the S3 isn't making any real power over 6000rpm anyway, so given the weight of the car, by the time you get up to 3rd gear, it's not going to be keen anyway!

turbo cars are not all about revs at all, it's all about the torque, and it's ability to make high power at lower RPMs

Even though everyone is saying there's no point changing gear later than 6k I'm guessing that you're having a problem. Is your car not going over 6k at all even with your foot planted?

please dont let thisthread go like the other one did where the guy before clearly had a problem and all everyone on here could do was to slate him and say change gear at 5.5k thats not really going to help sort the actual propblem is it, as for the fault mate im unsure could be a mass airflow fault or could even be a crank haft or cam shaft sensor think you need to get it on vag com or like wise software

Will it rev past 6k at a standstill? or is it just under load?
Bearing in mind the rev limiter is set to around 6200 ish anyway!

thanks for all the reply's guys and at a stand still it is ok but as soon as i hit 3rd at 6k revs its like it stops and the boost tails off allot to say 0.4 bar. I was racing a type r from second onwards by 4th gear its like my car just lost all power at 6k and he was pulling away what speed would you guys be hitting at the end of third gear cheers

Ok Haglos you may not like what im about to say....

although i have been out in my car in the interests of science

You really need to change just above 5000rpm... it sounds daft but the power actually starts tail off around there, i tried pushing mine over 6krpm and cant honestly see why you would want to do that and no wonder you lost to a type R.... you have to change where the torque backs off around 5k, failing to do this will give you power drop off

I used to sell cars for a living years ago and can honestly say that i have never come across a car that you need to learn to drive like this one... you have to put your faith in the torque.....

there is no reason to drive this car to 6000revs at all, i said this before on the last post and have just been out to test what benefit hitting 6k has.... it doesnt at all

i raced a remapped S3 with my mates type-r, S3 got merked, type r is very lethal in the dry!

im used to jap cars and i would say audi's in general dont rev very high compared to most.most jap cars tend to have the limit at 7500 and are happy enough reving to 7000 all the time unless int like a type r where it needs to be kept way up the evs to do anything.

Not meant to be a hijack, but does this apply to 1.8Ts as well? Mine seems to tail off around 4k.

Thank you for the reply's and i took the car out and yeah you do have to change just over 5 and the power is there again straight away. It is weird as i had a 2001 remapped golf 1.8t before my s3 which went to 211 bhp and would rev all the way but yeah i will get used to this new driving style thanks for the quick replies!!

Faz, the type R really isnt a problem at all mate, a remapped S3 can take one of those.... trust me:icon_thumright:

nope this only applies to S3's, the old 1.8T was far easier to drive with less restrictions gearbox wise but also less torque....thankfully

Faz, the type R really isnt a problem at all mate, a remapped S3 can take one of those.... trust me:icon_thumright:

nope this only applies to S3's, the old 1.8T was far easier to drive with less restrictions gearbox wise but also less torque....thankfully

hmm well we all have our different experiences but his type R did do the S3, maybe different day different driver different result perhaps?

what a standard type R???? Newer one or older one?

my old A3 with 194bhp was not far off a civic type R.... And my S3 would kill my old A3 no worries !! In fact my A3 actually seemed quicker till changing to 4th gear where the civic began to go....

must be down to driving!!! i reckon my standard s3 isn't far off a type R if it was mapped i reckon i would:whip:one!!!!!!

Both cars have similar acceleration times as standard but lets not get into an argument about whats faster than what. If I remember rightly the guy on here who had the boost problems recently said he got done by a clio or corsa cos he wasn't getting boost properly. The guy in that car is probably on a clio/corsa forum somewhere telling everyone he skinned an S3 :no:

had a play around with a 330ci last night on private grounds which i was quite pleasantly suprised with!

Westle, that was ages ago and yes i joined the forum and set it straight lol clio197.net to be exact haha.... although i now know i had possibly two major boost leaks..... before i repaired the latest leak i managed a head to head with a 182 which is quicker than the 197's.... took it no problem and he was trying to push me before i booted it

Rav, it depends which one it is mate, i seem to think there is only one 330 that would give us problems in terms of pace....not sure how close it would be though... most 330's out there should be fairly easy as long as they arent the M sport version

Westle, that was ages ago and yes i joined the forum and set it straight lol clio197.net to be exact haha.... although i now know i had possibly two major boost leaks..... before i repaired the latest leak i managed a head to head with a 182 which is quicker than the 197's.... took it no problem and he was trying to push me before i booted it

Rav, it depends which one it is mate, i seem to think there is only one 330 that would give us problems in terms of pace....not sure how close it would be though... most 330's out there should be fairly easy as long as they arent the M sport version

They all are a piece of cake hehe

which types are they? this was an 02 plate 330ci? what you rekon? i thought they were meant to be on par but this one wasn't too much of aproblem, higher end it was closer.all private ofcourse

i think its the M sport Rav...not entirely sure, i remember as i was considering one when i bought this

hummm i thought the m-sport was just the spec like s-line or something? maybe not.

im pretty sure the M sport ones come with slightly more more but they are so lame i think!

thats what i thought Rav.... seems not though....i gauged them by checking performance figures on what car or some site like that, confirmed it there when i was looking

that said it was never really an option as didnt want a nasty 4 door Bimmer, would only ever have an M3, although the interior still puts me off the damn things - keep looking how cheap they are to buy now and KNOW i will regret selling this

easy to say when u have a mtm s3 though

nah, i meant to drive and so on, their interior is rubbish and they feel really unstable i think, dont really like them at all! power delivery is awful as well, but i have only driven the auto dont know what the manual is like??

As for the guy with the problem... i would still vag com the car to be sure.
I like many have set about a typre r only to loose track of when to change gear... once you loose the momentum in an s3 you will loose ground to a type r.
I know of 3 people localy that have Civic type Rs and 2 are the newer shape and 1 the older (ek9) they realy have to work them hard to stay anywhere near my car when i still had the stock turbo... now its just a joke and they still slag off howmuch power im said to loose from my awd set up.

no problem... still leave them. That said i will never do a standing start race against one as they have a kind of built in launch control and we have a duel mass flywheel to nurse off the line

faz totally agree mate, the interior of beemers all look the same, and the design is horribly boring....loads more than the Audi IMO

we dont buy S3's for outright performance, you want the package

I like many have set about a typre r only to loose track of when to change gear... once you loose the momentum in an s3 you will loose ground to a type r.
I know of 3 people localy that have Civic type Rs and 2 are the newer shape and 1 the older (ek9) they realy have to work them hard to stay anywhere near my car when i still had the stock turbo... now its just a joke and they still slag off howmuch power im said to loose from my awd set up.

no problem... still leave them. That said i will never do a standing start race against one as they have a kind of built in launch control and we have a duel mass flywheel to nurse off the line

i totally agree, i did it quite a bit in the first few months cos your sixth sense is telling you to rev the bo**ox off your car to get power out of it

faz totally agree mate, the interior of beemers all look the same, and the design is horribly boring....loads more than the Audi IMO

we dont buy S3's for outright performance, you want the package

Damn ryt S3 offers a very very good package thats why after this im going to buy a big turbo 8P lol.

I dont mind the e46 just the exhaust and engine note is so irritating im sure they could have made it sound alot nicer?

yeah in the dry the type r is awesome off the line!! i love launching my mates one absolutely love it!

Faz.... theres a white 8p with big turbo conversion going on pistonheads..... alot of work bin done to it:)

Faz.... theres a white 8p with big turbo conversion going on pistonheads..... alot of work bin done to it:)

isnt that JonnyC car?its sold???

it sold within a couple of days of him advertising it, but atm 26k is a tad too much for me!

Im only 21 :( still got uni to think about lol

yeah i think it is...... i thought i recognised it just couldnt place...... think he went to the Manc meet last April (if its the same one)

lovely car, although tis a tad expensive tho

yeah i think it is...... i thought i recognised it just couldnt place...... think he went to the Manc meet last April (if its the same one)

lovely car, although tis a tad expensive tho

Lovely motor, followed his build thread!!

He got good money for it though considering its near enough touching RS4 territory you seen the grey MTM one on PH?28k....dream motor!

na not seeeen that one, i tend not to look too often as its bad for the bank balance and only encourages spending lol