EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

I feel really bad...

The guy who bought my S3 sent me a nasty text message this morning saying the car was fcuked and he had broken down on the M25.
    The car was SO reliable to me and only ever had one spot of bother from the front CV joint.
    I fitted a set of standard wheels to the car for the sale on the test drive the old rear tyres started to whine so i popped to the garage and pumped them all up to 32psi. noise went and he was happy, now he is trying to tell me the rear diff is fcuked
    I've offered to help him even though i'm not abliged to as i did sell the car with no warranty and it was a signed and sealed deal. Plus he has had the car for 1+ week.

WHAT DO I DO?
    Last edited by sitrials; 17th November 2008 at 20:03.

S3 - Gone but not forgotten!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Absolutely nothing. If he broke down on his way home from picking up the car, you may feel obliged to help him out, but 2 weeks is taking the piss. If he wanted a warranty he should have bought from a garage. He saved some money by buying privately so has to accept the consequences.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Bumble Bee

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Absolutely nothing. If he broke down on his way home from picking up the car, you may feel obliged to help him out, but 2 weeks is taking the piss. If he wanted a warranty he should have bought from a garage. He saved some money by buying privately so has to accept the consequences.
    Totally agree
    Audi S3 Quattro

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    he could have bought a warranty if he was that bothered..unfortunately you cant have your pie and eat it....cheap car bought privately equals risks....id send him an even worse txt back, he can always see your posts on here which will give him an idea...from my knowledge you have never mentioned the rear diff...
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Life is tough, it's his problem. If you sold the car with best intentions you have nothing to feel bad about. Don't get caught up in any further dealings.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    Agree with the above !

For all you know hes been kicking it around for the last 2 weeks and now its broke he's experiencing the expense of owning an S3 lol

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    if he's had it two weeks Si then tell him to feck off! Who knows, he could have spent the past 2 weeks thrashing the life out of it. It's not your problem. As far as you were concerned you sold him a perfectly good car.

The whole idea of test drives are to check it all feels good, you can't predict an impending failure!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sitrials View Post
    The guy who bought my S3 sent me a nasty text message this morning saying the car was fcuked and he had broken down on the M25.
    The car was SO reliable to me and only ever had one spot of bother from the front CV joint.
    I fitted a set of standard wheels to the car for the sale on the test drive the old rear tyres started to whine so i popped to the garage and pumped them all up to 32psi. noise went and he was happy, now he is trying to tell me the rear diff is fcuked
    I've offered to help him even though i'm not abliged to as i did sell the car with no warranty and it was a signed and sealed deal. Plus he has had the car for 2+ weeks.

WHAT DO I DO?
    Totally agree with all the other posts on here......

The only addition i'd make is to cut all contact with this person. You've sold the car in good faith, it was up to him to get it either RAC inspected or have someone "look" over the car BEFORE he purchased it. Sold as seen and as many have said 2 weeks of what kind of driving? We have all given our cars a little boost during the first few weeks of ownership, it's the law, besides addictive. How do you know he's not driven it like a loon???

Cut contact completely. Nothing to do with you now. Might sound harsh but thats life! Probably his fault anyway.

G

P.s Don't feel bad.

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Yeh I had same issue. Guy wanted his money back after it failed its mot on its handbrake. Told him to **** off.

Anyway you sold that S3 for not a great deal so dont know what hes moaning at.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    if he's had it two weeks Si then tell him to feck off! Who knows, he could have spent the past 2 weeks thrashing the life out of it. It's not your problem. As far as you were concerned you sold him a perfectly good car.

The whole idea of test drives are to check it all feels good, you can't predict an impending failure!
    But he bigger than me! yes i know nick that ain't hard! i'll just ignore all communication from now on.
    cheers peeps!

5th Gear

Status
    definately don't give him feck all. Had a guy from a garage once take my car in part ex. Phoned me up a month later to tell me the wheel fell off Once I had stopped laughing and realised he was serious and after money....told him to get lost and if he called again I would contct the police. Anyway, he had the lst laugh cause the car I bought off him was confiscated by the police when local dvla office couldn't find a VIN No anywhere when I was trying to get it MOT'd. Got it back eventually with a new VIN though!!
    I take it you wrote a reciept for the sale stating 'bought as seen' If so, tell him you will contact the police if he continues to harrass you.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    It's ok to feel bad dude, I would feel the same if it happened to someone who I sold a car to, simply because I usually keep my cars in good condition! But as mentioned before, sold as seen etc... kindly tell him there was nothing wrong with the car when he drove off on the day of purchase, how are you responsible for anything that happens after?!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's ok to feel bad dude, I would feel the same if it happened to someone who I sold a car to, simply because I usually keep my cars in good condition! But as mentioned before, sold as seen etc... kindly tell him there was nothing wrong with the car when he drove off on the day of purchase, how are you responsible for anything that happens after?!
    Totally agreed, i would feel bad too. And i would always offer to help but not if he was rude or demanded money

3rd S3 now... Cant stay away!

Status
    Fcuk him mate - in the 2 weeks he has owned it he could of done anything had it anywhere, smashed it and even had it repaired in this time!
    when i bought mine i drove it for 8 hours heading home, the engine management light came on 15mins from my house - tried phoning the guy i bought the car off of earlier - and he hung up on me - luckily i have had absolutely no probs with the car and the light went out the following day!

Neutral

Status
    not your problem,my a3 had a knackered waterpump when i bought,i didn't know,and the guy never told me,cost me 300 2 days after buying it,what can you do,i looked over the car,and bought it with my judgement,my problem,would be tempted to give him a black eye if i ever bump into him,but at the end of the day it was my car when i noticed the problem,not his,so tell him to get lost,maybe change your number if you haven't had it for years!!!

Current cars...
    MK2 Golf 16v gti
    A3 8p 2.0fsi...
    Looking for 2002/3 Red S3 below 80k and £6k
    www.dubsuffolk.com

4th Gear

Status
    sorry made a bubu i meant 1 week and 1 day.

thats me

Status
    let him know about this site we may be able to help him . Just a bad break for him but I know how it would make you feel but unlucky ...... for him
    red to red black to black blue to bits

Neutral

Status
    id send him a txt back saying "do i look like i give a ****?, you test drove the car, obviously liked it and you bought it. i bought a dvd payer in 1989 and now its ****ed. can i have my money back. err NO!!" hehe

4th Gear

Status
    I have pointed him to the site as everyone is so helpful although, i wouldn't like to read this if i was him!
    I just really do feel bad for him as I would never sell a duff car!

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    one thing we have all missed here...this guy is that 'big' he sent a txt message to show his dismay gaylord

5th Gear

Status
    He's not a mate of the famous 'Jey' is he?

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    No need to be rude. Just stick to your guns and politely say I cannot help you if he txt/calls again.

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    what was actually broken?
    ^^ In my opinion

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    btw, check this:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...private_seller

You bought the vehicle from a private seller

You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer.
    The vehicle doesn't have to be of satisfactory quality. However, if the seller offers a description of the vehicle, it must match the description given. It must also be roadworthy and the seller must have 'good title' to the vehicle. This means that they must be the legal owner in order to sell it to you.
    If the vehicle doesn't match the description given, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller, which has caused injury to someone. However, it may be especially difficult to get compensation from a private seller.
    You will only be able to claim against a private seller for one of the following reasons:
    • the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you
    • the seller broke a specific contract term
    • the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller
    • the seller did not have good title to the vehicle
    • the vehicle is unroadworthy.
    Nothing of the above seem to be the case.
    ^^ In my opinion

Status
    him sending you a text message rather than a call sounds very suspicious,if I had the same misfortune and thought I was sold a lemon I'd rather speak face to face or by phone at the very least.....text message sounds like hes a chancer and guilty as firk

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    him sending you a text message rather than a call sounds very suspicious,if I had the same misfortune and thought I was sold a lemon I'd rather speak face to face or by phone at the very least.....text message sounds like hes a chancer and guilty as firk
    It takes a dodger to know a dodger

Text the guy back and give him **** for breaking your pride and joy - he's broken your car in just over a week, not good!
    [/sarcasm]

4th Gear

Status
    oh chris how you make me chuckle!

A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

Status
    any issues send him my way lol

Daz - Audi A3 - 18" rs4 alloys - Weitec ultra gt 30mm kit - pipercross panel filter - tints all round - facelight rear lights - clear side repeaters - german style plates - flip out dvd touchscreen hu

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    why what do you do?

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I'd guess from his screen name, that he makes a living beating people up outside night clubs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    sorry, i was being facetious

2nd Gear

Status
    I know this is an old post, but what really worries me, is that ive just bought this car.................................... and the whining is still there!

His problem is however I have a signed receipt to say he will pay half of the cost if the rear diff is knackered!

Lets hope Midland VW find otherwise, personally i think its a wheel bearing!

Oh also, Si, how much did you sell it for in the end? and can you send me a pm on exactly what it is youve had done to it?!
    Last edited by markyp2002; 30th December 2008 at 19:56.
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh ive just read back through some sitrials posts too, noticed you did have a problem in the past with the whining and you thinking its the rear diff and found it to be the tyres! Now hoping its the same problem <<
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav