S3 What would you do?..

335dJim

Reaction score
Hi,

I've driven 2 x S3's this week and put a deposit on one of them -

The 1st had a Revo Map and was very 'strong' - I didn't buy this one for a number of other reasons.

The 2nd is 'standard' I'm told (by seller who isn't the prev owner) and felt really slow, it struggled to pull in 5th up a hill and although you could hear the turbo in lower gears it just didn't seem to pull anything like an S3 should, even a standard one - it felt more like a non turbo variant.. The rest of the car is perfect (Grey, Silver leather, mirrors etc) but I'm a bit worried by the lack of performance. It does run smoothly and idle perfectly, no warning lights on dash, its just a bit gutless. I've put a small deposit on it and got it for a very good price, I'm just worried about what it could be and how I can check before paying the rest of the cash.. or do I ditch it and run?.. The cars done 78k.

Any suggestions/ideas?:shrug: - the car is near Exeter and I'm in the Midlands, anyone got VAG Com down that way that could plug in? - Worried Audi wouldn't have a clue unless it throws a code.

Thanks,

James

Hi mate what were the reasons for not buying the other ones? out of interest, i just bought mine the other day have been trawling through pistonheads autotrader for months now and read up alot on them,

,But mine was the first i drove which is remapped which was impressive,and i bought it as i liked it, i would of thought a standard one would still be fairly quick, but maybe as your comparing the two, i believe the remap does make a huge difference,If your not 100% dont buy it mate as you could be regretting it,

If your that doubtful then walk away,you'll only kick yourself if you buy a dog!!

Jim, good choice mate, i have the exact same car, had the same power issues when i purchased - found to be a T piece on top of the engine block (under the plasytic cover) - could also be a split pipe elsewhere.... otherwise try unplugging the MAF next to the airbox, this may make it run better....and check for the obvious blue smoke to signify a knackered turbo. These are the main things i can think of other than the dump valve which your not really gonna be able to check other than through vag com

buy an OBDII lead off ebay, download the free version of vagcom and check yourself when you go down.... good luck mate

have to have a meet some time, im only in sheffield

Tim

Yeah that's what I'm thinking/hoping but don't know how to check.. could it also be the dump valve thingy leaking?

Everything else is perfect on the car, keep swinging from yes to no to yes to no.. driving me mad!..

Could be the MAF is knackered.....

Thanks Tim,

No smoke from Turbo - checked that when I viewed it.

Just downloaded version 409.

Is this the cable I need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-OBD2-OBD-...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

What am I looking for?:readit::think:

Are you familiar with the term 'Monkey with a machine gun'!!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, good choice mate, i have the exact same car, had the same power issues when i purchased - found to be a T piece on top of the engine block (under the plasytic cover) - could also be a split pipe elsewhere.... otherwise try unplugging the MAF next to the airbox, this may make it run better....and check for the obvious blue smoke to signify a knackered turbo. These are the main things i can think of other than the dump valve which your not really gonna be able to check other than through vag com

buy an OBDII lead off ebay, download the free version of vagcom and check yourself when you go down.... good luck mate

have to have a meet some time, im only in sheffield

Tim

Like animal said, if you unplug the MAF and the car runs better than before then you know the MAF is *****.....

in my opinion if you have any doubts about the car walk away.be patient and try a few more it will be worth it in the long run

I wouldn't be buying a car that I wasn't 100% happy with tbh.

There are plenty for sale at the minute so i'd wait for the next one to come along.

You get what you pay for stop looking at cheap S3's.

thing is if the car doesnt raise any questions you have to ask why? yes it could be a gem, but also it could be a pig with a frock on..... moral of the story is that you never know.... everyone told me not to buy this one, would i get it knowing what i know now? yes i would

also be aware that the Revo remaps are by nature an agressive map.... huge ammount of power lowdown... perhaps that'sa what makes you think there is something wrong with standard...

Mark,

I think you could be onto something here - I have a test drive lined up in another stocker later this week to see if its the same - can't think of any other way to check it out.

Thanks

Jim

also be aware that the Revo remaps are by nature an agressive map.... huge ammount of power lowdown... perhaps that'sa what makes you think there is something wrong with standard...

I have a standard S3 and my dad had a Revo'd one, there was certainly a noticeable difference in driving them to the point where you could say mine felt quite sluggish compared to it.

As soon as I stop having major failures with my car i'll be getting it Revo'd :)

its not just the Revo map, most maps will have that 'throw you in the seat' feel.... its just that they all do it differently...

our maps are as agressive as you want them, that's the whole point in variable switching! if you want it to feel agressive turn the boost up! if you want it to feel smooth don't put as much boost in and turn the timing up! you set it the way you want it to feel!

Carl, are you saying that the Revo could be made to mirror the CC map if thats what the customer wanted? obviously via the variable map process?

Or Vica/Versa? - the CC to spike like the Revo?

Carl, are you saying that the Revo could be made to mirror the CC map if thats what the customer wanted? obviously via the variable map process?

what i'm saying is that you can have the car feel the way you want it to feel :)

what you looking at spending? you can come test my bt s3 and see how different that is then maybe it will put the different powers into more perspective.
i know it did for me when i was looking.
i tested a standard,remapped and bt kit all feeling faster than the next hence y i ended up with the bt:p
as others have said, if u have concerns walk away, theres no point thinking "screw it ill take the chance" coz cars always seem to be less reliable when you take that route:p like their teachin you a lesson.

Brab3r

Right - small update - water pump has not been changed when Cambelt was done earlier on this year as stealer said checked it and it didn't need doing when they examined it.. Assume this is cambelt like labour to change?

Right, deliberation over and I've chosen one today.. collect at WE.. :arco:

Thanks to everyone for the advice/help.

Cheers

Jim

Congrats on the new puchase.....hope you enjoy !!:racer:

Thanks,

Went for the 2003 one I tried today - first 30 seconds of the test drive I knew it was 'the one'. Much tighter/fresher feel to it - gear box was taught and smooth, same with the clutch, the power was solid and clean - SOO much better than the other 2001 car, knew something wasn't right with that one. Thanks for making me see sense - the search has paid off.

Cost me £1,500 more than the 2001 but what a different car! - Also now got BOSE, Heated seats and a fresh water pump - mileage the same.

Just need to decide on CC or Revo now - Mr Animal is looking to set me up with 2 x S3's to try with each map, thanks buddy :beerchug:

Now where did the linky go to those Avus S4's?!...

Top forum community guys.

Jim

nice one Jim, glad it was an easy decision in the end...... Jas.... your near the Midlands arent ya?

Where abouts are ya in Midlands Jim

Just of J9 M42..

Easy choice mate - if you drove both you'd know what I mean!

Cheers

Jim

I am not far away Jim
could give you a passenger ride in the old snail :eyebrows:

reckon we ought to set a date once you have the car and know everything ok Jim

Welcome to the world of S3 Ownership, another Midlander woohoo!!!

Get some pics up when you get a chance and let us know what you decide remap wise.....

Good luck and congrats....

Oh and Jase, I need a spin in your car too, need to make my mind up on this as well....

does this mean we have the makings of another audi-sport.net lil mini meet

I wouldn't mind being a passenger in a CC'd S3, only been in a Revo one so far and mines still in need of a map :)

I'd would be up for a mini-meet as long as its not to far :beerchug: