Service pricing - thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi All,

My car is due a service shortly and it's coming up to the 60k mark. I've received a quote from Awesome GTI for the following:

20k service - £180 + vat
Cambelt and water pump - £295 + vat
Temp Sensor (vagcom reckons it needs one) - £22 + vat
Gearbox oil change (i'd like this doing) - Circa £70 + vat
No Haldex fluid change as this was done at 40k - £0.

...bringing it to a total of circa £665 including Vat. What are peoples thoughts on this price? I've used Awesome a few times before and the service has been good sometimes and mixed other times. Are there any other independents in the manchester area that are worth looking at or do you feel this is a good deal?

Feedback appreciated :)

thats a very good price....

my independant charged 400 just for the cam belt.

Cheaper than what I paid for a cambelt/water pump replacement.
Backdraft charged me £350+Vat for mine.

And I think their servicing on an S3 is 199+vat.

So Awesome are cheaper on both accounts. However, I have no idea what their quality of service is like.

I know that Backdraft provide a wash and vac in their service too.

Cheers for the feedback people, it looks like they're pretty competitive then. Knowing this might just justify me choosing to have cruise control fitted at the same time, i'm not sure how, but it does :)

I suggest a new Waterpump whilst you are having the Cambelt done, you will probably be charged for the G12 Coolant aswell for this, but it's recommended as the pump is like £25, and runs off the cambelt.

I'm 3000 of my 60k service, cam belt was done last year, anyone know who's good for servicing around suffolk area? Was maybe thinking of taking it to jabba or AMD.

Think I'm going to need a 4 wheel alignment, wishbone bushes & rear ARB fixings so i don't expect it to be cheap!

definitely some good prices.

have you tried shopping (shooping) around if you think you might not be satisfied with the service?

definitely some good prices.

have you tried shopping (shooping) around if you think you might not be satisfied with the service?

I wouldn't say I was dissatisfied with the service last time around, it just wasn't the personal service I got from them a few years ago when I first went. But I suppose that's what happens when succesful businesses get bigger. The service was still miles better than any audi dealer i've used in the past though! I'm happy to shop around, I could just use some decent recommendations in the manchester area, I'd rather not use an unknown - better the devil you know and all that.

S£ - I'd recommend Jabba, I had my car mapped there and the service was great, i'd take my car there for a service but it's a bit out of my way.

As for the video, this forum gets more mental everytime I visit.....keep it up ;)

try getting a qoute from stafford audi, i was advised to go there from guys on here and they were great, very cheap.
im sure there offering a cambelt change for £275.
i just had a service there for £79.

worth a call !

hi all just had quote for service on a3 cov audi want 265 pounds stafford want 205 pounds still seems a hell of a lot of money for oil change and stamp.

hi all just had quote for service on a3 cov audi want 265 pounds stafford want 205 pounds still seems a hell of a lot of money for oil change and stamp.

I wouldn't say I was dissatisfied with the service last time around, it just wasn't the personal service I got from them a few years ago when I first went. ;)

Echo that. I was disappointed - spent around 2500 grand with them over a 2 year period. Started using them whilst still at old small premises. Then thought engine was a bit loud on tickover - worried about it and rang them to ask if someone would have a quick listen to see if i was going mad. Wanted to charge me £25 plus vat for a 2 minute listen, despite the fact i'd spent over £1200 in one go the month before. Also fitted the wrong springs to my car and advised me wrongly about which Bilsteins dampers to buy.

Haven't been back since - bigger not always better.

If you're willing to shoot down the M56 I can highly recommend Central VW/Audi in Ellesmere Port (0151 355 1246). Give them a call and speak to Simon. He really knows his stuff, is passionate about VAG and doesn't charge the Earth. I've been going to him for years, since I had my S3. Top bloke!

I think you were meaning make sure they put in a water pump with the metal impeller so there's no future issues.

Awesome's prices seem pretty good to me. I've never had a problem with the customer service there, and the guys in the workshop know what they're doing (most important thing to me).

Call and explain your concerns to Sarah, I'm sure she'll be very accomodating.

If you're willing to shoot down the M56 I can highly recommend Central VW/Audi in Ellesmere Port (0151 355 1246). Give them a call and speak to Simon. He really knows his stuff, is passionate about VAG and doesn't charge the Earth. I've been going to him for years, since I had my S3. Top bloke!

Thanks Tommo, i've yet to decide so Imight give 'em a call.

I think you were meaning make sure they put in a water pump with the metal impeller so there's no future issues.

Is this still the recommended option? I read in another post (one of the many) that using a pump with a metal impeller could cause dramatic problems if the pump dislodges and catches on the other metal internals and causes the belt to strip teeth and subsequently bend valves etc. rather than just breaking the impeller? I'm sure someone mentioned that the best option is just a newer pump that uses a stronger plastic impeller.

It could all just be hearsay though as i've never actually spoken to anyone who has experienced a pump failure!

Hello
The reasom we put the metal impella`d water pump in , is the plastic ones break up
The metal ones will not do that as they are stronger
I have been in the tuning game for 5.5 years now , the only problem I have seen is one and it was leaking that is all
This was due to the water pump itself , not the impella`s
I have had them on my car for a while and my son`s MK4 Golf 1.8T so that means I trust them on mine and my family`s cars too
If ever anyone has any questions , please feel free to ask , I dont get to come on the forums as much as what I used to , that is due to me answering the phones too now ;) but it is always good to have a chat with fellow enthusiasts
0161 7760777 press option 1 for sales
I hope that helps a bit?
Sarah

Even Audi have seen the light and their OEM water pumps now have the metal impellor too so it's definately the way forward. The difference is the plastic impellor will disintegrate (it's just a matter of time), whereas the metal impellor becoming dislodged is highly unlikely.

We have just changed our servicing price structure.

We will only do an oil service with a full inspection, diagnostic, air filter and pollen filter. The reason for the inspection is that we would not like a car to come through our workshop without noting a serious safety problem.

Prices start at £125 plus VAT for A2 size cars inc Ibiza, Arosa etc
£150 plus VAT for A3 A4 Golf Leon etc
£175 plus VAT for larger cars in Q7 etc
£195 plus VAT for heavily (engine ) modified cars including turbo system pressure test and high performance oil.

1.8T Cam belt is £295 plus VAT including tensioner, roller and auxillary belt.
We do recomend changing the water pump and we offer either the metal aftermarket impellor or the recently uprated genuine plastic impellar pumps.

Best Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport

Hello
The reasom we put the metal impella`d water pump in , is the plastic ones break up
The metal ones will not do that as they are stronger
I have been in the tuning game for 5.5 years now , the only problem I have seen is one and it was leaking that is all
This was due to the water pump itself , not the impella`s
I have had them on my car for a while and my son`s MK4 Golf 1.8T so that means I trust them on mine and my family`s cars too
If ever anyone has any questions , please feel free to ask , I dont get to come on the forums as much as what I used to , that is due to me answering the phones too now ;) but it is always good to have a chat with fellow enthusiasts
0161 7760777 press option 1 for sales
I hope that helps a bit?
Sarah

Thanks Sarah :)

We have just changed our servicing price structure.

We will only do an oil service with a full inspection, diagnostic, air filter and pollen filter. The reason for the inspection is that we would not like a car to come through our workshop without noting a serious safety problem.

Prices start at £125 plus VAT for A2 size cars inc Ibiza, Arosa etc
£150 plus VAT for A3 A4 Golf Leon etc
£175 plus VAT for larger cars in Q7 etc
£195 plus VAT for heavily (engine ) modified cars including turbo system pressure test and high performance oil.

1.8T Cam belt is £295 plus VAT including tensioner, roller and auxillary belt.
We do recomend changing the water pump and we offer either the metal aftermarket impellor or the recently uprated genuine plastic impellar pumps.

Best Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport

Thanks Mark, where are you based?

Im getting mine done at warrington audi on monday

£750 for full variable service, haldex oil change, cam belt and water pump.

Some stealers wanted over £1000

Im getting mine done at warrington audi on monday

£750 for full variable service, haldex oil change, cam belt and water pump.

Some stealers wanted over £1000

I wonder what they will 'recommend' you get done while it's in lol

ARB's, Bushes, Wishbones...the usual suspects !

LOL your correct!!!

They just rang me up. Everythings fine apart from

Front ARB!!! lol
windscreen wipers
Front brake discs 28m thick, should be 30mm thick apparently

They want another £750 to do the improvements.

Obviously I'm not going to get these done by audi because I'm not a millionaire but what is the situation with the anti roll bar. Does it really need doing or is it just ********.

Also how long would you actually leave it before you changed the brake discs. They have been on from new I reckon.

Hi Guys

Thought I'd talk about the loan car they gave me while it was in for the service and cam belt.

They gave me a 2.0T Quattro S Line which is interesting. I have noted the following when comparing to the S3.

The steering is very light and the ESP doesnt seem to work properly. I gave it a bit of welly at a motorway roundabout and instead of the car braking at certain wheels to keep the car in shape it acted as if the ESP was off. Ended up on opposite lock as the car was going sideways. Now this happens when I have a play with the S3 with ESP off but I wasn't expecting the same with ESP on in the 2.0T.

The engine on the 2.0T has got a very throaty roar to it and seems more rev happy (this might just be an illusion) than the S3 and seems to want to be thrashed more. The S3 seems to have more shove and torque pinning you in the back of your seat.

Another thing I have definitly noticed is that off the line the 2.0T is pathetic compared to the S3. I dont know whats going on but with ESP off it wheelspins in a way that reminds me of a FWD car or with ESP on it really cuts the power off.

Once on the move though I dont think there is much in it really. I cant wait to get the S3 back tommorow so I can compare straight away. I think the S3 is just marginally faster.

Regarding the interior I thought there were loads of issues. The cup holder drawer is now a coin tray which is crap TBH. The reading lights are no more and I find the lack of a useful storage area under the air con unit annoying. The stupid handles down there also obstruct your legs. The stereo was straight out of a golf with the blue ambient lighting turned to audi red. Good points include the steering wheel and the air con unit whcih is better. In summary I think that the actual quality of materials used on the 8L is superior to 8P but obvoisuly the 8P looks more modern. You can see though where audi have cut costs.

I don't know if anyone would find this interesting but I thought I'd post my thoughts anyway.