Need a valuation guys- MEGA mileage super fast A3 1.8T

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi guys, I tried selling up a few months back, selling the A3 to my mum to buy an E36 M3.

long story short, it didn't work. THe E36 wasn't the car for me, and the audi didn't suit my mum either, so I've got it back.

Now, part of me still fancies a change, but I just do not know what the A3 is worth. It's had a LOT of money spent on it, but it's also reached what I would call StarShip mileage....

If you could read the spec through, and let me know what you reckon it's worth, honestly, I'd be very grateful.

Right, quick history:

I bought the car on 126k, full audi SH, it's since been serviced every 5k without fail.
gearbow blew up at 130k, replaced by audi with brand new one.

revo'd at 135k to 184bhp 236lbft. added milltek cat back and CAI

bored of that at 145k, ko3S went on, driven until 155k at under 3000rpm due to waiting for FMIC to arrive so I could get it mapped. in this time, I fitted the brakes/all suspension mods.
mapped stage 2 Custom code at 155k, turbo thrust bearings died, so had to drive like an old man for another 5k up to 160k
new 26k mile turbo fitted at 160k
car is awesome until now at 174k.

So, the spec:

Audi A3 1.8T sport, volcano pearlescent metallic.

Engine:

174k AGU 20v
ko3S silenced turbo from 04 ibiza cupra
greddy FMIC pipework with godspeed 600x150x76mm core
Siliconhoses.com couplers/reducers throughout
Forge silicon TIP
Forge silicon cold side DV relocation kit
Forge 007P DV, yellow spring
Denso IK22 cold plugs
Custom fitted oil catch tank.
Milltek ultra 2.5'' downpipe and 200cel sports cat
Milltek 2.5'' cat back system with custom subtle tail pipes
CAI removed in favour of custom highly smoothed airbox with cold air feed and green cotton filter

Custom code phase 2 mapping to 240bhp/295lbft

Chassis:

Weitec ultra GT lowered shocks, with weitec 50mm lowered springs, new top mounts and top mount bearings fitted.
Eibach 22/25mm ARB kit
312mm black diamond S3 discs, ferrodo ds2500 pads, calipers and carriers painted black.
rear brembo max discs, textar pads.
All new bushes throughout, including new wishbones, ball joints, CV joints, and boots on all.

Other:

It's running on MINT audi S4 8x18 reps, they are very high quality Itallian reps, with 5mm+ Eagle F1's rear, and bridgestone potenza's front on 4mm.

It's got facelift rear lights, and black angel eye front projetors, although I've not wired up the angel rings, as I dont like them.

inside it's standard black/red cloth, with a custom made pillar pod for the boost gauge, and a parrot CK3200 bluetooth car kit installed very neatly. It's got the standard concert head unit and 6cd changer and sub in the boot.

It's passed every MOT since I've had it with not even an advisory note, and generally been an AMAZING car.

I just feel that I fancy a change whilst I'm still young. before I have to grow up and buy a house!"

The car cost me £3500 to buy in June 2006, and has cost me around £4600 to get to this standard.

I dont want to start any arguements here, but it's WAY quicker than a standard S3, and will easily show up most remapped S3's as well. With all the suspension mods, it really is a treat to drive, and many people have been VERY shocked with how well it handles.

So guys, large spec and even larger mileage taken into consideration....

... what's it worth?

cars289879dai7.jpg

atcombeil8.jpg

gallery_168_26_22597.jpg

gallery_168_26_77325.jpg

surely at least one of the 37 chaps that have read this thread so far have an idea of what it might be worth?

i dont.£4000 ish?looks good to me.i would have it anyway.

hard to say mate, especially in this climate, but good luck to ya...

well if I'm honest after owning an S3 its gonna be low value given mileage fella, to put a price on it would be hard even with mods, if not just cause of the climate right now, loved the wheels on my S4 B6 same as yours, always looked good.

Thing is you can buy a mapped S3 for a small price at the moment fella, what is in your mind of value?

Sitrials is selling his S3 with interstella mileage for £4800, and that's an S3 whichever way you see it!.
We all know and agree that mods don't really add much value to a car, and as most people would probably suggest, can you not strip some of the stuff off and sell it near standard form and salvage some monies from the suspension/exhaust/wheels, that's if you still have the old stuff lying around?
Looking at the pics, it looks a nice car, and I have no doubt you would sell it on at the RIGHT price to the RIGHT buyer, who is after an A3 that's had all the work done already.

Goodluck with the sale.

Hope this doesnt offend....

id say to be honest, around £2250 with the mods if you have a look on ebay you will see, standard 1.8t's 97/98 are going from between £1300 + £1900 with average 100k, mines a high spec quattro and weve had silly £6000 offers of random people but parkers said its only worth £2650

Good luck with the sale Nick.

Suspect you'd be looking at 3k max in the current climate.
Thats 1 hell of a car you'd get for very little money though!

We both know it eats S3's for breakfast but thats another argument.... lol.

What are you looking at next?

If you do decide to split i'll probably have a few bits off you, Definitly the S4 reps formy winter rims :D

Jason

Very nice car! Looking at the current financial situation, I would say max £3000

cheers for all the opinions guys, I knew it was going to be a ****** to sell!

Jojo: it's basicly impossible to strip it back to standard, it's gone so far away from standard now, it would be a mission.

Most of the parts were replaced/upgraded when they became worn. I can't take the FMIC off, as it'll run horrifically without it, and I sold the SMIC to a mate after he crashed, the old discs/pads were worn out, the old suspension was beyond a joke at 150k, the list goes on.

It would probably cost me at least £500 in sourcing 2nd hand bits to change back what I could, then you would be left with 240bhp on standard suspension and brakes!

Shame really, as it's one hell of a car, and it's clearly got a good many years of life left in it.

I'm sorry to type this but the mods you've made will put most "normal" buyers off as the standard car buyer reads "modified" in an advert and translates this to "had the sh!t ragged out of it" regardless of if this is true or not.

I'd say your best chance of getting the most money for it (3K+) is either from a member here who can read through your old posts or perhaps at a big vw/audi meet where people will be able to better appreciate what's been done and whats it addd to the car.

I'm sorry to type this but the mods you've made will put most "normal" buyers off as the standard car buyer reads "modified" in an advert and translates this to "had the sh!t ragged out of it" regardless of if this is true or not.

I don't think personally, that a 'normal' buyer is the customer he is looking for, a forum member or Audi enthusiast or most probably a chav with a few grand burning a hole in his pocket will snap this car up once they have a spin in it... mileage would put me off though...

Thanks for you comment Mike, I totally agree, this clearly isn't a car for the 'normal' person.

I did infact give/sell it to my mum when I bought the E36 M3, but after just 4 days she realised it was a little more different to her old A3 tdi than she first thought!

It's a very easy car to drive fast, but it's certainly not for the 'non enthusiast' It's had a lot of care and attention in the time I've owned it, and it's rewarded me by being a really nice car, smart enough to turn up to a job interview in, yet cool and quick enough to hold it's own in the fast car scene.

Perhaps it'll go on ED38 or UKMKIVS to someone after something a little different but still 20vt....

Lets face it though, whipping the sump/head off and fitting new bigends and rings isn't the worlds hardest job, and would have it set for another 100k!

Prawn i think (which will mirror another comment here) that if you find the right buyer you will get a few hundred over the standard car..... the mods will reduce your buying audience considerably because they will only generally see the negative side of having the mods done in the first place..... your best bet is selling the bits seperately (what you can without causing too much hassle for yourself), oh and give me the RS4's:laugh:

Tim

I can't sell anything seperately though Tim, that's the problem!

I could take off the ARB's I guess, and get some ****** standard wheels and sell mine, but other than that, I can't really sell anything!

I've got my old 17'' TT 6 spokes I could whack on, still with fairly decent tyres....

How much do you reckon I could get for the 18'' S4 wheels?

oooh im not sure.... if the price was right id have them but thats a comment made after no research of what they are going for.....

If you make a suggestion of price i'll give you a yes or no now - maybe swap my Avus as an option too ya - im willing to do either Nick

Tim

Tim

I say keep it mate, at least until you get the right offer...

Sitrials is selling his S3 with interstella mileage for £4800, and that's an S3 whichever way you see it!.
We all know and agree that mods don't really add much value to a car, and as most people would probably suggest, can you not strip some of the stuff off and sell it near standard form and salvage some monies from the suspension/exhaust/wheels, that's if you still have the old stuff lying around?
Looking at the pics, it looks a nice car, and I have no doubt you would sell it on at the RIGHT price to the RIGHT buyer, who is after an A3 that's had all the work done already.

Goodluck with the sale.

My EARS Were burning!:sign_plug: S3 for SALE £4895!!!
Oh and 120k is not Intergalactic mileage!! :no:

I was thinking 2.5 k max taking into account the extras etc.

Same as me i have a nicely modded fast car only 113k on the clock but prob only worth 2k max as its only a 98 in most peoples eyes

An enthusiast will buy it for the right price but you need to bide your time

its like a house, you can spend as much as you like doing it up, there will always be a ceiling at which nobody will pay over.... the car will always be a 98 even to an enthusiast - sorry but thats just the way it is

Didnt Dave Bayern get a wickid deal on his? Pretty sure it had the same mileage spec etc as yours?

Ive thought of selling mine so many times a 99 with the same spec of Prawn's but its just not worth much these days. Id rather keep it till it dies!

For 2.5 k thats 1 hell of a car!

Nick you still havnt hinted at what you want next?

Jason

Jay, he may have got a wicked deal if he traded in but as we know, a deal is driven by the margin in the newer car...... i thought dave swapped his plus cash?

I honestly agree with Steve, 2k tops private, or 2.5k if he manages to find an enthusiast who knows him via here or elsewhere as confidence would be required to know that it hasnt been ragged about loads....

Dave swapped his for 6 grands worth of M3..... *******.

No need to keep saying you're sorry chaps! I know it's worth **** all! that's the problem, I just wanted to get an opinion from people more well informed than the average pistonheads buyer.

It'll probably go up on pistonheads at £3400ono..... then I'll take it from there. Sadly, it'll probably end up going for just 2500ish I fear!

As for a new car Jas, I liked RWD, I liked having an LSD, and I missed having a turbo. SO, considering my budget, that only really leaves me something Jap.

Love the look of this:

DSC01181.jpg

but it's come up for sale just a little too early for me to be in a position to buy it!

Chances of finding another bargain like it when I've got cash are low!

I see... Thats still a Much better car IMO. Friend of mine had 1 and i loved it when i drove it!

Good luck with the sale though you've helped me so much with my A3 ownership looks like theres only a few K03S'D Agu's left on here now!

My mum has a 53 Plate R32 which im trying to buy off her next year fingers crossed eh!

Jason