Haldex Fuse

JamesA3

Reaction score
I remember reading about a fuse that can be removed to disable the Haldex and run
the car in FWD mode, does anybody have the info on this

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
I remember reading about a fuse that can be removed to disable the Haldex and run
the car in FWD mode, does anybody have the info on this

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

there are different opinions on this from the info I've seen and heard, the first is that removing the fuse will feck up the haldex system in such a way that you'll need a new haldex /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The other opinion is it doesn't matter, which is based on the fact that some say they've never had trouble and Oettinger removed Drill's fuse when they RR'd his car and he's never had any problems.

Not sure what Haldex's view is on it, maybe somebody has contacted them in the past.....or if not maybe it's time I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Star performance wanted to remove my fuse when i had problem previously, i wasnt keen so i didnt remove it. I then spoke to Willy Connelly foreman at Lomand Audi and he said there wouldnt be a problem doing that and if Oettinger are doing it you would assume that there are no problems caused by pulling the fuse.

Why do you want to remove it anyway?

I know of a guy who removed his fuse to use a 2WD RR and ended up with a 3k bill !!

Its there for a reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wanted to test the car in 2WD mode to see how much quicker it is as I seem to be loosing a considerable amount of power through the 4WD

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
Pulling up the handbrake disables the Haldex try pulling up one notch, until the light comes on and obviously dont do it if it starts binding at one notch

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the sound of that. Any other way to confirm beyond ESP going mental as you take off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Andy bS3 said:
Pulling up the handbrake disables the Haldex try pulling up one notch, until the light comes on and obviously dont do it if it starts binding at one notch

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a try, I suppose you know if its working if you leave two thick black lines on the road

Wait for rain (shouldn't have to wait long) turn ESP off then floor it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

James M said.
wanted to test the car in 2WD mode to see how much quicker it is as I seem to be loosing a considerable amount of power through the 4WD

Wouldn't make any difference, you would still be seeing losses through the transmission from the engine side and the rolling resistance would still be higher because you would still be turning the rear driveshafts and diff.

So if you could damage the haldex by blowing a fuse then why fit a fuse in the first place?

[ QUOTE ]
neil.c said:
Wouldn't make any difference, you would still be seeing losses through the transmission from the engine side and the rolling resistance would still be higher because you would still be turning the rear driveshafts and diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only running the rear prop as the rear diff comes after the Haldex. Hence no loss on the diff as the Haldex isn't engaged.

Andy, I'm going to try that tomorrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was thinking this morning that the diff is still running since the rears are running, just not being "fed" by the Haldex.

Tried the one notch this morning with ESP off. Woah, slight wheelspin out the front. I'll wait until it's wet and try it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would everything not be free wheeling except after the clutch basket in the haldex when its disengaged?