Shall I change my MAF?

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
In the ongoing saga to sort my car, I tried unplugging my MAF the other day before driving to work. To my surprise the car didn't appear to run any differently; it initially coughed a bit from cold but after a few seconds it seemed ok.

What does this tell me about the MAF; Good or bad? I was expecting the car to really struggle! :shrug:

Why not try vag-com and check for any fault codes?

Been there done that matey. It's had all systems checked at JKM and given the all clear, but something must be up with it otherwise it wouldn't only be running 207BHP.

I've now got to the stage where I feel I need to try swapping a few key parts in the hope that it fixes the problem.

dont you have to run a 'set up' from vag com when changing the MAF? im hopefully gonna have a new 1 by the weekend.....

dont you have to run a 'set up' from vag com when changing the MAF? im hopefully gonna have a new 1 by the weekend.....

I don't think so, just stick it on and drive. I didn't do anything when I changed one on an A4 1.8T years ago.

MAF faults don't usually show up as codes for some reason. There wasn't one on the A4 it just didn't go any better after it was chipped.

Gavin

My car is hesitating slightliy on boost so I unplugged the MAF and it's boosting like it should do. Was a bit worried that it may be something else. I shopped around for a new one and spoke to VAG parts in Swindon who always seem to be cheap and supply genuine Audi parts, they told me the cheapest thing to do is take it to Audi who will exchange it for a new one and charge £64.00 + VAT which isnt bad. Before I do that I'm going to try and clean the sensor with some contact cleaner, anyone tried this?

[/quote]What does this tell me about the MAF; Good or bad? I was expecting the car to really struggle! :shrug:[/quote]

I thought if you disconnect the maf and the car still runs the same then you do indeed have a maf issue....got to be worth ago !!
Process of elimination......:unsure:

Just ordered mine today. new maf= £64+ old one

will post back when changed

Gav, later cars sometimes need the ECU reset and codes cleared to recognise the new MAF. This is how it was with Clare's Golf when she had it.

Gav, later cars sometimes need the ECU reset and codes cleared to recognise the new MAF. This is how it was with Clare's Golf when she had it.

Kev, was going on personal experience with an APU engined A4. There were no codes in the ECU on it. Would you needed the reset if there were no codes do you think?

Gavin

i have just changed mine on my BAM engine...... and guess what....... cant feel any difference :keule::lmfao: