Cracked Manifold

james_S3

Reaction score
I have just discovered that this horrible sound coming from my S3 is a cracked manifold. I started to remove it yesterday only to find a siezed bolt on the turbo bracket under the turbo. The bolt has now broken and i cannot remove the turbo!!! So i thought its ok i will just remove the bracket from where it connects to the block only to find i cant without removing the transmission box as the bolts are right behind there!!!!!

Anyone got any ideas? how hard is it to remove the manifold with the turbo and front pipe still in place?

have you tryed heating the bolt up and drilling it out?

Hi m8, sorry i cant help, but can i ask what kind of noise ytou were getting?

I was going to say what type of noise was it as well>??

Thats better, took me all day to drill a 325i manifold a few months back.

A cracked manifold will make your car sound like an old air cooled beetle.

So does a snapped conrod.. Over 2 thousand revs.. Snap crackle pop.. sounds kinda mad.. if you ignore the fact that the engine completly ******. lol

Thats what all the cars sound like round my town centre in the evening with chavs driving them...

Tried to get a Saw in there, No room as its too close to the bulk head!! Thought of a drill but guess what....... No room to get a drill in there. Could try heat but there is next to no thread to get any grips on to remove it!!!! Thinking or trying a Dremal??? if there is enough space.

The noise was like a air leak noise from behind the glove box. It was louder on boost and i was sure the car was not running right e.g lumpy. I had checked everything and was convinced it was the turbo. But when trying to remove the turbo i found the cracked manifold.

How much do you want for your manifold jim_s3?

i have not got a clue how much they go for either. Was going to get it welded but would be better to have one thats not cracked!! Anyone else got any idea how much they worth?

Just got the turbo off. Managed to break the nut and stud holding the turbo on!!!