Dumb question but......

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
.... how do you know if you have 'BOSE' speakers as oppossed to bog standard, and what's the difference between the two?

And the dumb follow-up question is can BOSE be retrofitted?

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Standard sounds sh*t, BOSE sounds less sh*t. Why the f*ck would you want to retro fit BOSE. Buy a decent headunit, replace the speakers and hear what decent car audio should sound like.

You get BOSE logos on each of the speaker grills.

I kept the original speakers and installed an amp and sub for better sounding base.

Sounds better that my mates S3 with bose now personally at a fraction of the cost and the base is handled by the sub and not through the rest of the car speakers meaning they do not distort any more.

I do but want to uprate the standard ones, but the fronts are a weird size and bolt hole pattern

It all depends upon what you are looking for as to your outlook on the Bose system.

If you want a system that can handle big volumes with a good clear bass line then the Bose might disappoint, but if on the other hand you want a system that can play all genre's of music at decent volumes, without damage to your ears, with a gentle bass line then the Bose is fine.

I have the Bose system in my S3 and can't say that I need or want to upgrade. I've been through the big ICE stage and now just want a stereo that plays music cleanly and crisply.

The only thing I wouldn't mind is a slightly better bass, but can't be ar5ed in putting in a sub.

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
It all depends upon what you are looking for as to your outlook on the Bose system.

If you want a system that can handle big volumes with a good clear bass line then the Bose might disappoint, but if on the other hand you want a system that can play all genre's of music at decent volumes, without damage to your ears, with a gentle bass line then the Bose is fine.

I have the Bose system in my S3 and can't say that I need or want to upgrade. I've been through the big ICE stage and now just want a stereo that plays music cleanly and crisply.

The only thing I wouldn't mind is a slightly better bass, but can't be ar5ed in putting in a sub.

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself...
I've done the 'sound off' thing in the past...and I really couldn't handle the thought of ripping my new car apart to fit new audio.
Sure, BOSE is not sound off quality...but I don't find it particularly lacking...if I have the sunroof wide open then the volume can struggle to overcome wind noise at high motorway speeds, other than that I find it pleasant to listen to for all music types.

Much better than standard...for not much more cost...and something you'll get some money back on when you sell.

Also, by playing with the 'hidden' equaliser settings you can improve clarity, imaging and staging...you just have to play about for a while.

As has been said though, the bass can struggle at high volumes if you have it turned up...if you have the sunroof wide open and you crank the music up, you'll hit full excursion on the 'sub' cones and you'll hear a nasty cracking noise...shut the sunroof and let the air pressure cusion the cones, and it dissapears.
I't doesn't bother me though...you work round it.

Glen, I've heard about this 'hiden' Equaliser but never been able to find it. Its certainly well hidden! Think its only on the symphony unit? I have the old unit, is this correct?

Oh S3 Beemer Beater (man thats one long name!) I fitted an Alpine V12 and Rockford Sub to the Bose set up and it works pretty well. You can splice into the wiring that goes to the Bose amp in the right hand site of the boot to pick up line-outs to run the amp. It a common earth set up so only need one wire per channel not a pair. Wanted to keeo the dask original as I like it lit up at night and also to keep the thiefs thinking its all standard too!

maybe you can help~: does the very fact that there is a OEM sub in the boot mean it's a bose system, or does the bog std setup also have a sub?

cheers

A Bose system will have the Bose insignia on all the speakers. It may say Bose on the info screen of the radio when you turn it on.If the speakers don't have the insignia it is not a Bose system.

cheers bampy, think i've got a std system then! ;-(
would it b a good idea to simply change the sub and amp but still use the same enclosure?

The Standard system has a sub in the rear compartment. I think the Bose system has 2 subs in the box. Look for the Bose logo on the headunit when you switch it on and also check to see if you have got the logo on the speaker grill.

Cheers
Rich.

I'd also like to find out about the hidden equaliser settings - can anyone help? Thanks.

so what's this hidden eq that I#ve heard about - seems nobody really knows anything about it?