Strange pitched noise after new tyres fitted.

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hey guys another problem with the s3, since getting 2 new Goodyear f1's on the front I seem to have acquired a strange high pitched noise that seems like it’s coming from the offside rear, but I may be wrong!

It can be heard much clearly with the windows up and only makes the noise when I come of the gas, it gets louder and faster as I go faster.

The noise is still there when I apply the brakes and when I pop it out of gear. Strange that it goes when I apply the gas??

Any ideas, I just had the 4 wheel alignment done and it didn’t fix the problem.

Thanks guys

Allan

I've heard that the rear diff does tend to whine slightly on all S3's

Sitrials experienced the same thing a while back....

Thats Un-canny!!

I put a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front of mine, and have exactly the same symptoms! Had them for 6 months now and have just put up with it. Although mines a FWD A3 TDI...

Maybe it is the tyres then, could be worth swapping them about and see... :shrug:

Yeah, possibly. I had mine at a garage to diagnose a different problem, and while on test drive, i pointed it out to them, and they said it was nothing to worry about!! It is a bearing type sound as you said, but im hoping its tyre related.

Will swap them about at lunch and find out if it changes....

i had this on my 1.8T when i changed to michelins on the front... whining noise for a good part of 20,000 miles..... didnt get better or wrose and the bearings where spot on.... you know how to check the bearings dont ya, just jack up and wobble the wheel lol

Swapped them about, sounds the same..... Just seemed a coincidence that i had the same tyres and noise.

Oh, and the tyres are inflated correctly and bearings were replaced 6,000k ago.

Thanks Anyway.

the noise im getting has got worse and sounds sorta like metal rubbing, im thinking rear brakes but the noise doesnt go when i break, do you think maybe the rear caliper is seized? How do i find out and can i fix it myself?

defiantly not the new tyres as the noise if defiantly coming from the rear.

Thanks

I've just put on 4 new michelins, and I'm hearing the whine as well. It is VERY annoying. Does changing the tyre pressures make a difference anyone?

I've ALWAYS put michelins on though, and this is the first time its been so pronounced. Maybe its because this is the first time in a long time that I have put NEW ones on the front. I normally get 2 at a time and put the rears (already partly worn) on the front.

If it is NOT the tyres, anyone have any ideas?