Revving

S3 Rav

Reaction score
:think: Hi just bought an s3 so new to this all. car has a revo remap 265bhp but i find that when putting my foot down and changing gears the revs take a while to come down . is this common and who knows whats wrong?

nah it doesnt feel like it. when actually changing from 1st to 2nd say, the revs take a long time to drop down, its lke the opposite from slipping if that makes sense??:think:

sounds like its either your clutch switch or your maf.

This happened to mine and a mew maf cured it but Ive seen a lot of post where it was the clutch switch located on the peddle.

this is a fairly common problem, but there does not seem to be one answer, i tried the clutch switch which was no help. i was told that the clutch switch is only to cut the cruise control off when pressing the clutch, right or wrong i dont know,
next i tried cleaning the throtle body and the butterfly inside as this seemed to be a possibility but still no luck.
the last thing i tried was the n75 valve which i changed for a j type, now this is the closest ive got to fixing the problem, its not right but its a lot better and i can change gear without looking and sounding like a 95 year old with no hand foot co-ordination..

Starry said:
this is a fairly common problem, but there does not seem to be one answer, i tried the clutch switch which was no help. i was told that the clutch switch is only to cut the cruise control off when pressing the clutch, right or wrong i dont know,
next i tried cleaning the throtle body and the butterfly inside as this seemed to be a possibility but still no luck.
the last thing i tried was the n75 valve which i changed for a j type, now this is the closest ive got to fixing the problem, its not right but its a lot better and i can change gear without looking and sounding like a 95 year old with no hand foot co-ordination..

with mine the maf was the culprit! have you tried a new one?

never tried the maf but i think i will see if i can borrow one for 10 min's and see if it improves it a little move.

Rav, the maf is the mass air flow meter and sits between the airbox and the and the intake on the engine. its held in with two screws and a plug.

so is this a common occurance then? iv just driven home now and the car doesnt feel right atal asif theres ot as much "punch" with the turbo...could this be connected?

The revving on problem is very common with mapped cars. You soon get used to it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch switch!! Clutch switch only turns off cruise if you have it.

You will soon get used to it, you will find that just coming off the gas, there is a slight delay also.

well i think there is some debate about the clutch switch heres some posts:

Meza said:
It sounds like you've had exactly the same two problems I had when I bought mine (@ 70k miles).

The revs problem was solved with the clutch switch, about a tenner at main dealer.

I thought mine would have been more powerful for 210bhp (coming from a 160bhp rover coupe). Used VAGCOM and some clever people on here to realise my MAF (mass air flow meter) was knackered. Replaced this and the car was transformed, like it had a rocket up the ****. This was £64, again at main dealer Audi Northampton (big plug... top service from them).

You can just disconnect your MAF and take it for a spin to see if that changes anything. If the car feels quicker then chances are you need a new one. When I disconnected my knackered one the difference was massive.

Another:

s3_tny said:
Hey guys i've just had my clutch switch replaced while in for a service and the difference is amazing, the only problem is, i was so used to it that i now have to change my gearing to suit the car as before when the clutch was pushed in and i was off the accelerater the revs would rise a few hundred more and make gear changes sound awful

where as now they just drop totally and make gear changes quicker

which is another minor prob sorted for me:thumbsup:

Good luck anyone else who's got this prob

Another:

imported_SYNAPS3 said:
YES! ABSOLUTELY!
It must be the clutch switch.
I had the same problem. Extremely annoying. Not only the car but also some dealerships who claimed that it was normal. Also got alot of the heavy flywheel crap... But if it was NOT there before it cant suddenly appear. Eventually got a new and even more faulty switch and with the service manager sitting in my car with me, the cause of the problem was evident. Got a new switch and my Rev's drop nicely now. Change the clutch switch cause you will not regret it! <font color="blue"> </font>

SYNAPS3 - Just add MDMA

:confused:

I had the same problem on my A4 (1.8T as well) whereby the revs would not decrease upon pressing the clutch, and this caused me to sound like a right amateur which I clearly am not.

Turned out to be the clutch switch in the end, to add to the confusion around this part. It costs &#163;8 from Audi, so it's worth a try.

Rubbish!! The problem is the throttle not closing quickly enough coming off the gas. It does it even without depressing the clutch, so the clutch switch is nothing to do with it.
If the clutch switch cuts the revs when depressed, or closes the throttle, how come if you keep your foot on thrrottle and dip the clutch when driving, the revs stay or increase as the engine load reduces? How come you can blip on down changes??

To the original poster, when you are accelerating and just come off the gas, (not on a gear change) does it feel like the car stays accellerating for a fraction of a second? If so, it is the trait of remapped drive by wire cars so just adapt!! One trick is to change gear a little slower and more deliberately.

yea sounds bout right. think it may jst be something to get used to i guess although i may check the maf 2mos. as posted earlia just today i feel the turbo is lacking punch and sounds alot louder. any suggestions?

If you have cruise control you can check your clutch switch by seeing if crusie turns off when clutch is depressed. If it does, that is it, it works!! MIne does (ie clutch switch works) and yet my throttle stays open for a moment after coming off the gas and can "rev" between gearchanges if you grab a gear to quick.
Clutch switch is just an on off switch, there is no potentiometer on it, so it is either on or off. If it works on cruise, it works, that's it!!!

hear what you are all saying, so how come my old shedof an A6 avant had a clutch switch and NO cruise control?????

Dealer told me it was to drop revs slightly when changing gear.

Simon

simch said:
Rubbish!! The problem is the throttle not closing quickly enough coming off the gas.

Im not saying it is this persons problem but... are you trying to tel me all these people who have resolved the over reving problem by changing the clutch switch that its just coincidently (magically) stopped doing it after they changed the switch. i don't think so :icon_thumright:

and why would they fit a clutch switch to a no cruise car? mine has no cruise but has a switch

simonwjones said:
hear what you are all saying, so how come my old shedof an A6 avant had a clutch switch and NO cruise control?????

Dealer told me it was to drop revs slightly when changing gear.

Simon

They all have them fitted, same as they all have loads of wiring etc that is not used.
MIne had one fitted and i had cruise retro fitted.

If anyone thinks the clutch switch does anythign else, go out and try it. light cruise, 30mph, hold throttle steady and dip the clutch. It does exactly what you would expect, ie the revs rise.

So by your logic Simch, the over revving problem on my A4 without cruise control was fixed by pure luck, seeing as though as soon as I put the clutch switch the problem was sorted?

Even the parts guy said it was a common problem, so I don't see how you think the clutch switch doesn't drop the revs when depressed?

If the clutch switch cuts the revs when depressed, or closes the throttle, how come if you keep your foot on thrrottle and dip the clutch when driving, the revs stay or increase as the engine load reduces?

This is laughable.

would the clutch switch be an issue even if there wasnt cruise control on my car? and for the maf would that come up as a fault with diagnostics because it didnt.

My remapped car has the exact same problem, it is annoying. But I also have the problem, where sometimes I get full boost, sometimes not.
I changed the clutch switch, with no effect. VAGCOM picked up the clutch switch up as a fault, but still over revving, as it has a panel filter, next step will be a new MAF, it can't do any harm.

yea might have to try that out aswell. getting my turbo cleaned out on thursday just to tick that off aswell. like i said iv had the diagnostics on with no faults. aparently to check the MAF you can remove it and drive the car, if it feels alot better the MAF needs replacing

It's a servicable item as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to replace the MAF for piece of mind, then give the Forge DV a service, hopefully that will sort my boost issues too :) After that, I'm running out of options, I know the map should allow to over rev a bit, but not as much as what it's doing atm surely :(

It's on the Forge web site how to, I may go back to OEM though if it does not fix my problems :(

am i being thick i cant find on the website where it talks about servicing the valve

cheers guys will have a look. pat whats the difference between the 007 and the more expensive one?