Donk donk uh ohh!

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
The beast is due it's MOT this friday and it's chosen this time to start playing up. I noticed after a long motorway drive there's a bit of play in the steering. When sitting still and moving the wheel side to side a small way, there's like a donk-donk sensation. Also from time to time when turning at a fair lock there's an audible click that I can feel through then wheel.

Checked all springs and none are broken (I thought this could be the source of the click).
What to you reckon guys, bushes or a new rack? :Flush:

Done 70K, nowt been replaced as far as I know. Cheers for the info, anyone know whether worn bushes are mot faliures?

I'm sure that the play in the steering will not be looked at very favorably.
At 70k miles it could be any of the above problems but my money would be on work track rod ends.

The clicking noise on full lock could be cv joint if it is happening while you move. If it's there when stationary then I'd say wishbone bushes.

Both should be fairly easy to diagnose if you get the front of the car jacked up. You should be able to teel where the play is then.

So if it's the track rod ends, when I lift the front end up I should be able to feel the play by giving the front wheels some whaggling?

The clicking only happens in motion, when stationary I can just feel a bit of play.

right, jack up one side at a time, leave the wheel attached, check for horizontal then vertical play (hands opposite sides of wheel etc.) horizontal is most likey track rods or rack etc. and vertical is likely to be the ball joints etc.

The wishbone bushes in my opinion are a ******* to tell what condition they're really in, have a good look at the big bush at the front of the wishbone - I could see daylight through mine when I took it off the car, also without compressing the spring it'll be quite difficult to check for play in them (IMO) so just have a good look.

you'll probably figure it out if checking the above then getting the wheels off using common sense and having a good look.

Ok, lifted it today and gave them wheels some stick. Both fronts remain solid so back to square one. Just hoping it passes the MOT for now.

It sounds much more like your UJ is away on the steering column to me.

It's pretty unlikely that this will get picked up on come mot time - mine was like that for at least 2 years until i found a new column on ebay, couple of hours fitting at and the noise is now cured.

You should be able to feel some play and the 'click' through the UJ if you get some1 else to turn the wheel of the car