uprated ecu?!!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
Whats the deal with uprated ecu's ie apexi? Alot of people talk about them but whats the real advantages?

Alot more functions that can be fine tuned for individual systems like your fueling, boost etc. If you are running water injection it could be managed through this too. Would also allow you to do away with some things like the MAF I think. Also have functions like launch control, anti-lag. Lots of fun for scaring people down the high street!

I think alot of VAG cars use the Emerald stuff. Not sure why but have noticed it used on a few 1.8t conversions in PVW. Theres heaps of them Motec, Pectel, Autronic, Apexi

Apexi? On a German car?
They deal mainly with the Jap stuff...although i'm sure it could work.

Basically stand alone management means you get rid of the factory limits on engine control...you can run the system much more simply with less sensors and emissions stuff..but you often loose the safety things like knock sensors or certain limits as the ECUs are race derived.

Some say you gain power...my experience is that if the tuner is capable of proper manipulation of the existing ECU there is little gain, people like CC, REVO...and presumably Star or AmD can do pretty much anything with the standard ECU within the limits of the hardware, but often they won't remove certain safety limits to stop the engine going bang and it coming back on them.

With stand alone you can do what you want - including set it up so stupidly that it blows up.

Systems such as DTA, Motech, Emerald, Lumenition etc all can be used...but on a 1.8T...with companies like CC etc willing to do proper bespoke mapping, I'm not sure there is much point in upgrading.
Personally I'd prefer to keep as many of the safety features and diagnostic features as possible....which means sticking with the standard ECU.

Previously, before proper bespoke maping of the 1.8T ECU was available, people went stand alone because it was easier.

As others have said, you can also add functions such as traction control, launch control etc...

Ah so theres not really any power gains to be had then! Not worth the money! by the time its been mapped etc all over again!

edward_harris said:
Ah so theres not really any power gains to be had then! Not worth the money! by the time its been mapped etc all over again!

A stand alone ecu setup correctly will produce much better results the a remapped ecu fact. At the end of the day it's about the ££££. If you have it, do it. When it comes to the safety aspect. Again, aslong as it's setup correctly there will be no issues. If you are worried about fuelling air ratios etc, get a knock link installed and a air/fuel ratio gauge fitted.

ant123456 said:
A stand alone ecu setup correctly will produce much better results the a remapped ecu fact. At the end of the day it's about the ££££. If you have it, do it. When it comes to the safety aspect. Again, aslong as it's setup correctly there will be no issues. If you are worried about fuelling air ratios etc, get a knock link installed and a air/fuel ratio gauge fitted.

Utter rubbish.

An ECU only really looks at throttle position, temperature, load/boost.
It only fires injectors and coil packs at the figures set in the map...based on the signals it gets.
Any ECU will do this, standard, or stand-alone.

The stand alone may well be easier to set up, or easier to run big injectors, or big boost (depends on the range of the MAP sensor) but no matter whether it's standard VAG, home-built Megasquirt or Motch/DTA etc..the same sensors on the same engine will give the same power.

ECUs aren't magic..they read signals coming in and send signal out...as long as you can correctly manipulate these signals (which the standard ECU sometimes cannot do) you will get the same power, no matter who's ECU you have fitted.

I have tried stand-alone vs mapped OEM and gained NOTHING.
So to say stand alone WILL give more power is ill informed and naive.
It can...depending on the standard ECU..but on the 1.8T engines, if someone who really knows what they are doing is writing the code, I can't see a stand-alone ECU giving anything extra...all the ones I've ever seen haven't produced anything more than a well mapped std ECU.

You might lose features like cruise control if you have it, which is controlled via the ECU.

Plus, I'm not sure if standalone has the adaption features to trim fueling based on differing engine components and combustion like the OEM ECU.

I run autronics in my evo which didn't cost too much.It allows me to eliminate the maf and run a map sensor ,obviously it's all down to the mapping but i would say standard ecu (remapped) is good for 400ish bhp although some have gone higher. Also comes with switchable anti-lag and launch control.
For the power you guys are running the standard ecu is fine.

Ryanc said:
I run autronics in my evo which didn't cost too much.It allows me to eliminate the maf and run a map sensor

so did u map the fuel to boost rather than airmass?

is it user friendly? i'm looking for a user friendly one

You run a air temp and map(manifold absolute pressure) sensor,yes boost.
I didn't map it ,one of the best in the business did it.All the functions of the car still work perfectly,eg air-con etc.

They don't do a plug in board like the one for evo's/scoobys but you should be able to use a generic one like the smc.Other options are motec etc.

interesting, i suppose it would just need the loom cutting but it could be done. will prob give bosch a shot first though