Red T Turbos

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
I have been told by someone that the Red T on some A3s particularly the A3 180 Quattro that the red colour denotes the use of a Ko3s Turbo as apposed to the K03...

Is there any truth to this ?

Regards

Tim

as i understand it audi dealers would use whatever badges they had available so a red T doesn't mean a lot

this has been discussed before and I wasn't convinced by the dealer decided option?? I can't beleive that a company like audi can spend millions on developing their brand and designing of their cars and the various models, and then let some bloke at the dealer decide on what badge he wants to put on the back???

it USED to hold some truth when VW released the Turbo Golf GTi. The turbo's used to have a red T. The audi made the situation worse by putting a red T in Tdi on the 130PS B5 A4's, to seperate them from the 110PS.

Otherwise, you can not read anything into what colour badge people have.

Since then, its been a bad case of penis envy for those people who haven't got a red T on their ****.

To make things even worse again, before the PD engines came out, the Red I was used to differentiate between the 90 tdi and the 110 tdi engines. Although apparently the red I can also indicate ‘sport’ trim.

My dads got a 110 tdi SE b5 A4 with a red I (non PD)

My mums for a 90 tdi Sport, also with a red I (also non PD)

God knows. Personally, I prefer the silver T on the back of my car.

I thought the early golfs had the red I and not the red T?

I’ve never seen a petrol golf with the red T, and lately, ive been lead to believe that a red I is a pd 100, a red DI is a pd 130, and a red TDI is a pd 150.

There are so many different explanations for the meaning of red letters.

I think your all missing the point. The guy is ask if the 180bhp 1.8T A3 has a KO3 or a KO3s turbo. If I remember correctly it's a K03s

Sadly that’s not always the case. Most 180bhp A3 quattros are ko3S, but that’s because the Quattro only came out in 99/2000 I believe, right before the fwd A3 switched over to the AUM engine with the ko3S. and the Quattro got the AUQ (I think)

Early quattros had the ko3 turbo, just with a different map to make 180bhp. Just like a few unfortunate people with DBW cars but ko3 turbos on the ARZ engine, although there aren’t many of them around.

Basicly, without knowing the engine code, you cannot tell.

Yep, i'm talking **** as normal, it was the 'I' on the golfs and the diesels, hence the big hoo-ha about people describing theirs as a "red eye"

not sure about the red T in that case. Also, what was the underlining all about??

Trouble is that most cars had their red 'I' nicked.

badge envy is a bit sad really, just a further arguement for de-badging.

hahaha

im tempted to debadge mine. but im unsure.

from one aspect, if i remove the 1.8T badge, people will be surprised when they see its fairly quick. people may also think 'sad git, took the badge off his 1.6 so nobody would know hes cheap'

then again, caring what other people think is really quite tradgic when i think about it.

perhaps I'll stop worrying about what people think and whip the badges off this weekend.

Prawn said:
hahaha

people may also think 'sad git, took the badge off his 1.6 so nobody would know hes cheap'

then, just put the throttle down a little bit to show that it ain't that cheap..:lmfao:

the look on their face :think:

I got the red T badge on my quattro and i've got the AQJ engine which i think has the ko3 turbo on it

mine is ajq and had the k03 turbo and mine had the red t

Thanks for the huge response on this... I have to admit its pretty confusing hearing about all the different colour varients on badges in the past.. It sounds like a red T doesnt mean one thing or the other...

What engine code do I need to have to have the Ko3S turbo.. I want to find out if i have one as I have been looking at re-maps and knowing what turbo you have is essential :O)

its a 2001 y plate 1.8T quattro...

I guess locating the turbo in the engine and trying to find a part code will be harder than i think ?

Regards

Tim

haha, finding the part number on the turbo is a no go. its on a tiny blue and silver metal tab on the compressor housing. I only know this because ive seen mine off the car! i dont think you can see it when its fitted.

however. if you want to know your engine code, its printed in the data sticker in the spare wheel well, and will be a 3 letter code. its also hammered into the head. as you look at the engine bay from the front of the car, bottom left on the head is a tiny flay surface, about 15mm wide and 20mm long, the 3 letter code is hammered into this surface.

Go read your engine code, then compare it to the list of engine codes on here, or if you cant find it, post up the code and we can tell you which turbo you have.

Chances are on a 2001 it'll be a ko3S. especially if its facelift. ive not heard of any facelift TQ's with ko3 turbos, although it is possible knowing audi!

OK, I got my service book out and there is a sticker in the front...

next to Engine Code it says :

ARY and then next to it FGT FHA

it then says 132kw which i understand is the engine output
M6S (gearbox) and then 04/01 (year of manufacture)

Does this give enuff information to determine the type of turbo fitted ?

Thanks and regards

Tim

I made a search on www.turbodriven.com and the turbos installed on the A3 1.8T (not S3) are(according to the site):

Results for »Audi A3 1.8T«

BW Part Number : *5303 988 0052 OEM Part Number :06A145704T Manufacturer :Audi Vehicle :A3 1.8T Engine :From :9/1/2000 Power (kW/HP) :132/180 BW Part Number : *5303 988 0052 OEM Part Number :06A145713D Manufacturer :Audi Vehicle :A3 1.8T Engine :From :7/1/2001 Power (kW/HP) :132/180 BW Part Number : *5303 988 0011 OEM Part Number :06A145704 Manufacturer :Audi Vehicle :A3 1.8T Engine :1,8-5V quer/transversal From :10/1/1996 Power (kW/HP) :110/150 BW Part Number : *5303 988 0026 OEM Part Number :06A145704A Manufacturer :Audi Vehicle :A3 1.8T Engine :1,8-5V quer/transversal From :2/1/1999 Power (kW/HP) :132/180 BW Part Number : *5303 988 0053 OEM Part Number :06A145704S Manufacturer :Audi Vehicle :A3 1.8T Engine :From :5/1/2000 Power (kW/HP) :110/150