Advice please....... (be warned its a long story)

j4jon said:
Throttle body?

Yup thats the puppy!

Sorry no prizes for the right answer but you were first!

Turns out something mechanical in the throttle body had malfunctioned but wasn't showing up on VAG-COM so it wasn't until they tried a new one that they actually discovered that was the problem.

SanityClause said:
It was Miss Scarlett in the Library using the lead pipe.

LOL

I always go for proffessor plum with the lead pipe but maybe thats just me!

Excellent news!!!! Ask S'ton Audi if they'll do a deal on the labour. I did once a few years ago when i had some work done to a A4 with a rattle that took hours and hours to sort out. They did... it wasn't much but by the sounds of it anything will be a help!!

I will get as much details from Audi today in regards to how it went faulty and if there could be any link to the work that was done or to the damage that was caused. At that point i can go back to the lawyer i spoke to before about it and see if he thinks i have a case, if he does not then will just have to bite the bullet and dig deep into my pockets.

Will also see if i can get the Audi bill as low as poss as a few parts they changed eg the MAF sensor were already brand new with receipts so i think i can get them replaced under warranty. As for labour they already offered me half price hours that is why i gave them the extra day in which they discovered the Throttle Body issue.

That is excellent news!!

How did the cold start test go this morning then? Everything still alright?

Glad to hear that the issue was found!

Shame you had to go through it all, so whats the crack with ABTech now?

Not contacted Audi yet will do it after lunch, But fingers crossed its still ok and that it cold tersted fine. Audi seemed pretty confident that the throttle body was the issue but i guess they wanted to be 100% before they give the car back.

Will also have to wait n see what they say on how and why it went faulty as it might just be a freak coincidence that it died and nothing to do with ABTech.

nOw not sure if its right, (it does not sound right to me) but i read a post where someone reckons if you move the throttle body by had, eg while trying to clean it, you can damage the stepper motor.
Anychance someone knacked it trying to sort it out?

Maybe one of the techs at Abtech swapped it out for one of theirs! Seems odd it worked ok befroe it went in and dd not work ok afterwards.

I am amazed they did not find this with a Vagcom log while drivign it would Pretty sure it would have been massively obvious if the tps and body were not moving properly!

It should of shown up via VAG-COM but for some reason it did not.

Just had the final bill from Audi which is £1700 not great but its better than paying £1100 and getting the car back still broken. Will be off to Audi after work today so can ask some more questions then. So should be back in the S3 by this evening!!
:blackrs4: = :jump:

Thanks to all of you who were wishing me luck etc now will be back to saving up for that custom code remap!!

Yup just got home £1700 lighter from my wallet but sooooo much happier as my S3 drives better than ever!!! its so good to be driving something that has some go and to be able to overtake people again!

Almost can't wait for the drive to work 2moro as a nice blast down the motorway will be quite soothing in the S3.

Southampton Audi did a good job as they managed to fix what others gave up on, They did me a good deal as they only charged me half price labour so even though it sounds expensive at £1700 the actual £2900 would of been a whole lot worse. Plus of course i get the Audi gaurantee on all the work done and a nice bonus of a card which entitles me to 10% discount on parts etc...

Still not sure why the throttle body went tits up but will sit down and try to work it out over the weekend and if i think its worth it might give the small claims court a go to see if i can get any money back.

Just got to work, Car drove lovely the only things that i can spot that are a little weird is that there is a very highpitched noise like a whine (almost sounds as if one of the windows is open a little but they are not) when you get above say 30mph.
Also the car does not seem to get as warm as it used to. It used to get to 90 and stay there but now its more like 70-80. Will check with Audi later. Other than that all seems A Ok!

The temp problem is thermostat (less likely to be temp sender but could be).

The part is about £14 (trade) so I would be asking Audi to change it for free seeing as you've just spent £1700!! It's not a big job at all.

They probably won't do it for free but worth a punt!

Stewart said:
The temp problem is thermostat (less likely to be temp sender but could be).

The part is about £14 (trade) so I would be asking Audi to change it for free seeing as you've just spent £1700!! It's not a big job at all.

They probably won't do it for free but worth a punt!

Thanks for the info will phone Audi tonight and ask them about it all. I have the drive home first to see if it does the same thing.

vrbob said:
Thanks for the info will phone Audi tonight and ask them about it all. I have the drive home first to see if it does the same thing.

It's not a massive problem, just means your engine is running slightly cooler due to the thermostat not opening and shutting properly according to the water temperature, usually indicative of a weak spring.

Well my car has had lots of new parts in the last few weeks so might as well get at least one more.

Glad you got it sorted, shame you have had to stump up the cost though.

Just go out and enjoy this weekend.

Drive home today was the best i have had in ages its great to be back in the S3 after all the crap i have been driving.

Temp gauge was still being funny until i got close to my parents house, then all of a sudden i looked down and it was at 90 and staying there. So stopped off to use my dads garage to have a looksie under the bonnet etc, this is when i discovered the bit of trim over the headlight Audi had replaced was too long. I cut it down to the same size as the other side and went for a spin round the block. The whistling noise has now gone and the temp gauge is till at 90 so it would seem all is good. Will keep an eye on the temp gauge and if it starts being funny i will contact audi.

Great news Bob, fingers crossed for you now mate

My temp gauge did that after audi had the car. I replaced the temp probe and now everything is ok.....

i went looking for this a few weeks back...hell of a story isnt it :icon_thumright:

Just spend the last hour reading this all thoroughly. Sounds like a nightmare for sure! I'm really glad you got it fixed! All because of a throttle body!

Whatever happened with your claims and did you manage to get ABTech to foot the bill for the parts it seems as though they damaged, or replaced needlessly?

Did you get the remap in the end? :)

Well i never spoke to ABTech again i didn't pay them anymore money for the replacement ECU or anything but i did have to stump the bill that Audi charged to actually fix the car. Which was only fair as they did not cause the problem.

It was so crap when it was going on it stressed me out to the max infact till i made myself ill. I was without my car for like 3 months and all the time the ££££'s were flashing in my head and i didn't know when i should just pull the plug and sell the car for spares to at least make some money back before i lost it all.

Since then i have had the car reamapped by CustomCode although its not looking like its doing what it supposed to as i only got 235bhp on a rolling road the other day. So looks like i will be off to get the car VAG-COM'd soon to see if it has any issues if not then i will be off to customcode to see why it aint doing what it supposed to.

VR im gonna get mine booked in for next weekend, watch this space if you dont get there before me with ya reports

Will be very interested to see what they discover! i tried to get the mobile guy to come see my car on friday as he is in the area but CC wanted £50 an hour to look at the car.

Have had an offer form the guys i got it Rolling Roaded with for them to give it a test for me and as they are so lacal to me i will defo be taking them up on the offer. So once that is done we can compare results.

If it is the Remap at fault what sort of grounds do you think we have, can we get our money back or what??

Hey Rob,

Good luck with getting a refund from Custom Code! After JKM told me my car was fine and it was the map that was at fault, I spoke to James Silverstone the MD of CC. He was adamant that as they have their map running on loads of cars there could never be anything wrong with it. To be honest the guy seems to know his stuff though. He went through my logs and said I've probably got a boost or exhaust leak.

They would want to see your car up in Derbyshire before doing anything though which for us is a real pain in the ***! I'm considering taking mine to Regal to see what they say and get a second opinion. I'm still of the thinking that it's my exhaust because it makes some strange noises and sounds very tinny. I reckon I've got a crack in it somewhere so am gonna start by replacing the cat-back section with a Miltek.

Fun fun fun!!

God vr you don't get much luck do you! I doubt it is the map at fault you probably have something wrong else where, cc are supposed to be spot on with the work they do aren't they??

well mines booked in for next saturday, they assure me however that the map will be fine....i cant really see how it can be the map as the car didnt noticeably do what its doing in the first few weeks of having it..... they mentioned something about wastegates being set wrong from factory and a few other symptoms....we'll see after saturday...will post hopefully with my resolution

Not the luckiest guy with this car but i have had my fair share of ups n downs so you just get on with it and cope with what you got.

Well i would only be looking for a refund if the remap was found to be the faulty item. I will chat with Regal soon and get the car booked in to be checked over by them. i don't wanna sound greedy as 235bhp aint bad but i really want that 260 as that is what a paid for.

between the three of us 1Animal1 off to CC HQ and me and Andy sorting it out down here one of us has got to get it right. The only difference i can see is that Andy's car is really low on BHp whereas we are approx the same at 235. I have to say though i have not really noticed any difference in performance since the day of the remap and my car still seems to pull to the redline.

Ok car is going to Regal Autosport 2moro for some checks so fingers crossed (again).

Just got back from Regal.

Big thumbs up and thanks to them for taking the time out to give my car a looksie and take some logs.

First off the car seem ok physically eg no boost leaks etc so thats some good news.

i am being emailed the logs but as yet have not recieved them once i do i will post the results. Chris tried to explain what they mean but its a bit beyond me to be honest. the basic jist is that the remap just isnt pushing the car enough eg not enough boost and not holding enough boost.

Now chris doesn't wanna start WW3 with CC which is understandable but he has offered to remap the car with his software at a discount price.

First off i wanna get the log files and post them fo CC to look at because if it is the map causing my prob i will want a refund as i am not getting the stated 260-265bhp and 250-265ft/l torque they quote on their website. If they are not prepared to help out i may bite the bullet and get chris to remap it that way if it does start to perform correctly i can prove it was the CC software.

As said we will wait till we see the logs from you.

This file on your car has been fitted to many others without problems so it would just point down to there being an issue with the car.

But we shall see when we get the logs :)

As said on a previous post - if the fault shows down to the map then we will give the offer to re-tune the car before we can offer a refund - if it is down to a fault with the car I cannot offer a refund on the remap.

Custom-Code Team