** BEWARE, SCAMMER ALERT! i think?! **

Hardsy

Hardsy_S3
Reaction score
Guys n girls need your help, selling my old car (mr2 roadster) had this email and have now recieved a cheque what shall i do!?

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my
requirements perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in the
Singapore , i shuffle most of my time between the two .

THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION:

1) I WANT YOU TO TELL ME YOUR LAST PRICE OF THE CAR £7,750

2] AND I SAW THE PICTURE OF THE CAR I WILL NEED MORE IF YOU CAN SEND IT TO ME.

3) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT / CHEQUE WHICH I WILL ALLOW TO CLEAR BEFORE THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE CAR.

4) I WILL INCLUDE FEES FOR SHIPMENT IN PAYMENT, THIS MY SHIPPING AGENCY WILL USE FOR PICK-UP.

The excess funds will go towards covering costs for shipping,shippers fees,insurance,tax and any other expenses that might be incurred getting it down to the new owner.
I will want you to get in touch with the following details if my terms are okay:
FULL NAME........ ....................
ADDRESS........................
TELEPHONE NUMBERS....... ............( Mobile and Land)
As soon as i have your details,i can have payment effected
immediately,all things being equal,we should have this wrapped up by the end of this week.Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up as soon as you make the car ready.I beleive that most transaction are based on trust,so i will look forward to a succesful transaction with you.
I want you to know that I am very busy Man, I am presently here in uk pursuing my Real ESTATE Construction project this Real ESTATE business is really taken my whole time. And i will going back to singapore and Netherlands very soon bcos i have a buisness over there you will get the payment before 10 day. I travel alot in my line of buisness hence the reason why i wont be able to come and view the car at your end bcos i will go back to singapore very soon.I will tell my shipping agent to come to your location and view the car maybe is okay bcos i want good car .And if there any problem about the car pls you can tell me have a nice day,

Call me around 6pm (07023056693)or{07024064735}

I await your swift response.

Best Regards,

Peter,

i also found this on the net http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=67143&page=1

I think this is very very dodgy, basically after furthur email convo (whilst only giving out my address to send a cheque too) the deal was that he would send me a cheque for more than the value of my car, i can then wait for this to clear and then withdraw the amount after the value of my car to hand to an 'associate' that does the handover for my car.

Basically this morning i have a cheque for £12,000 at my house, a barclays cheque with my name on the top of it!

What do i do?! do i just cash it in anyway?!

Help me out
Nick!

I dont think you even need to ask do you?

bin it bud

Do you really think anybody with a brain in their head would send you a cheque for almost double what your car was worth 'trusting you' not to keep the money and do one?

Scam. The cheque will bounce after you have given him the change and the car.

Stick it in the bin.

You can cash it, more than likely it will clear and you will see the funds in the account but you cannot draw it. However due to the way the cheque clearance works it will take a further week to clear, in some cases the 'final' clearance will have to go to a foreign bank which takes a further two weeks to go thourgh clearing and you will need to pay £80 for the privilige to the bank to do this final clearance. During this time the dude will call and hassle you to get the car saying you have the money yadadh yaddah and that they desperatly need it. Quite frankly it is a very well put together scam. You can trace the cheque if you want but that is just a waste of time as 9/10 it is a real cheque just the account number/signatory/company has been forged.

Personally I would deny ever receiveing the cheque (unless you have done so) and pass it onto the police if you are that way inclined or you can inform them that you have banked it and the bank say that it will take a minimum of 6 weeks to clear due to the nature of the transaction at which point they will go mental.

Yeh should i just cash the cheque and then refuse anything for 6 weeks?! anyway of scamming these back?! lol whilst being legit?

Cheers

Cash teh cheque if you like - just dont hold out any hope of it clearing fully - and dont under any circumstances let the car go anywhere beforehand.

to be honest it's blatantly a scam, the best thing you could do is bin the cheque, block his emails and move on. No point ******* about!

The car wouldnt be going anywhere anyways mate, how could it without me pursueing this....reckon i shud just cash it anyway n see what happens?! grrrr dodgy stuff hate it

I reckon you should bin it.

But i also reckon you arent gonna lol so you'd be as well to go down the bank tomorrow and stick it in your account then ignore the guy till he emails asking if its cleared.

argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i dunno what to do the temptations their.... say if it ever did clear (would it eventually??) would it be real money?! if u get me? if i took this outta my account. would it be mine?! or would one day it come bc to haunt me?!

Nick

It more than likely wouldn't clear fully - i.e the funds would not be drawable.

If it did i would leave the cash in the account for another 2 weeks before touching it.

The bank can also withdraw funds that are not yours from your account providing it is not their mistake(which it wouldn't be as its a fake/forged cheque) Leaving you with

No car

-£7.5k

No way of tracing dodgy dealer as all you have is an email address and no proof of his identity or how to find him. The buck for finances and said fake cheque stops with you.

Of course that might never happen....

Your call bud lol

The Bank can recall a cheque for up to 6 MONTHS after its 'cleared'.

Bin it. Forget about it.

Have you not read/heard about scams exactly like this in the media?
Bin it and move on.
Cheques are a total joke, you need a bankers draught or a money transfer, no one with a brain uses cheques for this type of transaction.

Simple really, call the police. Get them to check it out. Fraud team should be interested.

Hardsy said:
argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i dunno what to do the temptations their.... say if it ever did clear (would it eventually??) would it be real money?! if u get me? if i took this outta my account. would it be mine?! or would one day it come bc to haunt me?!

Nick

If anything sounds to good to be true it is usually a scam christ the bloke can't even write in proper english,hardly inspires confidence does it.If you took it out of your account and blew it the bank would come after you.Keep clear mate it is a scam without doubt.

Buttt nooooooo..

george_2_200x150.jpg

Iss totally innoosent!!

Seriously, you must be having a laugh if you are thinking of cashing the cheque!!!

You have no idea what a bad idea that idea is fella!!!! ;-))

I can't believe you are talking about cashing it "to see what happens". It's organised crime and the people behind it are not very nice.

dunno who is more stupid the scammer or you for even thinking for one minute its legit!

Ask yourself one question.....if he is so busy on his REAL ESTATE business in the UK, what is he messing about buying an old MR2 for.......??

You best be careful that you dont get a visit from this scam man now he has your address! Bin the cheque, tell him you were arrested when you tried to cash it and DCI davies of xxx CID wants the purchasers details.......ask him for his address to pass on to the police, hopefully that will mean you never here from him again!
where were you advertising your car...?