blown speakers

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've noticed the front drivers door speaker (on my new 2001 A3) is really crackerly. This is really noticeable when the volume is down low. I'm guessing this means it's blown?

My car has the Corus head unit with Bose front speakers.. Dose this mean it is the Bose sound system?

And, where can I get a replacement speaker from? Should I call Audi Parts, or will I pay through the nose for something I could get cheaper somewhere else?

im quite surprised you have blown your bose speakers mate, thats very rare to happen! if i was you either go directly to bose and see what they can do, usually they do a repair service or talk to audi and see what they recomend mate, or buy some new ones from fleebay!!! :)

Check in the left cubbyhole in the boot, you'll see a black plastic box that's supposed to be a sub woofer. If it has a single 6.5" speaker then it's a non Bose system, if it has 2 x 4" speakers then it's Bose. The Bose system also has a small amp located behind the offside rear lights.
But yeah as Herby says unless your car is under warranty do NOT go to the dealers, just get some replacements off ebay.
If it's a non Bose system then you can go aftermarket a get some decent front components for around £60, but you'll need fitting adapters.

I've blown my front drivers side Bose Woofer. I had to hunt for ages to find a second hand replacement (which came via the forum Classifieds in the end).

Note that most of the stuff on eBay or from breakers are 'full Bose system' only - which isn't much use if you only want one speaker.

FYI a replacement is £100 from a Stealer.

You can pick up all the speakers for less than that on ebay, then sell the extra bits seperately.

I have a full set which i might split,i was asking Andy's advise about them last week.I bought a set of door trims that have bose but i dont have a bose system,so i'm going to swap my standard speakers over.These are from a 4 door if theres a difference?

Thanks for all the info guys. I check out the kit in the boot tomorrow and try and work out what sound system it is I have. However I did see on the original reciept for the car that it had the 'BOSE upgrade' at a cost of £92. Seems cheap to me, perhaps it's just got Bose speakers in the front?

There is also another really random problem (sorry on picked the car up yesterday), there is a buzzing noise coming from the speakers when the stereo is on.. This noise altually increases up and down when you rev the engine as though the noise of the engine is coming through the speakers???

Please help, this along with the creeky dash is going to have to get put right ASAP!

normally a surpressor on the power feed line maybe that has failed or come undone ???? never had it on a std system normally get it when someone does a poor custom install.

The Bose upgrade is a completely different system, only the HU is the same.
All the speakers are different, the sub is different and you have an additional amp in the boot running all the cabin speakers. It was a £500 upgrade at the time, so very much doubt Audi would discount it down to £92.
You can't just add Bose speakers to make the system Bose, if you do it'll sound terrible and probably blow up the HU's internal amp as the speakers are 2 ohm impedance.
The buzzing noise is alternator whine and would seem to suggest someone has been fiddling with the system, you need to pull the HU and take a picture of the wiring to narrow it down.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a picture at the weekend and post it up for you to have a look at.

I found a small thin amp in the left side of the boot this morning, I'm guessing this is the BOSE bit - although the sound isn't that amazing.. One (accountant) owner from new with only 45k-miles so I don't think anyones been upgrading anything?!

No the Bose amp is in the right cubbyhole behind the rear light cluster (looks like it's just been shoved down into the cubbyhole).
On the left is the sub, CD changer if you have one and possibly some other gubbins depending on the spec.

AndyMac said:
Check in the left cubbyhole in the boot, you'll see a black plastic box that's supposed to be a sub woofer. If it has a single 6.5" speaker then it's a non Bose system, if it has 2 x 4" speakers then it's Bose. The Bose system also has a small amp located behind the offside rear lights.
But yeah as Herby says unless your car is under warranty do NOT go to the dealers, just get some replacements off ebay.
If it's a non Bose system then you can go aftermarket a get some decent front components for around £60, but you'll need fitting adapters.

Ach...nads, and here is me thinking I had a bose system... :faint: It appears the only option the original owner went for was the leather interior. He kept that well though, to be fair!!!

Well to be fair the Bose upgrade isn't worth £200 let alone £500, and the non Bose system is easier to upgrade.
The rear speakers in the Bose system, look like they were taken out of a WW2valve radio.

I had a simler problem with my rear speakers, it had a faint noise when on low, if I turned the volume right up and then back down it seemed to be fine. I found that one of the connectors was a bit corroded and a new connector cured the prob. If you have not got your parts yets just check your connections might save you a bit of money.