Thinking of buying an A3 1.8T Sport Quattro

jimny33

Reaction score
What do I look for?

What are they like to own?

Is the quattro worth the extra money over the standard 1.8T sport? Does it effect performance? Why are there so few?

Are they lowered as standard?

What are the specs? Alloys, air/con etc

Whats the difference between the facelift and prefacelift? and when did it happen?

Do they take the miles well - i.e is 56,000miles on a 52 plate car a problem for a properly maintained car?

What spoilers are availible - I always like spoilers, and maybe slight bodykit, just to deffrenciate my car out from the masses!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

James

jimny33 said:
What do I look for? when viewing the car do all the usual checks that you would with any car i.e oil cap to check condition of the headgasket, general wear and tear etc, enquire about the cambelt and water pump if theyve ever been changed, along with the MAF and check the diverter valve in the test drive to see if thats damaged, check the coolant gets up to temp in a reasonable time etc

What are they like to own? i love mine, does drink a fair bit of petrol when driving "spiritedly" theyre a bit slow as standard, the extra 30bhp over the T sport does not account for the extra 250kg of the quattro system, get it remapped.

Is the quattro worth the extra money over the standard 1.8T sport? Does it effect performance? Why are there so few? depends what you do with the car, if you plan on tracking it, go for the 1.8T, the extra weight and quattro system just takes away precious ponies but for normal road conditions go for the quattro, nothing better than being able to put full power down exiting corners :)

Are they lowered as standard? not sure if theyre lowered, but they do have a stiffer suspension

refer to http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/equipment.aspx?deriv=16779 for spec, too much to list here

Whats the difference between the facelift and prefacelift? and when did it happen? facelift happened late 2001 (october i think?) difference is one piece headlights, revised rear lights, different climate control display, gearbox gets an extra gear

Do they take the miles well - i.e is 56,000miles on a 52 plate car a problem for a properly maintained car? like most cars, if FSH they will happily keep on trucking for as long as they can, mines on a 2000 with 52k miles and still feels nice and tight

What spoilers are availible - I always like spoilers, and maybe slight bodykit, just to deffrenciate my car out from the masses!

S3 spoiler really, theres not masses of nice looking body pieces for the A3 unfortunately

Thanks

James

Hope this helps

James,

I'll let you how I get on... I've just bought a 2001 model with 45k miles on the clock. I pick it up monday!

However, when I test drove it, it felt much quicker than any of my 1.8T MK4 golfs (x3) I've owned over the last few years!

I'm really excited about picking it up, as it felt amazing on corners!

AudiSport said:
James,

I'll let you how I get on... I've just bought a 2001 model with 45k miles on the clock. I pick it up monday!

However, when I test drove it, it felt much quicker than any of my 1.8T MK4 golfs (x3) I've owned over the last few years!

youll love it :)

AudiSport said:
James,

Cool how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for all the help! Anywhere recomended to buy an A3, what are the dealers like?

Also I think I saw an A3 on here with Porche (sp?!) wheels on - do they bolt straigh on??

jimny33 said:
What do I look for?

What are they like to own?

Is the quattro worth the extra money over the standard 1.8T sport? Does it effect performance? Why are there so few?

Are they lowered as standard?

Whats the difference between the facelift and prefacelift? and when did it happen?

Do they take the miles well - i.e is 56,000miles on a 52 plate car a problem for a properly maintained car?

Thanks

James

I'd say save for a month or two more and get the S3 225, i wish i had, although even now the price hasnt come down enough for me to able to afford a good one.

Lovely to own, looks nice and drives lovely, (people always comment on what a nice ride it is)

Quattro is safer but heavier and higher fuel costs....handles like a dream though, any fool can powerslide the roundabouts and looses no power in the wet. off the lights will loose cars with more power....(then they'l fly past when they get traction lol.)

Specs are best found on a site like parkers etc but the general is Aircon/climate control, alloys, full electrics including lumbar support....pretty much fully loaded ish

the facelift took place in 2001 and basically made it prettier, front lights, read lights and some subtle interior changes. Mine is prefacelift and you can pick these up cheaper becuase of it. most of the facelift changes can be done yourself if u really wanted to

Mileage.........hmmmm. most audis go forever as long as they are well maintained. mine is 2000 model mind you with 60k on it so i'd obviously look for lower mileage ones if possible. look for ones with cambelt/waterpump/clutch changes otherwise as these cost big bucks to do when it hits 60K+

the best spoiler you can get is the standard s3 one or replica available. Most of the others look takky

ps, in the time it took me to write this its too late, youn got one. lol. get it remapped. worth it and takes it over 200bhp with jabbasport or APr for about £500

Enjoy it along with all the problems that face you....lol

Dave

I cant aford the insurance on a S3, although I can on a modded 1.8T (work that out if you can! lol) otherwise I would be going for a S3

Question - the only difference between the 150 Sport, and 180 is the engine map right?

Well I know what some will say! ;)

Save the weight and go for FWD, but I have an over weight S3! Still love it to bits, I believe the 1.8TQ is rare so enjoy the search!

Good luck

i've heard on the later 1.8ts they have the ko3s turbo instead of the k03 which means it can be mapped to over 210 bhp, mine is a 2000 model and i just got 198.4 bhp. Stiff shift like hell though when it used to work. gonna sell mine now though, bored of getting 280 miles to a £58 petrol tank. Love the car, hate the bills!

MeAndMyBaby said:
i've heard on the later 1.8ts they have the ko3s turbo instead of the k03 which means it can be mapped to over 210 bhp, mine is a 2000 model and i just got 198.4 bhp. Stiff shift like hell though when it used to work. gonna sell mine now though, bored of getting 280 miles to a £58 petrol tank. Love the car, hate the bills!

:huh: dont tell me that! :no: lol

Is that because it has been remapped?

jimny33 said:
:huh: dont tell me that! :no: lol

Is that because it has been remapped?

thats the downside with the car its v heavy on fuel on a trip to newcastle i filled up full and motorway driving will see 350 from a full tank but its all smiles :)

i had mine remapped at ChippedUK they managed to get it up to 223.7bhp, the .7 makes a lot of difference!

so audi claim 35mpg for the non quattro...whats the more real life figure?

jimny33 said:
Cool how much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for all the help! Anywhere recomended to buy an A3, what are the dealers like?

Also I think I saw an A3 on here with Porche (sp?!) wheels on - do they bolt straigh on??

I paid £6000 for a 2001 1.8T QT in silver with 45-k miles and one owner from new with full Audi History. It also has the multi-function steering wheel and the bose upgraded system. Seemed a good deal to me as the car looks, smells and drives like new.

I too wanted an S3, but I figured for 7.5k I would get a car that had had many owners and about 80k on the clock. Or I could save £1500 and buy this car.. It was a no brainer for me. I pick it up monday. (Private sale).

What does the S3 spoiler look like, does anyone have any pics? And, has anyone fitted a short shift kit to one of these?

I'm a little worried about the fuel after reading all your posts!

The engine had 5V on it when I lifted the bonnet.... It didn't have that written on my 1.8T golfs!

AudiSport said:
I paid £6000 for a 2001 1.8T QT in silver with 45-k miles and one owner from new with full Audi History. It also has the multi-function steering wheel and the bose upgraded system. Seemed a good deal to me as the car looks, smells and drives like new.

I too wanted an S3, but I figured for 7.5k I would get a car that had had many owners and about 80k on the clock. Or I could save £1500 and buy this car.. It was a no brainer for me. I pick it up monday. (Private sale).

What does the S3 spoiler look like, does anyone have any pics? And, has anyone fitted a short shift kit to one of these?

I'm a little worried about the fuel after reading all your posts!

The engine had 5V on it when I lifted the bonnet.... It didn't have that written on my 1.8T golfs!

I think the 5v is the 5 valves per cylender, so that owuld equal the 20v :)

Good question abut the S3 spoiler...piccys anyone pref. not on an S3 though!

How hard is it to put an after market headunit in. I currently have a very nice alpine one in my freelander and would most likely want to swap it over. What functions would I loose?

Thank you! :hi:

i think it looks gash when people put aftermarket headunits in place of the audi one, just doesnt look right at all!

yes the 5V means 5 valves per cylinder, 3 intake, 2 exhaust

whats the sound quality like of the audi unit (i like my quality audio lol)

The standard sound system even with the factory sub is a bit crap.

I replaced the head unit with an alpine one and replaced all the speakers and fitted a sub in the boot and a couple of amps a week after getting the car.

If you like listening to your music then you will have to change thec standard stuff.

Or just try and find one with the Bose stereo, or get one off ebay

right its looking like the freelander will be going and the A3 coming. Are the dealers the best bet considering I want to p/x? Anywhere recomended around Bedfordshire/Cardiff?

i fitted an after market unit and it cost bout 30-50 quid for the bits to make it fit and i think it looks fine, i'l post a pic later if you want, i had it fitted by uplands or sextons, i forget which.........i had a amp and 12" sub fitted too and its a lovely sound system, standard audi speakers are great in my opinion.

ooo yes please! :D

btw anyone want to swap an 03 freebie for a 1.8T sport ;)

what are the A3s like round a track? Do they live up to the sporty image say compared to a MKIV Golf GTi, Focus ST170 etc ??

I Bought an A3 1.8T Quattro Sport just over a week ago, 52 plate with 25k on the clock for £8995 from an Audi dealership in Edinburgh. Can honestly say the best car I have ever driven. Yeah the car weighs the equivalent of a small elephant but it drives like a dream and feels like its going round corners on rails!! I have'nt had it remapped yet but Star Performance will be getting a visit in the near future. The petrol costs where a concern for me as well but got 330 miles out of 4/5 of tank last week but on an average week I only travel 80 miles so not too worried about that cost.

Looking to do some cosmetic changes to engine bay and have scoured the internet for parts and fitting services. Can anyone suggest a garage in central scotland that could do the work?? Looking to change the ignition leads, spark plugs, engine cover and airbox cover, panel filter, cooling system etc. Cant do the work myself as would completely shag it up!! So, anyone suggest parts and labour??

I've had my 2001 A3 QT for 2-days...... The smile has not left my face yet....

Woooooooooo-weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Love-it!

lol, i'm gonna miss mine. Gonna get it serviced now and its going up for sale. £6500. should be in classifieds on yer and pistons heads if anyone wants it. I'm buying a house, wont make me smile so much but i'm trying to be a responsible adult :bye:

i think youd be lucky to get that much for it mate, if its a 2000 with a ko3, id guess its pre facelift? is so, i wouldnt expect to see any more than 5k for it im afraid!