quick brake caliper question.

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
If i remove my caliper from the car, i.e disconnect the brake line, when i refit it would it be ok to just flush that particular caliper to get it working again.

or will i get air in there that i wont be able to remove. Of course i would have to stop the rest of the system emptying whilst i work on the caliper.

Cheers.

And have heard of alot of people getting air trapped in the ABS system which can be fun to get out, so be careful.

Ensure you disconnect the battery before removing the caliper.

inigoj said:

Why?

I've never done that, ever.

If you have rubber flexys on, you could use a hose clamp to stop all the fluid draining out, and air getting into the ABS pump.
If you have steel braided flexys on, you're going to have to use a pressure bleeder to try to avoid getting air trapped in the ABS pump, or cycle the ABS pump using VAG Com or similar.

Personally, if I'm doing any work on the brakes, I'll flush the fluid through each calliper at the end of the job...fresh fluid is always good!

inigoj said:

never done that either?!?

would suggest that before reconnecting to the caliper bleed the hose...and then bleed the caliper.

Just clamp the hose with a brake pipe clamp..
11534.jpg

Or a pair of mole grips with something around the pipe so as not to damage it. and when you reconnect the caliper just bleed it and job's a good un

I do not like using hose clamps, so disconnecting the battery ensures that air will not enter the ABS pump.