Painted Calipers + Logo's

jm-baker

Reaction score
:icon_thumright: Looks great mate, keep saying I'm gonna do mine but never seem to get round to it! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the decals?

Looking good mate. Thinking of doing the same on mine. Ive only got a standard 1.8 audi a3 so dont need "alot" of stopping power. So due too the budget I just wana improve the standard brakes with some new pads and discs. What paint did you use and where did you get those logos from? :uhm:

The calipers dont get "that" hot unless you're into really heavy braking. I spy a tub of Halfords copper ease there too

and box section to prop it up

bouncer--daz said:
wouldnt the heat make them peal off though?:uhm:

According the the info on the ebay auction the vinyl decals are heat resistant to temperatures to over 300 degrees C with a lifetime guarantee, up to you wether to beleive it or not. Personally I'd like to speak to someone thats had them on for a while, but like A4Quattro says the calipers don't normally get that hot in "normal" use.

The Decals were off Ebay a few months back, they are good quality and seem to have stuck well.

Paint is from halfords (as is the copper grease spotted!) its high temp black gloss enammel paint.

Doesn't take long to do, as always the prep work takes the longest.

I removed the calipers, took the pads out, went over it all with a wire bush drill bit, then a hand wire brush for the fiddly bits. Followed by some de-greaser and brake cleaner to finish.

By doing both side's at once it only took few hours all in. Well worth it tho! They really do look good when you catch a glimpse of the logo.

James

They look amazing! Well done like it alot, done the rears? :)

Jampublic said:
They look amazing! Well done like it alot, done the rears? :)
I will 2nd that.... looks the mutts nutts and its definately on my to do list.... fair play I hate www.audi-sport.net .... since joining my life has been taken over by tasteful modifications that I keep finding to do.... loving every minute of it though!:icon_thumright:

Thanx for all the feedback guys!

No i havent painted the rears yet, not sure if i will put logo's on them as well.....?

I was thinking of putting some bigger disc's on the rears, purely for looks as i think they are a bit small.

The Tarox kix seems a bit expensive for what it is, i guess the disc's are specials, as the contact area seems small for the overall diameter of the disc, ruling out the use of black diamond disc's with the mounting blocks from the kit for example...

http://www.amdtechnik.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=877&VariantID=41&ReferenceID=5400

Something to think about...

James

i used brake cleaner to get the paint of my hands....a little cold but it works a treat.

Painted mine the same about 1 week ago, did the rears too....look awesome, guy in the audi showroom even thought they were genuine.... he didn't realise the 8L had different brakes to the newer one.

fitted new grooved discs and mintex xtreme pads, stopping is improved dramatically, love the rumbling sound of the grooves....pedal still feels like **** though.

Done my brakes red with silver audi logo decals on mine jetwashed the car and 1 of the buggers has came off am well cheesed off and I didnt get a spare logo decal! I used good old hammerite lol!:mad:

Thats what ive used... (hammerite) the finish quality is good... looks alot better through my alloys... but being black its nice and subtle.... cleans up the look. Didnt wana go red...that draws attention to my rather small breaks:3sadwalk: and for a total of £6.25 including a paint brush... BARGIN!:icon_thumright: Especially when you can pay up too £20 for heat resistant spray paints.

mrj0ey said:
i used brake cleaner to get the paint of my hands....a little cold but it works a treat.

Painted mine the same about 1 week ago, did the rears too....look awesome, guy in the audi showroom even thought they were genuine.... he didn't realise the 8L had different brakes to the newer one.

fitted new grooved discs and mintex xtreme pads, stopping is improved dramatically, love the rumbling sound of the grooves....pedal still feels like **** though.
Do you think its worth buying drilled and grooved discs... or just grooved?:think:

bouncer--daz said:
Do you think its worth buying drilled and grooved discs... or just grooved?:think:

Grooved only.
Drilled will crack.
Even those from the few makers who actually design their discs to be drilled, and hence add strong points especially for the drillings, end up cracking...Porsche for example.

Grooved discs work...they are noisier, but they do have a bit more bite.

jm-baker said:
I was thinking of putting some bigger disc's on the rears, purely for looks as i think they are a bit small.

Why would you want to put bigger discs on the rear? Purely for looks?

It'll risk screwing your brake balance up, making your ABS kick in to prevent rear end lock up under heavy braking.