camshaft posistion actuator

Effect

Reaction score
Is this a common failure on VAG 1.8T engines.

had ECU read and it bought up 2 errors one i think was almost definitly caused by the other.

actual fault was camshaft position(CMP), intake/left/front, bank 1 - timing over retarded.

I rang VW and asked for a price for a part he said it was called a 'Hall' sensor by audi and it was about £75

Do you guys think it will sort the problem i dont fancy shelling out that much cash being as i have only had the ****** car 2 months.

Its a very funny one to go. I dont think its a common problem.

The hall sensor is a non-contact feedback sensor to report camshaft position, its not the actuator that moves cam timing.

What was the other fault?

I would def do more digging before shelling out on that. Chances are the fault is reported by that sensor - not caused by it.

I had a fault with my hall sensor on my AEB, it turned out to be poor cam timing that caused the code. I dont suppose you have recently had the TBelt done or some head work have you?

ok well the car seem to run fine now if that makes any odds at all

the other fault was something to do with exhaust gas tempearature on bank1 (would be off due to retarded timing)

the fault has been cutting in intermittantly and initially did cut the engine completely every 10 seconds whilst driving (fine next day though)

I've had a fault on the Camshaft sensor, but this happened at the same time as other problems - so I cannot say how the car would run with this fault.

I have had so many points of view on this now I have absolutely no idea what might actually be wrong with it.

16936 - Camshaft posistion (CMP), intake/left/front, bank 1 - timing over retarded (probable cause - Valve timing, camshaft posistion(CMP) actuator)

17863 - Exhaust gas recirculation temperature (EGRT) sensor 1/bank 1 - range/performance problem (probably cause - Exhaust leak, wiring, EGRT sensor)

now make of those what you will

and als can anyone tell me where the EGRT valve is located in the engine bay so we can have a look at that also.

Thanks
James

EGR valve is a black thing thats connected between the camcover breather hose and Turbo inlet pipe, it looks similar to a DV actually, without the vacuum part on top.