facelift lights back to prefacelift

dantheman1986

Reaction score
im wanting to fit facelift lights to my prefaclift a3 but will i be able to revert back to prefacelift lights after the wing has bee cut, just incase i wanted to go back?

dantheman1986 said:
so the bit of wing thats cut of isnt need to mount the indicator to or anything? and yes i mean the fronts

Oh my bad, I read wires and not wing,.... yea, you will have a small gap in your wing, why would you want to revert back after the converion anyways?

Most of the socket for the indicators should still be intact after trimming the wing, so your old lights should still fit ok.

the reason i ask is becasue im fitting a pair of facelift xenons and incase the light pattern is blinding other drivers or i get pulled by the poilce or it fails the mot, i want to be able to revert back to my old lights.

dantheman1986 said:
the reason i ask is becasue im fitting a pair of facelift xenons and incase the light pattern is blinding other drivers or i get pulled by the poilce or it fails the mot, I want to be able to revert back to my old lights.

I see where you are coming from, the proper and legal way for UK use is to half self adjusters which are connected to the fron and rear suspension arms and washer jets that operate with windscreen washers when your lights are on. It will definitely fail the MOT without the washer and adjusters, but nothing to stop you from going back to standard for MOT and back to facelift afterwoods, if you can be bothered. I doubt you will get much hassle from blinding oncoming traffic and the local plod, so many defective cars driving around with dazzling lights these days anyways, don't see them do much about that!

If you fit facelift halogen projectors and an HID kit, you can just swap to a normal bulb at MOT time.

If you are fitting OEM xenon enclosures, it will be more difficult.

It also wont fail the mot, never heard of anybody failing because of it - but anyway it should be possible just to put the originals back in, as its the small plastic clips that hold them in, attached to the rails on the main headlight unit - rather than the bits of wing - i can imagine they might be slightly rattly tho, not such a worry if its only for a day or two.

rodenal said:
It also wont fail the mot, never heard of anybody failing because of it - but anyway it should be possible just to put the originals back in, as its the small plastic clips that hold them in, attached to the rails on the main headlight unit - rather than the bits of wing - i can imagine they might be slightly rattly tho, not such a worry if its only for a day or two.

If it doesn't fail the MOT with the xenons fitted, then the MOT tester isn't doing their job properly!

dantheman1986 said:
the reason i ask is becasue im fitting a pair of facelift xenons and incase the light pattern is blinding other drivers or i get pulled by the poilce or it fails the mot, i want to be able to revert back to my old lights.

Good to see this kind of thinking

silver75 said:
Good to see this kind of thinking

well i hate being dazzelled by oncoming traffic so i wouldnt want to be driving around dazzeing other drivers myself.

also ive been to a couple of garages today reguarding the headlight washer situation and they said there is nothing to say you have to have them, all they have to test for is defective light patters so that they are not blinding other traffic