boot struts

cg

Reaction score
the hydrolic struts that open my boot are a little week. they open it half way but the rest of the way they need a little push. is this the same with anyone else or is it just me.
if it is just me then how do i replace them. i have had a look and it looks like i need to take off a cover on the bottom but before i reck my car a little advice would be loveley. has anyone replaced theirs. thanks for the help

They are easy to change, just a clip at both end if the strut, i changed mine for mk4 golf gti stainless one, They seem to work loads better.

I'm also interested in some. My rears are shot. Where can these be purchased from? Group buy?

Yeah, mine are a bit weak and could do with replacing too.

sounds like a common problem. does anyone know where to get them from

I have seen these on ebay, mine are a little weak as well!

Hmm, that might explain why the auto boot opening function button on the keyfob doesn't work too well. Seem to recall reading something that the S3 is supposed to have uprated struts so that when the keyfob is pressed, the solenoid pings the boot off the catch and the pressure in the struts opens the boot?? Or am I just imagining things?

Mine seems okay, just open the boot one tap up and the boot opens fully!!!

Guys, none of your boot struts are broken by the sounds of it.

I'm also betting that you all have facelift 8L's too.

Part of the facelift process was to install "two stage" gas struts, which only go so far up automatically. The "second stage" requires them to be manually pushed up so that the boot is open to it's maximum.

I only found out as i had a set replaced under warranty, only for them to be exactly the same!! The dealer did some digging around and found out that they were two stage struts!! I checked the list of facelift items, and there it was..

personally, i think they're rubbish, but they apparently help short people close the boot ;)

jcs356 said:
Hmm, that might explain why the auto boot opening function button on the keyfob doesn't work too well. Seem to recall reading something that the S3 is supposed to have uprated struts so that when the keyfob is pressed, the solenoid pings the boot off the catch and the pressure in the struts opens the boot?? Or am I just imagining things?

the keyfob only pops the hatch, it shouldn't raise the boot as well.

madvw said:
personally, i think they're rubbish, but they apparently help short people close the boot ;)

Think i'll leave it be seeing as I'm only 5ft 1

Damn short people! What about us normal sized people that keep bumping our heads on these low-flying bootlids :(

batwad said:
Damn short people! What about us normal sized people that keep bumping our heads on these low-flying bootlids :(

that was my argument to the dealer! the amount of time i've almost headbutted the boot latch isn't funny - and i'm not exactly tall either. I suppose the answer may be to retro-fit non facelift boot lifters.

no offence but how short would you have to be to not be able to reach the boot. if your that short you shouldnt be driving.
so because i'm normal i will have to get some non facelift boot struts. perhaps i can find a midget in a nonfacelift model and do a swap

cg said:
no offence but how short would you have to be to not be able to reach the boot. if your that short you shouldnt be driving.
so because i'm normal i will have to get some non facelift boot struts. perhaps i can find a midget in a nonfacelift model and do a swap

No offense taken. Why should'nt I be driving? my feet touch the pedals...just - I carry a wooden box in the boot which I pull out to aid me shutting the boot lid.

Aky said:
No offense taken. Why should'nt I be driving? my feet touch the pedals...just - I carry a wooden box in the boot which I pull out to aid me shutting the boot lid.

but where do u put the box after u shut the boot? :uhm:

batwad said:

I am just over 6ft and done this several times! The black boot lid is sort of out of your kine of site and you dont see it as you lean forward!

Audi should have left it stock and provided "miracle shoes" for drivers of the Tom Cruise type!

does anyone know if pre facelift struts fit the post facelift. i would have expected them to fit but you know what things like this are like.