What Octane fuel for S3

S3 NIK

Reaction score
As title what fuel are you supposed to use in an S3 (my00 210bhp).
Reason i ask is i use Tesco's super unleaded and a guy i work with uses normal unleaded in his 225 TT.
Am i wasting my money?
Nik.

It says in my hand book to use super unleaded of 98ron and above.
t goes on to say if you use lower grade fuel you will experiance slight power loss and you should not cane the car too much with this fuel. (or words to that effect!)
all in all the better octaine the rating of the fuel the more power you can achive from it.
BP sell 102ron fuel for ~£2.50 / litre this will make your car go better but will also empty your wallett much sooner!

It is 97 ron or higher, will run on 95 ron but the ignition will be retarded slightly to avoid knocking. So you will be a bit down on power.

IMO if you can't afford the fuel, don't buy the car.

Reactions: PantherS3
I wouldnt try the 102 octane on standard I'm pretty sure somethings gotta be done to the engine to be able to use that fuel.

TheSpaceCowboy said:
I wouldnt try the 102 octane on standard I'm pretty sure somethings gotta be done to the engine to be able to use that fuel.

set your revo module to warp factor ten

In both our cases its nothing to do with the ability to afford the fuel, in my collegues case i think its just ignorance to the benefits of higher octane fuel and engine requirements.

From my point of view, my previous car was an Impreza STI PPP which needed 98ron min and therefore was pretty much limited to Shell Vpower(didn't go a bundle on BP Ultimate) so putting Tesco's Super in saves me cash anyway, not to mention far better ecomony.

I do agree however that its pointless buying a performance car and not fuelling it accordingly because of insufficient finances.

Nik.

jcs356 said:
It is 97 ron or higher, will run on 95 ron but the ignition will be retarded slightly to avoid knocking. So you will be a bit down on power.

IMO if you can't afford the fuel, don't buy the car.

ChriS3 said:
V-Power and a bottle of Millers = 101 Octane fuel = big smiles

This has been suggested to me!

I am guessing it works a treat then! :)

Yeah, Millers octane booster. It bumps up your octane level by two and helps to advance the timing. I use it with V-power as that is the best for keeping the engine clean.

read an article in evo magazine yesterday concerning fuel. tested bp ultimate,sunoco gt race fuel, tesco 99 and shell optimax.what supprised me was looking at the power graph optimax came in fourth with bp ultimate only just behind the race fuel in first

I dont understand why anybody would pay the price bp want for their fuel, at least here in scotland each equivalent fuel is as much as 3p a litre more than everywhere else

Round here we have 99ron Tesco Super unleaded which is nice, it did well in the EVO tests a few months back against all the other 97+ fuels.

and i have used it in a Cayenne S, an 05 R32, UK300 imprezza, and my 3.0V6 omega and now the S3 with great effects.

The S3 had 55 in it when i picked it up :rtfm: GRRRR and when I refueled with 99 the difference a few miles later was noticeable, not like light on light iff but it was noticable

I love my S3 :hubbahubba:

I use 95 RON and have no problems. Ive tried the others and cant notice ant difference.

Also I dont know what handbook you guys are reading but mine says 95RON.

mad max said:
read an article in evo magazine yesterday concerning fuel. tested bp ultimate,sunoco gt race fuel, tesco 99 and shell optimax.what supprised me was looking at the power graph optimax came in fourth with bp ultimate only just behind the race fuel in first

It's funny how an 'Advertisment Feature' for BP Ultimate comes out top...IIRC Evo did one on Optimax a while back about the cleaniness of it's fuel compared to others and low and behold Optimax came out top.

On a side, Millers; do you have to run a remap to get best use or can a stock car be okay?

Look on the inside of the petrol cap, it states the tyre pressures and the recommended fuel... in my case its the 97/98 RON super unleaded fuel!

steve123a said:
Look on the inside of the petrol cap, it states the tyre pressures and the recommended fuel... in my case its the 97/98 RON super unleaded fuel!

My S3 must be super special. It can run on 95RON!

Everyone else on here has a manual or fuel cap that says 97/98. I feel so lucky when my manual and fuel cap say 95RON.

hmmm my cap says 95/97 ron, and my engine is the AMK

Just checked mine and it says 98/95 ron so i'm guessing Audi are suggesting 98 is best which makes sense but 95 is ok.
Nik.

WKDLAD said:
hmmm my cap says 95/97 ron, and my engine is the AMK

If your car is chipped you should have been told what RON should be used at the time of chipping. For example I have an APR 98 RON program with timing advanced specifically for 98. I was also told by APR that if I was to use 95 RON I should be extremely cautious of pre-ignition, ie drive conservatively, or better still switch to the APR 95 RON program (which I can do using the cruise controls). Using a higher octane fuel than 98 RON with the 98 RON program is a waste of money unless you use software such as APR's V-Tune to advance the timing.

Well normally I am a BP Ultimate user, but after talking to friends and reading this tread I have decided to try something different. So after a friend gave me a can of Fuchs Pro Boost, atthe weekend i was straight down to Shell for a tank of V-power. Now according to people i should be able to feel a change on my second tank fuel, but already the car seems to like the mixture and is running well. :)

I have been running Optimax and Pro Boost for just 6 days. I managed 285miles, before having fill up this morning. The engine does seem to like it and seems to be running smoother than normal, ie not sounding as much like a bag of bolts! lol

I have half filled my tank this morning and will add the Pro Boost this evening and fill up tomorrow morning to get a good mixture in the tank. Will see if it makes any difference on the 2nd tank full. :ermm:

May not interest anyone, but thought i would mention it.

Enjoy

I noticed a big difference, used tesco fuel then switched to Shell 95 and got 340~ miles out of a tank. Gonna try V-Power next and see if my A3 enjoys 97 octane more.

Question: Running Pro Boost at the moment and car is going in for an MOT tomorrow, do you think it might effect the cars emissions? Probably nothing to worry about, just a thought.

Thanks

The answer is no, it passed the MOT no problems, even with german plates on too! :uhm: