Votes: 23 12.6%
  • Other Super Unleaded's

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Normal Unleaded

Votes: 26 14.2%

• Total voters

jitvv

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Before I get shot down with this has been covered before/do a search I’ve done a search and could not find a Poll run on the subject.

Right here goes since I’ve owned my S3 1 year 6 months, I’ve always run it on Optimax then V Power when the name changed. 2 weeks ago I thought I’d give BP Ultimate a try, 2 tank full’s so far. I am quite impressed with the Mid range pull especially with the warmer weather we’ve had lately. I’ve not seen any drop in performance but seems torquier in the mid range??, not sure if the top end pull is not as strong though. Wanted to see if you guys have noticed any difference between fuels and which one Audi drivers prefer.:icon_thumright:

Thanks.

V-power for the car, redbull for me.

Think BP have a bit of a dodgy reputation.....seconds from disaster anyone see that episode?

ChriS3 said:
V-Power and a bottle of Millers for me.

where do you get your millers from, and does it make a difference on the BT or a standard or remapped s3 for that matter?

I've used BP a couple of times and I don't find it as good as V Power. The car seems to hesitate a little and there seems to be a loss of power.

Only ever used V-power since i've had it, not sure on other companys. Hear a few bad stories about everyone else.

nky_84 said:
where do you get your millers from, and does it make a difference on the BT or a standard or remapped s3 for that matter?

I get it in boxes of 10 from Star. If i use 10 bottles, then that's about 3000 miles and time to go back down there for another service. Works out well.

The millers takes the octane rating up to about 102, so the car can advance the timing some more. Not sure if I can notice the difference, but I've never run the BT without it. You can certainly see the difference in VAG-COM.

jitvv said:
Hi Guys, Before I get shot down with this has been covered before/do a search I’ve done a search and could not find a Poll run on the subject.

Right here goes since I’ve owned my S3 1 year 6 months, I’ve always run it on Optimax then V Power when the name changed. 2 weeks ago I thought I’d give BP Ultimate a try, 2 tank full’s so far. I am quite impressed with the Mid range pull especially with the warmer weather we’ve had lately. I’ve not seen any drop in performance but seems torquier in the mid range??, not sure if the top end pull is not as strong though. Wanted to see if you guys have noticed any difference between fuels and which one Audi drivers prefer.:icon_thumright:

Thanks.

Yup, I've noticed the same, but I would say V-power is better for top end, so stick the BP stuff in for town driving, and V-power for long distance runs, as it's definitely better for topend... Tesco's 99Ron is also like rocket fuel, but on a RR run, there was no performance gains... so you make your choices. :racer:

Since my car was remapped I use nothing but VPower as recommended by Jabba - no other fuels match up.

ive only ever run my car on V-power sinse christmas, and sinse it was remapped 2 weeks ago.....

today, i was going on an 80mile round trip, and i was unable to get to a shell station on the fuel i had left, so i filled up with £15 of essos supreme 97, for the first time in 4 months.

the car still drives OK, but im sure power is slightly down, and its DEFINATELY a lot rougher, it comes on and off power in a much more jerky manner, and generally isnt as nice! ill be heading back to my local shell garage tomorow morning!!!!

Aky said:
I've used BP a couple of times and I don't find it as good as V Power. The car seems to hesitate a little and there seems to be a loss of power.

I have to agree with the above. I found that it hesitated as well, so how to run down that poisonous fuel and put tha v-power back into my baby!! Much better!!

I use V power and can get an extra 100 miles out of a tank on a long run. Also signed up to shell pluspoints and i am now in the V power club. if you save up enough points you can do track days and stuff. I use alot of fuel so i atleast i get some reward for it

I use Esso supreme or BP ultimate as there's no Shell garage in my town, nearest is about 15miles away, filled up with V-Power yesterday and you do notice the difference definetly, i really like it, just wonder whether its worth travelling the extra distance??

New tescos opens in two weeks so i'll definetly be trying out the new 99RON fuel they do as hopefully it'l be quite cheap too!

Was using tesco cause i'm poor but then changed to V-power and noticed the difference but if i fill up with BP ultimate i can get 30 miles more out a full tank

Anyone done any experiments logging the angle of ****** on the knock control blocks in vagcom while using different fuels? It's something I am about to start, but I'm sure I'm not the first tio think of this.

My car had a custom map while runningon Tecso 99ron fuel. I plan to try Tesco 99, V-Power and BP Ultimate and if I have any retarding on Tesco 99 or V-Power I might even have a laugh and try BP 102, just the once.

M44 DUB said:
Was using tesco cause i'm poor but then changed to V-power and noticed the difference but if i fill up with BP ultimate i can get 30 miles more out a full tank

I don't see the Tesco as the 'poor mans choice' !

In fact I've seen a test before where it out performed both BP Ultimate & Shell Optimax

V- Power most times or BP Ultimate.
Dont really think about it to be honest. definetly dont do any other brand.
been using ti for about a year now cant see myself using any thing else

have used bp ultimate since i bought the car back in nov. very pleased with it...to be honest only used v-power twice and didn't really notice any difference apart from it being drunk a lot quicker and being slightyly more expensive.
So for now i'll stick with what works for me and thTS BP ULTIMATE.
Might have to use v-power for a couple of fill up's back to back to see if it works better.

I use normal 95 RON. Ive tried the others and cant notice the difference to be honest.

i use BP ultimate in my S3 i did fill up with V-power the other week couldn't notice much difference other than i whipped the *** of 330Ci BMW on the way to alton towers and a poor little VR6 wasn't doing half bad either!
i used BP ultimate in my remapped A4 TDi and really did notice the difference.
has anyone seen the BP roadshow??(not blue peter!) they show a new Audi A8 4.2 V8 and fit cameras looking at the inlet vlaves, 4cylinders run on normal unleaded - BLACK then the other 4 run on BP Ultimate! looks brand new very cleaver! does work deffinately!
i saw it at the goodwood festival of speed last year if you see the big green truck take a look!

V-Power always, can certainly tell the difference between it and other brands, was in the UK for two weeks and tried a bit of Morrisons, the car didnt seem to like it however...

Planning on returning to the UK in a couple of months to live, not looking forward to paying UK Petrol/Beer prices...

ChriS3 said:
I get it in boxes of 10 from Star. If i use 10 bottles, then that's about 3000 miles and time to go back down there for another service. Works out well.

The millers takes the octane rating up to about 102, so the car can advance the timing some more. Not sure if I can notice the difference, but I've never run the BT without it. You can certainly see the difference in VAG-COM.

How are you guaging the results in VAGCOM? Looking at the Knock Sensor blocks for the angle of retardation?

What do you typically see running just on V-Power? Are you getting retardation all the way accross the rev range or just some here and there? How many degrees?

Do you eliminate ALL retardation by adding the ocatane booster intot the mix?

I use Texaco normal unleaded. Its convenient for me, as its on the way to work (otherwise I have to de-tour to Tesco and I can't be bothered). Other garages i.e BP/Shell are on the services.

Normal service resumed, running V power again!! Car feels a lot strong higher up the rev range, but to be honest can not gauge accurately the difference as the weather has changed etc. but I’m sticking with V power from now on.

Well I used to give my A3 Optimax for a while before we got V-Power; but then I really thought about the fact my engine wouldn't know the difference so I just started to put normal Shell stuff in; I got a V-Power club card though - I think because I was still going through enough standard stuff to rack up the points :) I'm still racking them up with the new bus, but I'm on the dark side burning oil these days :faint: Musn't grumble though... 600 miles to a tank with a mixture of 90 (kmh!) Motorway cruising and a few A-road miles is handy :racer:

I only wanted to post really because I saw somethin that properly tickled me yesterday... I was at a Shell station down in Wales filling up for the drive back north last night and I noticed that there was a woman on the adjacent pump putting V-Power in a bit of a banger of a Renault Scenic! Ferrari fuel for the road all the way!

Regards,

Rob.

Im running a 1.8T A4 and I only run fuel from my local Shell as cheaper supermarket stuff tends to give me less miles and way less power, but I must admit not tryin Tesco 99RON. Ive tried BP but find they are more expensive than Shell in my town and the performance levels between V Power and Ultimate is slightly noticeable with the car being more responsive and more efficient fuel wise with V-Power.

I also noticed when heading to work at 4:30am when no one is on the roads my car averages 37-42mpg and on the way home during the afternoon it only averages 25-31mpg in traffic, but we can only dream of the roads being empty during day time hours.

had to use bp ultimate this week as v-power stocks are empty for the time being

driving like a granny and averaging 31.2mpg so far so all is good

that's from the normal driving on v-power @ 28 mpg

drew