2001 Airbag Q

mtaylor55

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought a 2001 A3 1.8T Quattro Sport that has been accident damaged.
Both airbags (steering wheel and passeger side) have operated and need to be replaced.
I note on ebay there is a guy selling some from a 1999 model, along with the seat belt tensioners.
Will these items from a 1999 car fit my 2001(facelift).
If not, where should I get replacements from? Are they dealer only?
Thanks

hi i bought both air bags tensoiners and control module form german recycled in lieghton buzzard £150 all in the guy there clive is sound
you might need a new passenger side air bag cover as they bend a bit after the bags have gone off
I'd run vag com first as i bought the bags etc only to find that the rear passanger belt also needed changing

buy they way facelift ones are difernt also good luck finding parts rfacelift stuff is rellya hard to find i've just done a 2003 tdi never again

Can't wait to get it fixed and get driving it.
Do you have a number for German Recyled? Tried a google search but couldn't find anything.

not bad very light has it done the inner wing
where ws it from ? universal?
mine was a bit heavier stands me at just over 5k finished buts its a 2003 tdi sport
a3front.jpg

The dash bag should be the same but the steering wheel bag will be different due to the chrome ring. Seat belts do go as well which is normal. The ecu is a 50/50 whether it needs changing or not.
I have a pair of rear belts if you need them later.

Thanks. ECU ? Whadya mean Does the airbag system have an ECU?
Car was bought from www.nsaa.co.uk, and cost me £2200. I reckon £1500 should fix it.

Ye sthe airbags have an ecu too. Its located on the trnasmission tunnel under the blower unit. if it is replaced then it 'might' need coding to your vehicle.

The damage doesnt 'look' too bad. Keep your eyes open on ebay as valualble parts come up sometimes for peanuts.
Dont buy airbags from the dealer as they damn expensive. Try airbagsforsale.com