APR or AMD???

JamS3

Reaction score
Can anyone give advice re the above chips and how they perform on the S3? Iv'e had my car about 4 months now and although i'm more than happy with the performance i'm getting itchy to chip it!

What i'm mainly looking for is a nice torque figure/curve, they both appear to give similar power figures looking at the dynoplots on their respective web pages. What i like about the standard s3 is that the main boost is rises from early on low down in the rev band and then stays constant to about 5000rpm. This is what i want from my chip, the AMD torque curve rises quite agressivly and drops down fairly quickly (lot earlier than 5000rpm) where as the APR peaks at about 4500rpm. I don't want to be revving the ar*e off my car to get somewhere!

Can anyone comment who has had experience of these chips in their s3 and which one they belive would be the better one for a torque lover!!!

M8,

to be honest, i think the BEST way to see is to drive cars with both chips, and make your own mind up.

Rich

I wonder how long it will take before this thread deteriates into a pi$$ing contest like all the others before!!

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
I would consider going to who ever is more local.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't think you need to be worried about locality to be honest, not when we are just talking about chips...all of these dealers have sold hundreds/thousands of chips and the likelyhood of anything going wrong is extremely low IMO. I had my car chipped by RSD in the UK, and had no doubt about it or regrets since, I was going to have an Oettinger chip and I was in the UK at the time.

However if I was going for more dramatic tuning then I would definately be looking at somone local for support reasons.

I think the Christmas meet will definately be the best opportunity to make your minds up.
I have MTM fitted to my car, but cant compare it to anything else as I havnt had the chance. I'm hoping there will be a few road tests on the go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
If anyone wants to feel how aggressive the MTM chip is I'll gladly oblige /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
Personally I love the power delivery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Didn't realise you had yours done in the UK!!!
I saw Danny at the weekend, you do realsie Trish and him got married Friday don't you?
They were at Audi International at the weekend!

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
Didn't realise you had yours done in the UK!!!
I saw Danny at the weekend, you do realsie Trish and him got married Friday don't you?
They were at Audi International at the weekend!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I really was set on having it done before GTI-I and because the Dutch dealer is both crap and the guy for soldering was ill when I was supposed to get it chipped and then catch the ferry...so instead a call to RSD and I was sorted.

So Danny and Trish got married, well I'll give them a call to congratulate them on getting hitched and rid of BS Tony.

Got a lot of respect for them both.