Good deal?

Ed

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an audi this weekend.
I have the funds ready but I'm really unsure whether its a good deal and would appreciate you opinions :)

Its an ex lease car being sold off - 2001 (51 plate) Audi A3 1.6 Sport 3 door - 31,000 miles on the clock, standard interior (not leather). Looks to be in good nick, there was a scuff on front and back bumper and a bald tyre, which were all replaced for me in anticipation for buying the car. A few very minor chips here and there but nothing noticable.
Seller is asking for £6750 and says he can't go any lower.
I thought this was an ok price but when I see this things like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-Audi-A3-Sport-Merlin-Purple-Full-Leather-1-6_W0QQitemZ270032645086QQihZ017QQcategoryZ9835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem it makes think twice :(

Seems about right to me. He got the tyre changed because it is illegal and dangerous not in anticipation of you buying the car.

A bit of bartering is part of the fun. I always allow a bit of movement when I sell a car. Tell the seller you have seen another newer one for less but you prefer his colour. Tell him your offer and let him think about it just be polite and no silly offers. If he wants to sell he will get back to you as the chances are that another buyer wants to knock a bit off the price. If not there are plenty more out there. If you really want it and can't wait buy it for the sake of a few hundred pounds. Definately get the seller to fill it up.

Don't go there with Ebay.

Good luck!

almost 7k seems a lot of money for a 1.6 8L. What options does it have? private or dealer? franchise? franchise warranty?

for that kind of money i'd be expecting a nice 1.8T.

Seems fairly standard - not many extras. No CD player but they seems fairly cheap to buy.
It has AC/Climate control/electric windows - only extras as far as I know (apart from the extras that come with the Sport pack), tbh I'm not sure what optional extras are available on this model.

I have to admit I did fall in love with this car when I saw it.
Maybe I'm just getting nervous as it gets closer to the buy time.

Yeah insurance, its my second car and I only have 1 years no claims.
I'm 19 and my current insurers won't insure anyone under 21 on the 1.8 turbo. Its a shame, otherwise I would probably go for the 1.8T :(

If you have 7k to spend I think you should go for a car with warranty and at least a Aircon, remote locking and CD player.

Ed said:
Yeah insurance, its my second car and I only have 1 years no claims.
I'm 19 and my current insurers won't insure anyone under 21 on the 1.8 turbo. Its a shame, otherwise I would probably go for the 1.8T :(

Plenty of people under 21 insure the 1.8T on here.

The A3 is a nice looking car but the 1.6 is utterly gutless.

At 19 i'd be wanting something quick AND insurable. I'm not knocking you for wanting a decent marque but being a teenager for me was about driving cheap fast cars and I learnt a lot doing so; like how not to drive, how to fix my own car, never to buy something french ever again...

I'll probably get flamed for this but don't be old before your time!

If insurance is a problem, hold off until you can affrod to run and insure the car you really want.
I have to agree it seems a lot for a 1.6, they are fine, but hardly dazzling and to be fair 6750 is a fair wedge of cash for any 1.6 second hand hatch.
Just look at what sort of a golf you can buy for that cash.......? Same platform, more to chose from, and you could get a PD 115 or even possibly a 130 for that money?
Have a rethink and be sure you want this particualr one, nto just the first one you've seen up close. It does nto really seem that much od a deal to me, and ex lease cars usually are!!

good luck

silver75 said:
If you have 7k to spend I think you should go for a car with warranty and at least a Aircon, remote locking and CD player.

It does have aircon and remote locking.

I do see what you mean Tallpaul, I've have a '94 VW polo for 2 years now and tbh I'm going to be so glad to see the back of it, even though it's been good fun, every week was a different problem :(

Now I have money to spend and my polo is on its last legs I feel its time to buy a reliable and comfortable car (as I'm in my car for 2 hours everyday to and from work), and one thats going to last for a few years :p

Ed said:
Now I have money to spend and my polo is on its last legs I feel its time to buy a reliable and comfortable car (as I'm in my car for 2 hours everyday to and from work), and one thats going to last for a few years :p

If you're spending 7k for a car to last you a few years then i wouldn't go for a 1.6.

You can buy an A3 1.8T, Golf GTI, Leon Cupra for 5 - 6k for a very good example, spend that extra grand on your insurance and tidying up the couple of little niggles it'll inevitably have. This'll give you a car that'll still give you a grin in years to come once the novelty of it not being a clapped out Polo has worn off.

Plus they can be modified which, if you hang around sites like this for too long, you'll be wanting to do sooner rather than later :)

I ended up buying the car for 6500 with a full tank of petrol lol

I'm absolutely loving it, looks gorgeous and is really comfy to drive!

i'm 19 curently own a rover 200 with a 2.0 turbo conversion which is currently up for sale, it is quick as but running it is a nightmare becos petrol doesnt last 2 minutes, so the next car i am going to own is an a3 tdi 130, i have liked a3's for ages now and ive always said i wouldnt mind one so instead of putting every last penny into my car am going to spend the extra bit of money buying an a3 as the dervs i hear are really good??

hope you like your new car mate carnt wait to get mine

Nice Car, was after mine in silver but got a black one again. Get yourself some new 17" or 18" alloys and debadge it and it will look better.