My AMD Dyno Results and Pics/Video

Tallpaul

Reaction score
I attended the AMD Rolling Road day and my A3 1.8T Sport made 192bhp and 218lb/ft.

All in all i'm happy with the result. I'm reasonably confident of the accuracy of the result as a completely stock A3 1.8TQ made 182bhp which is right on the money.

The shape of the curves are smooth and she's still pulling nearly 200lb/ft at 5000rpm which is very good indeed. I'll post them later when i get my scanner sorted.

For now here are some pics and a video of my power run :) :

The Dyno Cell:

DSC00353.jpg

My Car In Place:

DSC00354.jpg

Video of my Power Run:

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/tallpaul25/?action=view&current=MOV00359.flv

Tallpaul said:
I'm reasonably confident of the accuracy of the result as a completely stock A3 1.8TQ made 182bhp which is right on the money.

And the 2 standard RS6's made slightly more than standard power too, so nothing wrong with the rollers at all.

Olly_K said:
And the 2 standard RS6's made slightly more than standard power too, so nothing wrong with the rollers at all.

Not that anyone said there was?

The S3 results were odd. But as i'm sure you are fully aware there are so many variables with RR's that no two will ever give the same results, so it's good to have a stock car there to act as a standard.

Here are my dyno plots. It's a shame that AMD don't provide the wheel-power results as it would be interesting to see the transmission losses. But i am happy with the shape of the curves and the figures are in the right ballpark for the modifications i have made.

Power Curve

powergraph.jpg

Torque Curve

TorqueGraph.jpg

kris_tdi said:
and mine was gash. tuning box has already been removed!!!

Think i'd gone before yours was run, what was the tuning box doing?

Tallpaul said:
Think i'd gone before yours was run, what was the tuning box doing?
nothign really, other than cutting the power and torque at around 3800 rpm(i mean in 200 rpm it goes from 160 bhp to 110), if it didnt just cut out looking at the graph where peak power should be it would be around 180 bhp not 160.

it hasnt changed the boost, just chucked more fuel in, remap time.

Secret Squirrel said:
@ Tallpaul. You're peak torque looks quite late to me. It looks like ~3500 rpm. Is that with the K03?

Yup, K03. Nothing odd about a K03 peaking Torque at 3500rpm.

Secret Squirrel said:
Ok. It's just my K03Sport peaks at 3000rpm.

Which remap have you got?

Most remapped K03Sport make peak boost at 4000rpm.

hoping to get a remap done soon, drivers in glasgow are doing a week of free trials, where you get your car chipped which lasts 5 hours driving time, and automatically expires

might give it a blast and see how it goes

theitalian3 said:
hoping to get a remap done soon, drivers in glasgow are doing a week of free trials, where you get your car chipped which lasts 5 hours driving time, and automatically expires

might give it a blast and see how it goes

just want to clarify that a trial remap will change its behaviour to simulate standard but will never expire as such. You end up with signatures of the tuners map still on the ecu.

if you wanted to go to another tuner for a different remap you would in most cases have to get reset back to the Audi standard before you can go elsewhere.

If you end up going with the map you have trialled then its not an issue.

I dont see the point of a trial myself, almost every tuners map will impress, its almost a given you will be back to buy!

Unless you are going technical and start logging boost curves, fuelling and making scientific comparisons of what the map is doing, most joe public buyers will simply love the shove in the back and the overall change in their cars performance.

Just be aware of what really happens with trial maps. :)

TallPaul what mods have you done to your engine? Is it just a remap?

Secret Squirrel said:
A custom remap by Mihnea Cotet.
I'm getting 220 lb/ft @ <2500rpm. I thought the K03 should make more lower down the rev range.
What fuel do you use?

It'd be interesting to see a graph of your torque. I can't recall seeing a 1.8T make peak torque that early - it's almost diesel-like.

Obviously the guy that mapped your ECU has put the peak torque there for a reason but it's not where i'd want it. Can you actually put the power down in 1st and 2nd. What lb/ft are you making at 4000 rpm and 5000rpm?

Yes, it is quite diesel like. But having a custom map, you get what you want, within reason.
It took four runs to get the mapping so we were both happy with it. Another run and Mihnea said it could be possible to squeeze a little more from it. Especially seeing as it can still be run on 95 RON fuel, but it never gets less than 97. But I was happy with it anyway, and I think Mihnea worked hard enough as it was.

Putting the power down is fine with quattro. It will sometimes spin in 1st and 2nd gear when exiting slow corners, but not much.

@ 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm it's making ~230 and 225 lb/ft.
I've got a dyno print here, I'll see if i can post it.

I hope you didn't take offence at my coments, I was genuinely surprised by your figures. But I haven't really been in contact with many other 1.8T owners over the years I've had mine, so I'm unfamiliar with what's normal.

Secret Squirrel said:
Yes, it is quite diesel like. But having a custom map, you get what you want, within reason.
It took four runs to get the mapping so we were both happy with it. Another run and Mihnea said it could be possible to squeeze a little more from it. Especially seeing as it can still be run on 95 RON fuel, but it never gets less than 97. But I was happy with it anyway, and I think Mihnea worked hard enough as it was.

Putting the power down is fine with quattro. It will sometimes spin in 1st and 2nd gear when exiting slow corners, but not much.

@ 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm it's making ~230 and 225 lb/ft.
I've got a dyno print here, I'll see if i can post it.

I hope you didn't take offence at my coments, I was genuinely surprised by your figures. But I haven't really been in contact with many other 1.8T owners over the years I've had mine, so I'm unfamiliar with what's normal.

Not offended by anything mate, don't worry about that :)

Seeing the graph would be good.

A map that makes 220lb/ft @ <2500rpm
peaks 230lb/ft @ 4000rpm
and holds 225lb/ft @ 5000rpm

all on 95ron without any timing pull sounds like something to see ;)

My car pinks like a bitch on 95ron and you can feel it pulling back loads past 5000rpm. With V-power 99ron it'll happily pull all the way to the redline.

The worst we saw whilst mapping was 1 degree on one cylinder, once.
It really loves V-Power though, and now that's what it gets most of the time.

This is a dyno sheet from a couple of years ago. Most of the cars running that day were having trouble with heatsoak, so i think it's stronger on the road than the figures show.

Excuse the thread hijack. I didn't mean for it to turn into a nob waving contest. lol

Secret Squirrel said:

This is a dyno sheet from a couple of years ago. Most of the cars running that day were having trouble with heatsoak, so i think it's stronger on the road than the figures show.

Excuse the thread hijack. I didn't mean for it to turn into a nob waving contest. lol
Interpro have a bit of a name for heatsoaking turbo cars especially vag ones,turbos have been know to go white hot,too many long runs.

Yes. I wouldn't recommend Interpro. They were running the cars too many times, and they couldn't seem to adjust for the different wheelbases. A few people needed new tyres afterwards.
You've got to love those dot-matrix printers they have.

You can see from the bulge of torque around 3000 rpm it pulls strong. Although it does feel quite flat after that, but it does keep going.

Wak said:
just want to clarify that a trial remap will change its behaviour to simulate standard but will never expire as such. You end up with signatures of the tuners map still on the ecu.

if you wanted to go to another tuner for a different remap you would in most cases have to get reset back to the Audi standard before you can go elsewhere.

If you end up going with the map you have trialled then its not an issue.

I dont see the point of a trial myself, almost every tuners map will impress, its almost a given you will be back to buy!

Unless you are going technical and start logging boost curves, fuelling and making scientific comparisons of what the map is doing, most joe public buyers will simply love the shove in the back and the overall change in their cars performance.

Just be aware of what really happens with trial maps. :)
I sampled both Revo AND APR before I decided which to go with. As it turns out I went with the second trial I took (APR). Maybe I'm just a sad so and so who wanted to shop around... :whistle2:

tommo-turbo said:
I sampled both Revo AND APR before I decided which to go with. As it turns out I went with the second trial I took (APR). Maybe I'm just a sad so and so who wanted to shop around... :whistle2:

Could APR flash your ECU with the new map with the expired REVO trial already on or did they have to flash it to an 'original' map first?

Ok guys. Just a note here to say I have an explanation that could explain the early torque on my car.
It seems I have a K03 turbo not a K03Sport. See my other post here.
I'm not one for posting false information, so I hope this puts it right.

Damn. I could have got a brand new K03Sport really cheap last year, but I thought I already had one. D'oh!
Oh well, I've already been looking at going down the K04 route, so I'll continue that way.

185g/s would roughly be 220bhp even if remapped airflow related to power in the same way it does on a stock car, which it doesn't.

To be honest 175 - 185g/s is about right for a stock S3/Leon Cupra R.

What FMIC and downpipe are you running?

SMIC and stock downpipe. I'm not sure how having no screens on the MAF and a homemade indution kit would effect the readings either.
It's a lot quicker that a TT225 in a drag race, I know that for sure. Proven at GTi International.

Secret Squirrel said:
SMIC and stock downpipe. I'm not sure how having no screens on the MAF and a homemade indution kit would effect the readings either.
It's a lot quicker that a TT225 in a drag race, I know that for sure. Proven at GTi International.

Your plot posted in this thread shows 231bhp @ 6000rpm-ish...

I'd love to know what you inlet air temps and CF's are at that engine speed.

What fuel were you mapped for/do you use?

Fuel is/was optimax/V-power. Mihnea did say the SMIC was a limiting factor. IIRC a larger downpipe loses torque, but can gain a few bhp.

It's not impossible for a K03 to pull the sort of torque you are seeing on the standard IC and downpipe, but the inlet temps would be causing the ECU to ****** your timing to maintain the air:fuel ratio and protect your engine... Does your exhaust have two lambda probes? I just find it hard to believe it's a genuine 230bhp+ at those revs.

Have you ever seen the K03 downpipe? It's shockingly narrow. A new DP will allow the potential for significant gains in power and torque; mind you, your remap sounds like it's wringing the neck of your K03 as it is.

Yes. Two lambda probes, no cats and a pretty straight through single box exhaust. There was no problems with ******, as Mihnea made a point of it and showed me the figures. I'm baffled myself TBH. I'm sure he was surprised at how well the car was responding too.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW.

Secret Squirrel said:
Yes. Two lambda probes, no cats and a pretty straight through single box exhaust. There was no problems with ******, as Mihnea made a point of it and showed me the figures. I'm baffled myself TBH. I'm sure he was surprised at how well the car was responding too.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW.
2 lambdas,mine only has 1? ,i still can't believe 230 from a ko3,i have been involved with seat's for a while before a3 and most ko3 ibizas even with fmic's ,highflow downpipes and cats etc,struggle to get 220 .Especially since a ko3 will drop off power at 5000 rpm,but yours doesn't,i think that your car may have had a ko3s swap before,it just doesn't add up?

I'm sure I've seen a second lambda, where the exhaust goes back to a single pipe after the cats.

Regarding the power, it's a strange one. The engine even picks up again at ~4.5k rpm, as you can see in the dyno plot. It did that even before the remap. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this with a 1.8T. It's almost like it's coming on cam.
Maybe the K03S was another upgrade it had when it was originally bought by the previous owner.
I'm going to have to have a poke around and see if I can identify the turbo.

Any luck with your plot yet AndyTQ?