me(S3)vs festa st

S3 03

Reaction score
cant get over this festa st ,i was following it off an island and both put our foot down and we was neck and neck u to 100mph then i started to pull away, dont no if something is wrong with the S3 just dont seem to pull anymore, any ideas wot mite be up with it.
or them 150bhp st's are fast as ****, my revoed gti golf used to give type r's a good run and thought my S3 would be better:wtf:

if i had only known bout the stripes doh! :keule: the car has felt funny a low speeds like surging abit when on part throttle.

Er, something wrong with your car me thinks as I showed one my **** down the dual carriageway the other day. They are quite nippy I must admit. Unless he has had something done to it other than the 20bhp stripes. Not as bad as getting beat by a Corsa like Defratos! (Joke I know it had a big turbo, but still....)

its not about power a almost standard lupo whooped my *** round croft last year,standard engine,standard exhaust,standard brakes just uprated suspenion

but not in a straight line, do u think it might be my standard dv

it must be a small car thing, i got wasted 2 weeks ago off i think it was a sooped up mini cooper s works, slammed, side skirts, front spoiler, big wheels and bucket seats, it was stunnin and seariously quick for a mini :asskicking:

Cooper s works would give an s3 a bit of a scare, fiesta ST not unless somthings wrong in my opinion. If you car is surging I'd get your MAF replaced ASAP and might as well get a new plastic DV at the same time.

how much for maf or can u clean/repair them

Get it remapped and you should do better next time!

Also get the car hooked up to vagcom and check out your MAF readings.

You'l know if your DV has gone as you will hear a fluttering noise when changing gear..

raymie said:
it must be a small car thing, i got wasted 2 weeks ago off i think it was a sooped up mini cooper s works, slammed, side skirts, front spoiler, big wheels and bucket seats, it was stunnin and seariously quick for a mini :asskicking:

Mini Cooper S Works are very quick, I'm not surprised at that. They have 210BHP and assuming they're a bit lighter than an S3 could mean a very close call.

only 500 approx in the country who would pay 22k for a 2wd mini

monkeytrousers said:
Mini Cooper S Works are very quick, I'm not surprised at that. They have 210BHP and assuming they're a bit lighter than an S3 could mean a very close call.

Mate the S3 wont have a chance in a straight line most 200bhp ish two wheel drive cars will be off.

mattyboy199 said:
Mate the S3 wont have a chance in a straight line most 200bhp ish two wheel drive cars will be off.

The 0-60 times are similar. Surely the S3 4WD gives it a head start at launch?

What is the 'official' 0-60 time of a 210 S3? Autocar has it at 6.4.

Not wanting to start a big debate but I followed an cooper s work convertible (a bit heavier) and he was only just pulling away. This was from nothing pulling out from a roundabout for a few miles down a dual carriageway. Plus the wife system cut in at several points. Surely an S3 would be ablt to hang on similar to mine. A remapped one would have slaughtered it.

People get so caught up with 0-60 times! It means nothing really!! Once you're above 30mph or so, all 4wd does (in a straight line) is slow you down due to transmission losses and added weight. I've raced a Impreza STI off the lights (At inters this year - so fun)... Off the line he had the lead, then i dropped into 2nd gear and absolutely pasted him! (he was a little embarassed i think as his missus was in the car hahaha). What i am saying, is that any smaller car with 2wd and ~200bhp, will definitely be either equal, or quicker than a standard S3 due to the weight difference.

monkeytrousers said:

i dont have an S3 i have a a4 1.8 turbo 220 bhp, so they r about half the weight for a start :p

Unless your A4 is a Quattro, with it being an avant will be a very similar weight to the S3.

RichA3Turbo said:
People get so caught up with 0-60 times!

I agree with you, however in a straight line from standing start it's a relevant measure, if that's what people want to compare. If we're using these figures to compare cars then 0-100mph sorts the wheat from the chaff. Turbo diesels give a good account of themselves up to 60, but in my experience they run out of puff beyond that (not trying to start a petrol v diesel debate by the way).

My mate has just bought festa ST, i was hoping to show him i could kick his *** but now even with the remap i'm scared too after all this rant :(

Dave

Power to weight ratio is a good measuring stick IMO and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm certain the cooper s is about 187bhp per tonne and the GP is over 200 (203 I think)...standard S3 is 155 and have no idea what the fiesta is because they don't interest me.

Check out the figures here www.letstorquebhp.co.uk these are based on weight / bhp calculations & make no allowance for gearing hence the 0-60 time of the S3. Imagine a 5 speed gear box eh.

F**K SAKE :puke2: a take it the ****** ka guy is giving somebody 79.99 to take the devil horns :w00t:

I would imagine that the power to weight ratios of a standard S3 and Fiesta ST aernt a million miles apart especially when you also begin to factor in transmisson lose and think about wheel horsepower..

You need a huge power to weight advantage to **** of from another car in a straight line.

Power to weight comes out as something like...

S3 = 225bhp, 1423kg = 0.158bhp per kg x 1000 = 158bhp per tonne

Fester = 150bhp, 1137kg (FAT LITTLE B*****D!) = 0.132bhp per kg x 1000 = 132bhp per tonne

(Assuming of course 225PS to be 225bhp and 150PS to be 150bhp)

So there's 26bhp per tonne in it; which of course is enough when you look at that alone. But when you consider additional weight in the vehicle (in passengers, objects and fuel), gearing (both in terms of ratio and also the interface between the seat and the gearstick), general mechanical condition, quickness of driver's eyes, weight of driver's foot etc. etc. it probably means that road races prove less than nothing ;)

...You do three 1/4s in his and he does three 1/4s in yours, then swap back - that'll sort it out!

Regards,

Rob.

S3 03, i think you defo got a problem. I came up against a Fester ST white with the 20bhp add on blue stripes down the middle and on a dual carriway, he pulled out in front of me, actually slowing me down! booted it down the straight and passed him quite comfortably, with roundabout rapidly coming up, dropped her into 3rd & anchered the car round sweetly to the first exit, with a bemused look on his face....i dont suppose the TDi badge goes down well for many a petrol head, ha! BTW my car has now been mapped! Beware this Slug is faster....;)

That letstorquebhp website has the fez ST down to do a 16.7 1/4 mile........which coincidentally is the same as my golf TDI (90bhp originally) does it in! Get a new MAF, DV and a re-map and then go have a play.

Alternatively swap your S3 with my Golf and I'll sort it out :p (j/k)