s3 sounds like a diesel!!!!

Audiman99

Reaction score
Another question guys, just wanna know if all s3's sound like diesels on cold start, mine sounds terrible, its ok once warmed up. Btw its pretty high milage but had most engine parts replaced, anything i can do?

Allan

How high is high mileage??

Silly question but have you checked the oil?, S3's are known to use a bit of oil.

Well mine does anyway!!

Yes, they do sound a bit ropey when cold started. Mine sounds like that the first couple of minutes, and has done ever since I got it at 18K miles and 2 years old.

What oil should I be using with my 2001 facelift S3?

It's a bit low on oil and sounds a bit rough in the morning too!

Cheers,

ICE

Ya mines on 84k its 2001 facelift model, ill check last time it had a service, ya whats the best oil to use on these cars?

Allan

OH MY GOD, im in trouble just chcked the oil and theres virtually nothing in there, like a tiny drip on the bottom of the dip stick, not only that but a tiny bit of plastic broke off the dipstick and fell down the hole into the oil! I can put more oil in, but the plastic in the oil will it get into my engine??????

HELP!

only stuff i got in garage is castrol edge sport 0w-40, says for high performance engines, can i use this?

Jeez that doesn't sound good mate! If it's any consolation, I've just spilled a tin of paint all over the floor in the back of mine!

Peloton said:
Jeez that doesn't sound good mate! If it's any consolation, I've just spilled a tin of paint all over the floor in the back of mine!

lol

how you manage that

Peloton said:

lol

how you manage that

lol Damn Subaru tried to get away from me & on a corner I heard a thump. Didn't think anything of it till the fumes hit me! The carpets absolutely wrecked but it didn't touch the seats so it could have been worse I suppose.

Jonesy said:
only stuff i got in garage is castrol edge sport 0w-40, says for high performance engines, can i use this?

In an absolute emergency you can use a really small amount of any synthetic oil. However, assuming your dashboard oil warning light has not lit up, you will be OK to drive it a few miles to get some proper stuff.

No idea about the plastic bit dropping off, sorry.

Jonesy said:
OH MY GOD, im in trouble just chcked the oil and theres virtually nothing in there, like a tiny drip on the bottom of the dip stick, not only that but a tiny bit of plastic broke off the dipstick and fell down the hole into the oil! I can put more oil in, but the plastic in the oil will it get into my engine??????

HELP!

Might explain why it sounded like a diesel then!! lol

Any oil is better than no oil!!

Get some good stuff though, maybe you should flush it out!!

Guys, I dunno what your on about!! My S3 never sounds "rough" or "like a diesel"... Not even on the coldest of days!! If yours does, then there's something up I suggest! Possibly you have the wrong oil in it.

As for what oil to use, there's a sticker on the bonnet lip telling you what. I can't remember what weight it is... 5w 40 comes to mind I THINK... Basically, go to the Shell garage and its "fully synthetic" -THE MOST expensive stuff they have. The last lot I bought was about £35 for 4 litres. It is completely normal for the S3 to use a bit of oil. It WILL TELL YOU when its running low, or MUCH more importantly -when the quality of the oil is poor. Nevertheless check it regularly and I mean *regularly*... Like, weekly!

NEVER cheap out on the oil... The S3 NEEDS lightweight fully synthetic stuff. Don't use junk... Forget about Tesco own brand rubbish, stick to Shell or equivilent. The book says to only use "Audi oil" which I happen to know is rebranded Shell.

cant remember the rating but it used to be castrol longlife 2 has now changed its nane to castrol edge

S3 YEA said:
Guys, I dunno what your on about!! My S3 never sounds "rough" or "like a diesel"... Not even on the coldest of days!! If yours does, then there's something up I suggest! Possibly you have the wrong oil in it.

As for what oil to use, there's a sticker on the bonnet lip telling you what. I can't remember what weight it is... 5w 40 comes to mind I THINK... Basically, go to the Shell garage and its "fully synthetic" -THE MOST expensive stuff they have. The last lot I bought was about £35 for 4 litres. It is completely normal for the S3 to use a bit of oil. It WILL TELL YOU when its running low, or MUCH more importantly -when the quality of the oil is poor. Nevertheless check it regularly and I mean *regularly*... Like, weekly!

NEVER cheap out on the oil... The S3 NEEDS lightweight fully synthetic stuff. Don't use junk... Forget about Tesco own brand rubbish, stick to Shell or equivilent. The book says to only use "Audi oil" which I happen to know is rebranded Shell.

Interesting statements there, the VAG 1.8T engine is well regarded to sound like a bag of spanners on start up, certainly all of the 1.8T cars I've been in don't sound great when cold.

I've also been advised against getting oil that's too thin when cold by a number of tuning companies.

I'm pretty sure the S3 doesn't warn about oil level, it warns about oil pressure, if that happens your engine will not be happy. Too many people on here don't seem to be checking the oil level in their cars, it's a high performance engine and worse it's got a turbo, you should really check the oil every tank or two of petrol especially if you drive hard as they will burn oil, if you use high engine speeds and loads it should be pretty close to the max mark the whole time.

If you want good quality oil at cheap prices go to opieoils and get on of the ester based oils in the motul or silkolene ranges that meets the correct S3 spec (and get a discount at the same time).

I'm pretty sure the Quantum Synta Gold old that most Audi / VW dealers use is an Esso (ExxonMobil) product.

Well i filled it with the castrol edge sport 0w-40 and it sounds much better, still worried about that ****** plastic bit, if it goes thro my engine im in touble.

Weird how the light never came up to tell me its low, cos i swear the oil was almsot empty, the dipstick had like a drip on the end.

god_thats_quick said:
I just checked my manual because I couldn't remember 100%, as I said there is no oil low warning it's oil pressure which is a three beep very serious problem (on my pre-facelift S3 anyway)

My facelift S3 definitely has a low oil warning light, I've had it come on when I was new to the car and hadn't checked it for months.

It's on page 85 of my S3 manual (printed in 2001): "Check engine oil level: if this symbol appears, check the oil level with the dipstick as soon as possible and put oil in as necessary."

Maybe only on facelifts then?

Cruise control is page 96 in mine!

I undestand that if the oil low warning light does come on then it is SERIOUSLY low. I check mine once a month and it always needs a bit putting in.

According to the book for my 99 S3 (page 75) it states "The oil pressure warning lamp is not a monitor for the oil level. The oil level must be checked regularly, preferably every time you fill the tank".

As for the S3 sounding rough as you start it I remember an early roadtest report from Top Gear which said it sounded like something agricultural by Massey Ferguson.
Mine always has sounded rough in the morning as it turns over but runs sweet as a nut after that.

As mentioned above, all this info is in the FAQ at the top of this forum. The main ones are Castrol SLX (Not SLX 2) or Mobil1.

Oh and all 1.8T's sound like diesels on start up. Perfectly normal

If it is your oil pressure warning light that comes on and it does so when you go round a corner then you are not very far away from a wrecked engine. Mine rattles on startup like a diesel and always has from new

Well Im not sure about the warning light but my QTS sounds like a bag of nuts and bolts when its cold and like a slightly samller bag of nuts and bolts when its warm... Think my idler pulley on the auxillery belt has seen better days. Why does everything go wrong at once!!??
As for your rogue piece of plastic, jonesy, Id be a bit concerned althought there is a possibility the filter might catch it Depending which way the flow goes throught it. Did you do a complete oil change including draining the old stuff? (Silly question im sure).

Dave.

monkeytrousers said:
Cruise control is page 96 in mine!

I undestand that if the oil low warning light does come on then it is SERIOUSLY low. I check mine once a month and it always needs a bit putting in.

Mine to, it came on once & never again. It always gets checked once a mouth & thats doing say 800 miles. Usually requires a top up but this does varie. I use the Mobile One oil, basically the best they sell whatever that is.

Audi spare oil pouches contain the mobile one long life oil, so i gop by that.

the s3 being a turbo,will no doubt have FORGED pistons,and yes will sound a wee bit like a tractor on cold start,as mine does as well. the early cosworth was quoted as sounding like a LONDON TAXI when warming up.as for the bit of plastic,cant see this getting past the oil pick-up 'D'

derickcos said:
the s3 being a turbo,will no doubt have FORGED pistons,and yes will sound a wee bit like a tractor on cold start,as mine does as well. the early cosworth was quoted as sounding like a LONDON TAXI when warming up.as for the bit of plastic,cant see this getting past the oil pick-up 'D'

good to hear about the plastic bit, was a bit worried but thought there would be a filter or something to block anything that aint oil.

Car does sound much better now ive run some miles with the new oil, will do a fresh oil change soon when i have time, gonna get some decent oil.

god_thats_quick said:
Interesting statements there, the VAG 1.8T engine is well regarded to sound like a bag of spanners on start up, certainly all of the 1.8T cars I've been in don't sound great when cold.

I've also been advised against getting oil that's too thin when cold by a number of tuning companies.

I'm pretty sure the S3 doesn't warn about oil level, it warns about oil pressure, if that happens your engine will not be happy. Too many people on here don't seem to be checking the oil level in their cars, it's a high performance engine and worse it's got a turbo, you should really check the oil every tank or two of petrol especially if you drive hard as they will burn oil, if you use high engine speeds and loads it should be pretty close to the max mark the whole time.

If you want good quality oil at cheap prices go to opieoils and get on of the ester based oils in the motul or silkolene ranges that meets the correct S3 spec (and get a discount at the same time).

I'm pretty sure the Quantum Synta Gold old that most Audi / VW dealers use is an Esso (ExxonMobil) product.

Hmm... Well, I can't really argue that. Mine does not sound rough and it certainly does warn of low oil.

Totally and completely agree about the need to check oil regularly. It does seem to be the case that the S3 gets through it somehow rather smartish! :wacko:

not sure weither this has anything to do with this thread but my 99 S3 used to use a bit of oil ,about a litre every 6 to 8 hundred miles, no smoke!!!!, but the engine still let go, there was plenty of oil in the car before the engine let go,since the engine change thye car has used zero oil in 3000 miles