Custom Code remap...

Markb

Reaction score
Hi guys has anyone had a custom code remap on their Audi A3 1.8T?

Opinions please.

Will be looking at the stage 2 map.

Cheers Mark.

I know Simon (265STW) has Custom Code stage 2 on his TQ (and that's 'makes me want to sell a limb' quick)...

Regards,

Rob.

Its true I do have custom code and the phase 2 aswell.

I didnt actually intend on having it done but I went up to JBS with a mate for a drive out. The car had been running rubbish anyway so i asked James to take it out for a spin. He hooked it up to the lap top and started listing all the fault codes with it. Told me a few things wrong with the car like the narrower than standard powerflow exhaust was blowing. The car was massively overfueling and the APR chip was basically a bodged job that wasn't actually for my car and had seen some messing with files to get it to work. The map was also set for american fuel and temps. The most worrying thing though was the fact the N75 protection map had been overwritten with the standard map meaning there was no limp home, the car would just keep going which wouldnt have been good should something have gone wrong with N75 or actuator. I decided to let James stick Custom Code on there and sort out all the problems. The change in performance, he said, would be like night and day!

He wasn't wrong, I picked up the car a couple of days later and was well impressed with the difference. The drive on the whole was superb. The car pulled and boosted loads better than the APR ever did and 90-120mph on private stretches of road is loads better. In addition to this i'm same amount of fuel as before but I get to drive the car alot harder no it's not so lazy to get going.

Im booked in for Blue Flame turbo back system and cat tomorrow so will be making a trip back over to JBS to have it tweeked as the powerflow strangled it top end.

I trust very few people with my car, especially leaving it with them for a couple of days but the JBS service was excellent. Someone even waited there after hours (till about 7.30) and as James hadn't been there to hand the car over to me he gave me a call the next day to make sure everything was okay etc etc.

My S3 is getting a custom code remap this thursday and I'll let you know what I think if you want?

who offer this? Is it a franchise like Revo?

I can vouch for Custom Code too. I had it on my Octavia RS and it really is superb. The Revo I had previously was good but Custom Code was as different again. Very smooth, nice linear power delivery and pulled all the way up to the red. Obviously with Phase Two you can also specify exactly how you want it.

Recommended.

bantam1 said:
Midland VW in Cannock.

Cool that's where I was going to get mine done. As I know Jody quite well now.

Are you having stage 1 or 2? How long have they quoted to do it?

Markb said:
Cool that's where I was going to get mine done. As I know Jody quite well now.

Are you having stage 1 or 2? How long have they quoted to do it?

Yep he persuaded me last week to go for the custom code! Getting phase 1 with Forge TIP and having another little niggle sorted whilst there. Was told a 'good few hours'.

ah all part of the fun :)

Think Ill do mine when I whip the turbo out.

Just a quick update as have had the custom code remap on my S3 for a few days now. I have to echo the comments above as I have found it great and it really has transformed the car. There is more torque right across the rev range, although it is still easy to drive quietly when you want to. When gunning it the acceleration from 3K upwards is impressive to say the least and the car pulls right up the revs and doesn't run out of breath at all. As advertised, the acceleration is very smooth and even seems more linear than the standard map.

The only caveat is that this is my only experience of a remapped S3 and so I can't compare it to other remaps unfortunately.

B.

As another S3 owner also thinking about it and not doing much more!

Can i ask the question of cost and new expect BHP? If there is one?

Thanks and you sound super happy with your remap, enjoy!

Jampublic said:
As another S3 owner also thinking about it and not doing much more!

Can i ask the question of cost and new expect BHP? If there is one?

Thanks and you sound super happy with your remap, enjoy!

Phase 1 (generic) remap is £450 plus VAT and IIRC figures of 260ish are quoted on the custom code website.

I've had my S3 for 2 years now and had put off getting it remapped till now as well.

My mate gav (otherwise known as the reason i have an s3) had a revo trial by the guy who became s3. decided to go for it just as he swapped over. took the custom code map instead.

He was extremely happy - said it was smoother and yes not too bad on fuel effieciency either. still happy 18 months on.

You are comparing trial with actual, but thats the closest i've been.

Feedback - definately positive - i'd go for it - but my head gaskets gone - aarrrgghhh

I used custom code on my 1st s3 mk1 and the quality of work and tuning was top and will be picking up my new 2008 s3 this week and will be mapped by james again in the coming weeks so will post results. It's got 3" turbo back with custom back box induction kit so will be intrigued to see what results I get