Ebay FMIC

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey fellas, how's everyone? I'm in Greece right now so I'm missin ma car:blownose:, besides the point I just fitted a Star performance FMIC (as some of you might remember) but ever since it's been fit acceleration feels slow especially around higher rpms 5000+ and over, turbo spool also seems to be slower. I think it's because I don't have the SMIC installed. Anyhows I was lookin at ebay and they have quite a selection of FMIC what I wanted to ask is has anyone bought one from ebay? if so which one? and would you guys recommend it or not? cause I don't want to pay the ridiculous price of £700+ and since I've already got the pipe work done all I need is the IC core. Any suggestions?

P.S. What's the max dimension FMIC that can be fit on an S3? cause the one I have it pretty thin, cheers for any help given.

P.S.S. I also sometimes get a sort of whistling noise from the front (FMIC) when it hits high rpms, any thoughts on why that could be?

id agree. fit the SMIC as it was designed.

The whistle noise is about as good an indicator to a boost leak you will ever get!

this will also help explain the perfomance issue.

maybe it is that your FMIC is too big for the boost your making.

dummi said:
maybe it is that your FMIC is too big for the boost your making.

Nope don't think so, if anything the volume of it will actually be too small without the SMIC, but that should just lead to higher temps and quicker (not slower) responses from the turbo as there's less air in the system.

Yup, I'd agree with what everyone's saying and put your SMIC in like it should be. Think that was mentioned when you were fitting it? Inadequate cooling could be the reason for your power loss at high rpm, have you had the intake temps checked with VAG-COM?

Sticking on the biggest FMIC you can find on ebay might not best a good idea either. If it's too big you can get a pressure drop in the system, you'll block off the radiator and you'd need to modify or remove the front crash bar.

Depending on what type of whistling you're getting, it'll either be a boost leak or just the sound of the air flow with less restriction (a bit like the noise from fitting Samco hoses).

It isn't because of the smic, it's either a leaking pipe/core or restictive pipework core.Check pressure at inlet manfold and after turbo.

fair, enough guys, I also believe I need to fit the SMIC, only thing is I didn't have all the necessary pipe work and found out too late, but thanks to Jojo he gave me the instructions on what I need. So now I'm going to fit the SMIC myself at some point in the coming weeks.

Now what I wanted to ask is how can I figure out where I'm gettin the boost leak from? I'm gonna take the front bumper on and then do I just rev it and see where the noise is coming from? is it that simple? and then just tighten the joint?

check all the joints. with help of someone else you could rev it, 2.5k /3K rpm upwards whilst painting/covering the joints with soapy water.

ie fairy liquid and a little water to make a strong mix.

if you get bubbles, you got a leak.