brake pads and discs?

dantheman1986

Reaction score
what would you guys recomend as beibng the best value ones? i dont want to spend loads on them but i dont wana get cheap crap, also i want to keep the sensors so they will need the wear sensors

just order the OEM replacements from the likes of EuroCarParts or VWSpares.co.uk, none of them are going to be any worse than the Audi ones even if they are not the same make (which most of the stuff I ordered from Eurocarparts last year was as ATE make the calipers etc)

I was thinking of EBC turbo grooved and dimpled.. about 70 squid per disc and about 35 for standard ones anyone used these?

silver75 said:
I was thinking of EBC turbo grooved and dimpled.. about 70 squid per disc and about 35 for standard ones anyone used these?

Anyone ever figure out what the dimples actually do? Or are they there just to make the discs look drilled once the dimples fill with brake dust? I'd go with Tarox grooved discs (G88), and either Tarox, Mintex, or EBC red stuff pads.

I think the the drilled discs are meant o be weaker or something?
"The blind drilled holes break down surface gases when braking from speed but do not weaken the rotor cross section as can happen with through drilling, thereby lessening the chance of rotors cracking over time and heavy use"

Ive been looking at ta.rox and red dot also, but the EBC discs look the most value for money, i dont think they do just grooved discs

Black Diamond Discs using the new Black Diamond Predator Fast Track Pad!

I had Tarxo G88 on mine. Dont rate them at all. Waste of money! Same with the pads. I had to bodge the sensors on the pads as the pad and car both had female plugs. Brake pedal felt poor too.

EBC greenstuff are just factory stuff and create alot of dust, same with the discs, redstuff pads are okay though!

''EBC greenstuff are just factory stuff and create alot of dust'' :ohmy:

This surprises me alot!

I admit I have not used these on my S£ but I used to have a Octavia vRS & I used these pads & they were not dustless but they gave off a significant amount less dust then any other brake pads I have had on any car.

Iv hear mixed reviews of black diamonds some say they are good some say they are just standard discs painted black and warp easily. I also hear the black stuff comes off and stinks.

silver75 said:
Iv hear mixed reviews of black diamonds some say they are good some say they are just standard discs painted black and warp easily. I also hear the black stuff comes off and stinks.

I think this is another of those we'll never agree threads!! e.g. 265STW not likng the Tarox G88 and pads whereas I think they've been great on mine. EBC hardly ever seem to get good user reviews though, although someone will be along to correct me shortly!

Cheers,

B

I went to GSF and got brembo std replacement discs and zimmerman ( i htink thats what they were) pads, all for about 115 quid all in. In the end my discs looked ok but I changed them anyhow btw its done 43k

I wasn't going to post this, but I'm an honest bloke and I don't want to see people make the same mistake as I did...

I would certainly NOT recommend the EBC disks, they are simply not up to the job IMO. I made the mistake of buying some, done 7000 miles on them (with green stuff pads) and they have started to wobble/vibrate badly under forceful braking at about 80mph.

When you read up on this problem, some people say the disks are warped, some people say its pad material transferred to the disk ("spotting") and it just needs sanding away with garnet sand-paper.

And it is a common problem, search around. There was some real slating of these disks on Scooby net.

I performed a mild sanding down of the disks, but within about 5 hard-ish stops, the vibration was back. I'm back on my old OEM disks now and no vibration.

I have to stress that this possible warpage or spotting has occurred during everyday commuting of 52 miles, and 2 hours, mostly on the motorway. What braking I have done, was left a little bit later than normal, but we are not talking track-style braking here. Just more force, left a little later - as you would expect you should be able to do with "performance" disks and pads. In fairness the retardation was pretty good, better than standard, but clearly the quality is just not there.

Having taken the disks off, I have noticed that the grooves and dimples get filled with brake dust from the pads. This solidifies in the grooves. So it could be this extra material is perhaps causing them to be unbalanced. I had the run-out checked but they were fine - so in theory not warped.

Also, the green stuff pads produce almost the same amount of brake dust as the standard pads in my experience. I was disappointed. Plus the dust is harder to get of your alloys onces its on.

I have not yet contacted EBC about this. I might do, but can't be *****. It was such a waste of money.

I can't be more honest and levelled about this experience guys. Trust me, those are the facts above.

AL

AL B cheers for that as i was seriously considering those discs:icon_thumright:

No problem Silver.

EBC's site actually points the finger at bad fitting, causing Disk Thickness Variation (DTV).

see here, point 5, http://www.ebcbrakes.com/typicalq&a.html

Perhaps thats what has happened in my case, but they were fitted by Awesome GTi who are very reputable, and I'm sure they know what they are doing.

But the tips there on the EBC site probably stand for all disks. Just make sure the hub, disk bolt face, and wheel bolt face (whatever its called) is clean and even. And make sure everything is tightened up evenly.

Good luck mate.

AL

Black diamond combi up front and drilled on the rears with predator pads.
Vast improvement over OEM