I've got the 5 hour free trail from revo on my S3

S3MHT

Remap Do I or Don't I???????
Reaction score
I got the free 5 hour trail last night from revo on my S3 , I was expecting a lot more from it. aparently it takes the car to about 260bhp (from 210)

Havent pushed it too much YET! but from what i can take from it so far the acceleration (0-60) doesn't feel much different, but mid range there is definatly more pull. 3rd gear seams to last ages compared to when standard which is a good thing.

It lasts 5 hours of actual driving not just 5 hours from when you have it done, it counts down when the speed is above 0 so if your not driving it doesnt count down. So will get a few days out of it.

I will keep leaving comments on the performance as the days go on. I suppose i'll notice the difference more when its gone and i want it back :)

all in all im trying to find out if its worth the £575 it costs to get done

Worth baring in mind that the free trial is a toned down version of the full code. Not exactly sure, but i think it's around 80% of the actual power you'd get from the full remap.

Plus it'll take a little while for your ECU to fully adapt to it's new parameters. If it's not making you grin by 3 hours in to the trial i'd be suprised.

If it's the non-dbw AGU engine then definately no. I'm pretty sure that pre-2000 the ECU used on the A3 1.8T doesn't work with the free trial as they have to physically remove the ECU from the car to upload the software.

will i still be able to switch back to standard mapping, even as mentioned above, they have to remove the ecu to program it?

skanky said:
will i still be able to switch back to standard mapping, even as mentioned above, they have to remove the ecu to program it?

Yes, but that's all you can do. SPS1 will work and be able to switch between stock and performance modes. The additional features of SPS2 and 3 are not compatible.

tempted to go for it, though i would've liked to trial it out on my car. like the original poster, i'd too like to know if its worth the £340ish it would cost me..

skanky said:
tempted to go for it, though i would've liked to trial it out on my car. like the original poster, i'd too like to know if its worth the £340ish it would cost me..

I have a '98 1.8T Sport and i consider the extra power from REVO to be worth every penny. You have to run with super-unleaded though, but an extra £3-4 a tank isn't much bother.

Tallpaul said:
I have a '98 1.8T Sport and i consider the extra power from REVO to be worth every penny. You have to run with super-unleaded though, but an extra £3-4 a tank isn't much bother.

yeh i run the car on shell optimax had a decent run in it today it pulls a lot better between 70 - 100 but im after more torque better 0 -60 time

I’m also thinking about getting the 5 hour trail too, just to see what the performance is like. Also SPS2 Serial Port Switch, will this be exactly the same as having the car remapped? Because SPS2 seems like the cheaper option than having to pay £499*

rraghvani said:
I’m also thinking about getting the 5 hour trail too, just to see what the performance is like. Also SPS2 Serial Port Switch, will this be exactly the same as having the car remapped? Because SPS2 seems like the cheaper option than having to pay £499*
im sure someone will correct me but the way i see it, is that you still need to get it remapped, but the SPS2 will allow you to change the revo mapping, not the standard audi one.

or i could be talking absolute tosh, in which case someone who knows will be along shortly :)

yes you have to get it remapped then you have to buy the switch for extra not sure on how much the switch is but the remap itself is £574 inc VAT

i was under the impressioin that sps 1 was the remap sps2 was that you could turn it on or off and that sps3 was the one that you could change the the settings that the program uses

No, The remap is seperate you can get the remap

sps1 is just a basic switch for on/off

sps2 you can change a few things yourself

sps3 you can do the same as sps1 and 2 and you can also change boost
settings and you can change something else to cant remember what
though

Tallpaul said:
You have to run with super-unleaded though, but an extra £3-4 a tank isn't much bother.
super unleaded, i take it thats shell optimax then?

are any other fuel i could use as well, actually theres a shell garage about 2 minutes away from there, so that shouldnt be too big a problem but just wondering about the times im out and about running out of fuel and cant find a shell garage anywhere..

revo and sps 3 is a good bit of kit, keep track of timing/inlets with vag-com and alter boost/timing to suit.

I had mine (5hr trial) remapped Yesterday, by VAG Techniques (sonning Common, Reading) saw a chap there called Sean, top man.
I was really suprised by the change (Sean says its 85% of full remap) much better mid range torque, not a great deal differnt off the mark, also feels to have a little less turbo lag.
I think its deffinatly worth it, as all the already remapped peeps keep saying. :)

i phoned the people at www.bigboyztoys.co.uk and asked about getting a trial on a NDBW A3 and predictably they said that wasnt possibly.

however they did say that they do a 30day "trial" where if i wasnt happy with it within that time, i'd bring the car back and they'll revert it back to the factory settings and give me a full refund!

deffo tempted now! :D

skanky said:
i phoned the people at www.bigboyztoys.co.uk and asked about getting a trial on a NDBW A3 and predictably they said that wasnt possibly.

however they did say that they do a 30day "trial" where if i wasnt happy with it within that time, i'd bring the car back and they'll revert it back to the factory settings and give me a full refund!

deffo tempted now! :D

Yup, all REVO dealers will give you a 'no questions asked' refund within 30 days for any remap on any car.

Never heard of anyone taking it though :biggrin:

The 5 hour trail has ran out now and i've now realised the difference. my S3 now feels slow compared to how it used to be. I went on a 50 mile trip down the motorway last week and the pull even in 6th gear was superb. and now even though the S3 is still quick it's not a patch on how it was.

So for anyone one that is wondering the REVO remap is very good and i would say is worth the money!

I did find that on the display my MPG went up after getting it done but it was lying because it used loads of fuel and i didnt drive like a lunatic that often :)

Also I would say if you dont have the £570 to get the remap don't get the trail because went it runs out you WILL want it back and you will be dissapointed if you can't get it. feels like a different car. I was told that the power increase is a lot better on a 180bhp 1.8t A3 (by REVO) so if you have one get it done!!! you'll be amazed

Hope this answers everybodys questions on the remaps

I had the trial last week too.... and I'm in the same boat of missing it already.. it really does make a lovely difference.

titliest said:
I had mine (5hr trial) remapped Yesterday, by VAG Techniques (sonning Common, Reading) saw a chap there called Sean, top man.
I was really suprised by the change (Sean says its 85% of full remap) much better mid range torque, not a great deal differnt off the mark, also feels to have a little less turbo lag.
I think its deffinatly worth it, as all the already remapped peeps keep saying. :)

So will you pay the £500 odd price tag for 10mins just to plug in and remap your ECU!?
Any idea of figures? BHP increase? Or am I missing something?

:think:

Jampublic said:
So will you pay the £500 odd price tag for 10mins just to plug in and remap your ECU!?

Roughly 15% BHP increase and 25% torque increase

Hi,

I think some remaps, limit the torque produced in 1st and 2nd gears. Ring REVO and check, but I'm sure I've heard this before regarding most tuners remaps.

But on saying that you should still see an improvement in a 0-60 time, circa 5.9s, especially if they raise the rev limit slightly to 7000 rpm. This usually means you should be able to hit 60mph in 2nd, rather than 55-ish as in a standard car.

AL

Jampublic said:

revo's site has rough figures, obviously not all that accurate but gives a general idea iirc.

JamS3 said:
You will never hit 60mph in second due to the gearing!

I can't speak from experience, as my car is not remapped, but I'm sure people who have had the rev limit increase, can reach 60 in 2nd.

I'm sure someone, if there is anyone left on here from the old days, will correct me if I'm wrong. But that is what I was led to believe. But I may be wrong. :)

AL

Mines Does... 60 in 2ND Gear!!!!!

AMD map has now gone and My AGGRESIVE Revo Map is on...

Im loving it, absolutely superb!! Remember to bring a spare pair of underpants!

I thought people had said that when the Revo trial expires that it "reverts" to something that may not be the same as what you originally had, and that the settings it reverts to actually seem worse than what you had before the trial?

benk said:
I thought people had said that when the Revo trial expires that it "reverts" to something that may not be the same as what you originally had, and that the settings it reverts to actually seem worse than what you had before the trial?

No. After the trial the ECU reverts to it's stock Audi-set parameters exactly the same parameters that it used before REVO had been anywhere near it.

The reason people think/have reported that the settings it reverts to are 'worse' than the original ones are two-fold:

Firstly once you've lost that extra 20% power your car feels slow, perhaps it 'feels' slower than it was before but that's generally because you've got used to the extra power.

Secondly the Bosch ECU in your car is smart, it adapts certain parameters to your driving style, fuel used, air temperatures and a load of other things. Running around for 5 hours with your foot to the floor on high boost and generating relatively large inlet air temperatures will create a set of conditions that your ECU will adapt to. Suddenly reverting to your old power levels and driving style will leave the ECU in a position it is unfamilier with; it will quickly re-adapt but for the first hour or two's driving your car may be noticeably sluggish. This is not damaging nor is it permanent.

It reverts back to Revo's stock code, it wont be the original Audi code you had as they will have wiped that when they uploaded your trial.
I remember hearing before I had a Revo trial that a lot of people had this issue with Revo std code being slower than normal VAG code even after an ECU reset, whether this is just a feeling as you said or actual truth I never actually found anybody that could back it up with power runs etc. It could be possible that because Revo upload a generic std code to your car that maybe there are different revisions within VAG and some will have a power reduction with Revo std code where as others wont have any diference due to the code they had in the first place.

AndyM said:
It reverts back to Revo's stock code, it wont be the original Audi code you had as they will have wiped that when they uploaded your trial.
I remember hearing before I had a Revo trial that a lot of people had this issue with Revo std code being slower than normal VAG code even after an ECU reset, whether this is just a feeling as you said or actual truth I never actually found anybody that could back it up with power runs etc. It could be possible that because Revo upload a generic std code to your car that maybe there are different revisions within VAG and some will have a power reduction with Revo std code where as others wont have any diference due to the code they had in the first place.

a simple analogy for how the the ECU is reverted to stock:

If you have a spreadsheet table full of numbers and you changed them and saved the changes, the table would be differant. If somebody else comes along and puts the original numbers back in and saves it again, then the spreadsheet will be identicle to how it was originaly; the fact that somebody else typed the numbers is irrelevant.

If you are worried by it at all, discuss this with the REVO dealer before you have the trial. I am 100% happy that the trial causes no permanent differance to the ECU, any potential customer should do whatever they need to satisfy themselves as well.

mazzy said:
what if your engine buggers up?? damage to engine? hardware etc...

as some are very cautious??

Presumably the cautious types don't go in for tuning their cars?

Even VAG had tuned the 1.8T to 240bhp (or was it 260?) by the end of their run of using it.

I've been tinkering with cars for as long as i can drive and have a good feel for what is safe (relativley) and what is risky. But that's just me, if something worries you significantly and you can't satisfy yourself that it'll be ok then don't do it.

I'm not trying to persuade people to do things, just speaking from my experience :)

i've already got a revo stage 2 almost.... pretty aggresive man!

i remember i went to amd and didnt sign anything thats all. Would remap dealers usually make you sign something??